• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    I hunted with a 458 socom last year, and it is MORE than enough gun for whitetail. Since IN passed the hunting with suppressor law, I am reconsidering caliber, rifle, and now suppressor. Combination recommendations? Looking for accuracy and quietness.

Can for the 458?
    Ruger 77/44 with screw on or integral?
    TC Encore in TBD cailber with what can?

Subsonic or supersonic?

Specific models appreciate, especially if a dealer has one in stock.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have been considering a tactical lever action .44 to use my Osprey can on. Loaded with hand-loaded .44spl rounds, it would be pretty fun and quiet.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I've been wondering if I could mix up a subsonic load for my 358 and shoot it through my 9mm can. But I'm assuming the 1/14 twist wouldn't stabilize it. And the 358 is 3 thousandths bigger than 9mm.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Dang, I thought that all firearm cartridges had to be .357 min diameter. I stand corrected. ;)

Might be cheaper to get a bolt action .300 blk and a can. :)

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    If I am reading this correctly, HB 1563 was signed into law and will go into effect July 1st 2013. Although it legalizes suppressors for hunting in Indiana. There is an exception for deer and turkey. Using a suppressor for deer or turkey hunting would be a Class C misdemeanor unless trespassing , then it is bumped up to a Class B. However suppressors would be legal for all other species and types of hunting. Am I correct on all of this?

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2013/PDF/HCCF/CC156302.001.pdf

State to lift decades-old ban on switchblades » State News » News From Terre Haute, Indiana

House Bill 1563

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I have been considering a tactical lever action .44 to use my Osprey can on. Loaded with hand-loaded .44spl rounds, it would be pretty fun and quiet.

I talked to SilencerCo about using my Osprey on a .44 Magnum. They told me that if I did that, I'd have a round can instead of a flat-sided can. You might want to check with them before you shoot .44 through the Osprey based on what they told me.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Ill be using my 357 max suppressed. Check out the ruger 77/44 integral on our page. Screw on cans on the ruger 44 is a iffy thing since the barrel isn't quite thick enough to provide a good shoulder for the can to back up to. Are you wanting to be super quiet subsonic or just hearing safe?

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    300 AAC Blackout AR pistol with suppressor...end thread please. ;)

I was hoping that you were right so I just checked the new Indiana deer hunting regulations. I can find where they lengthened the case lengths to include the .460 S&W and .450 Bushmaster but I can't find anything about them decreasing the minimum caliber. Here is what I just copied from the Indiana DNR website:

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of.357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum
    case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to
    use only during the deer firearms and specialantlerless seasons. Some cartridges legal for
    deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44
    Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster,and .50 Beowulf.

If you can point me to the law that says .300 Blackout is legal, I would appreciate it very much. If you can't, you might want to be careful about spreading misinformation so you don't get a fellow hunter on here into hot water. I hope that you're right and that you prove me wrong.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    If I am reading this correctly, HB 1563 was signed into law and will go into effect July 1st 2013. Although it legalizes suppressors for hunting in Indiana. There is an exception for deer and turkey. Using a suppressor for deer or turkey hunting would be a Class C misdemeanor unless trespassing , then it is bumped up to a Class B. However suppressors would be legal for all other species and types of hunting. Am I correct on all of this?

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2013/PDF/HCCF/CC156302.001.pdf

State to lift decades-old ban on switchblades » State News » News From Terre Haute, Indiana

House Bill 1563

No, the deer and turkey language is basically if you unlawfully take a deer or turkey AND you are in possession of a silencer, it is a C Misdemeanor. If you are trespassing and in possession of a silencer, it is a B Misdemeanor.

In addition to being liable for the reimbursement required under subsection (a), a person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally violates subsection (a)(1) or (a)(2) while using or possessing:
    (1) a sound suppressor designed for use with or on a firearm, commonly called a silencer; or
    (2) a device used as a silencer;
    commits unlawful hunting while using or possessing a silencer, a Class C misdemeanor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(a) A person who:
    (1) unlawfully takes or possesses a deer or wild turkey;
    (2) takes or possesses a deer or wild turkey by illegal methods or with illegal devices;

The above cites the law that you violate while possessing a silencer, and the second paragraph is the subsection they are referring to. So as long as you don't unlawfully take or possess a deer or turkey, or take them by illegal methods or devices, and don't trespass, you are good to hunt them with suppressors.

ETA: Trespassing is separate and has nothing to do with hunting deer and turkey. You could be hunting anything, and if you are trespassing and possess a silencer, it is a B Misdemeanor.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom