• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We are redoing one of our bathrooms and while looking at new tubs, the whirlpool - Air bath models look enticing. Reviews seem hard to come by online. Opinions are all over the place.

What's your experience with these? Do they last 5 years, 10 or 2? Do/did you use them as much as you thought? Any other info you can pass along will be great.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We are redoing one of our bathrooms and while looking at new tubs, the whirlpool - Air bath models look enticing. Reviews seem hard to come by online. Opinions are all over the place.

What's your experience with these? Do they last 5 years, 10 or 2? Do/did you use them as much as you thought? Any other info you can pass along will be great.
    Had one for near 30 years. Use it 3-6 times a year. Have been talking about repurposing the space for a big walk-in shower, with no glass or doors. Might put in a small soak tub if there would be room. But a tub is not the draw it was 25 years ago and a better shower is a nice plus when selling.

If the home is a ranch style, on resale, it may appeal to older folks, and tub is more important. If you or your wife like baths a lot then it will be nice. But if this is just a dream of relaxing in the tub and not a part of your normal life already, you likely will end up like many others, always planning to make time for a relaxing whirlpool bath but rarely ever getting time for one, the super shower will get used a lot.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I bought a repo 12 years ago. Part of the remodel included the bathrooms. Neither bathroom was finished with any kind of tub. 12 years later, I haven't regretted it once.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area

House we bought had one in it ......
    The one we had probably would have lasted 20 years or more .......because it never got used . 2 times in 6 years .
    All I could ever think about was the extra water going into the septic .......City sewers obviously a non issue .
    Replaced by a very efficient Shower Spa set up .

Lpherr

Occupied
    My in-laws have one. The corner model and it was used exactly once in 22 years. If it doesn't have a heater (theirs doesn't) the water cools pretty quickly. It's not the long relaxing experience you would hope for.
    I can't answer for longevity or maintenance.
    I too, would prefer a large shower, with the rainfall head and 360 sprayers.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    we've had one for at least 10 years. It doesn't get used much, but is nice to have when you have sore muscles or just want to relax with wine and a book. :)

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    There was 1 in our house when we moved. Thought I would love it…not so much. As stated upthread unless it has a heater the water cools very quickly and isn‘t so great.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    We bought a home a couple of years ago that has one (house is 20 years old). My wife loves/loved it, but the pump stopped working late last year, and while you can somewhat see the pump from the basement it's not entirely accessible there without some cutting, etc.

The original builder also tiled the tub in so there isn't really any access without breaking tile to even see what the pump model is and if it's easily replaceable/repairable, etc.

So while this may be obvious (apparently it wasn't to whomever did the original tile work), make sure you accommodate access to the pump in a fairly easy fashion.

Previous owners said they rarely if ever used it, but my wife loved it and would use it all the time.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    +1 for the self-heater function or what's the point. Also, if you or the missus plan to use bath additives make sure the pump is suitable for this or you probably are looking at early failure. And as mentioned, make sure it's easily accessible for maintenance. Hopefully you're still planning on a shower function as well, because let's face it that's what you'll still be using 90+% of the time.

My parents bought one house with a whirlpool bath and separate shower stall, used the whirlpool exactly once in 15 years. When they moved and started renovating another house we scrapped the whole tub concept for twin bathrooms that share a common wet room, kind of a Jack-and-Jill bathroom setup. How many people need to be able to shower at the same time anyways?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We bought a home a couple of years ago that has one (house is 20 years old). My wife loves/loved it, but the pump stopped working late last year, and while you can somewhat see the pump from the basement it's not entirely accessible there without some cutting, etc.

The original builder also tiled the tub in so there isn't really any access without breaking tile to even see what the pump model is and if it's easily replaceable/repairable, etc.

So while this may be obvious (apparently it wasn't to whomever did the original tile work), make sure you accommodate access to the pump in a fairly easy fashion.

Previous owners said they rarely if ever used it, but my wife loved it and would use it all the time.
    ours has a heater. our pump quit working a few years ago, turned out to be a rodent chewing on the wiring. Had to cut a square in the wall to get to it. Good news is, the hole is behind a dresser so it's out of sight, and we put a door on it.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    1. Water capacity is much more than a standard tub. Every one I used would run out of hot water before it was full.
    2. My parents have had 2 houses with whirlpool tubs. They rarely got used.
    3. With the space that you are working with, I would go with a nice big shower, maybe even one with 2 shower heads. You already have bare studs so it wouldn’t be too hard to plumb it up.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    1. Water capacity is much more than a standard tub. Every one I used would run out of hot water before it was full.
    2. My parents have had 2 houses with whirlpool tubs. They rarely got used.
    3. With the space that you are working with, I would go with a nice big shower, maybe even one with 2 shower heads. You already have bare studs so it wouldn’t be too hard to plumb it up.
    You been spying on me or something?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I vote not worth it. Put one in the other house and used it quite a bit the first couple months, then maybe 1-2 times a year.

When this bathroom gets redone it will just get a deeper tub for the wife, no jets.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    We had a large whirlpool tub that would fit 2. PIA to get in and out of and PIA to clean. When we redid the BR several years back went with a smaller air tub, less maintenance (Automatically purges any water in the system when draining), uses less water (fills a lot quicker), I can lie in ot and stretch my legs. Even has a little lumbar support. It is very loud while running so if you like music or to watch tv while running its not so good. When we remodeled we swapped the position of the tub and shower and now have a shower with a bench, large enough for 2 (don’t knock it until you have tried it) and likely better for resale (not for me as I am likely only moving out of this house in a pine box).

4C38EB0C-9315-4786-86C2-99CAF8502C22.jpeg C8DD2E2C-2EA9-4116-9684-42D64256F71A.jpeg

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    We are in the planning stages of remodeling our 23 yr old master bath. There is an Aquatic whirlpool tub in the bathroom that has been used maybe a dozen times in those years. My wife built the house before I came along and she regrets the decision to install the tub in the first place because it wasn't used and dealing with it will make the remodel much more costly. A couple of thoughts:
    • Consider whether or not you will actually use it enough to justify it. It usually sounds better than it actually is.
    • If you really want it and know it will be used, go for it.
    • Multiple remodelers have suggested that these things are better suited for your deck or patio.
    Just my two cents. Good luck with the remodel.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom