• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redlegrod

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    If this has been covered before you can all beat me down. I have been putting a lot of thought into getting more serious about being prepared. I guess my question is where do I start? What is your opinion on the best place online to start to research? Give me your insight as to prepping 101 or prepping for dummies if you will.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I found this site useful:
    HURRICANE KATRINA

I like his approach, and the real-world example of his OWN family surviving a hurricane. Tons of good info, and it isn't all about zombies.

Get this book:
    C. Crane Company - Do-It-Yourself Emergency Preparedness

If you are JUST starting out, it is a good read. Nice refresher for others, and WAY too basic for the serious survivalist. Gotta start somewhere, though!

Even FEMA has a decent list to get started:
    FEMA: Basic Disaster Supplies
    Ready.gov: Get A Kit

More good info here:
    Are you prepared?

All the ammo and MREs in the world won't help when you run out of toilet paper! Find out what you use every day/week, and start stocking up on it. For stuff that you can't stock, decide how you will replace or live without it.

Got important docs on the computer? Back them up! Multiple times in multiple locations (not all at your house). This includes all of those digital pictures and (gasp!) MP3s.

All those important paper docs? Start Photocopying and scanning! A set in the safe, another off-site (and secure), and one in your "go bag". Loosing your LTCH in a fire essentially disarms you, as an example. Keep copies of important docs where you can either take them with you easily or get to them later.

Start thinking about how you will deal with "common" disasters like fires, tornadoes, and floods. Once you are comfortable with the basics, step up to more difficult scenarios, like earthquakes, civil unrest, and (our favorite) ZOMBIES!

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Eldirector, great info. Does anyone have any great ideas for having to evacuate at a moments notice. I feel good about my plan for staying put, but less confident about having to travel a great distance if necessary.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Evac would be the most difficult and hardest to plan for. You would put yourself with the masses in a panic stricken rush to escape. I have a plan but it has taken a while and will only fit my location due to terrain and such.

We must all plan for Zombies....everything else would only be a nuisance.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Churchmouse...indulge us with a little specifics. LOL. I bet you have some good ideas that would be applicable to many people on INGun. One thing I've thought is to have plenty of gas on hand to take with me on the road so that I don't have to stop for gas for at least 600 miles if not more. Also, staying off main roads would probably be key and consistent with what you say in you post.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Eldirector, great info. Does anyone have any great ideas for having to evacuate at a moments notice. I feel good about my plan for staying put, but less confident about having to travel a great distance if necessary.

See "Bugging Out" in the Hurricane Katrina link above.

Basically, you need 3 plans:
    1 - Get out NOW! Example, the house is on fire.
    2 - Get out quick! The one-hour plan. What many of us equate to "bugging out".
    3 - Gotta go today. Something bad is on the way, and you need to pack up and hit the road.

It all hinges in having your **** together, so you can do the right thing at the right time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    See "Bugging Out" in the Hurricane Katrina link above.

Basically, you need 3 plans:
    1 - Get out NOW! Example, the house is on fire.
    2 - Get out quick! The one-hour plan. What many of us equate to "bugging out".
    3 - Gotta go today. Something bad is on the way, and you need to pack up and hit the road.

It all hinges in having your **** together, so you can do the right thing at the right time.

^^^^^^^This is a good outline^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes on extra stored fuel, yes on water, and yes on having all your bug out uummm....stuff together in one area so it is easy to load and go. Have a route you feel will not be jammed up. If possible stay off the main freeways as everybody will be headed that way. Your route might skirt the main roads and take a little longer but you have gas, yes. Have a location in your plans with ample resources to sustain you. A typical BOB is for 72 hr. at best depending on head count. Are you alone, wife, kids. All these things need to be considered. It is a full time hobby/job at first and it will never end if you rotate supply's and do everything that fits your plans. This is just skimming the surface.

Yes, prepare to defend your group. Be armed and train with whatever you choose to use, carry, whatever. Know it, use it only if you have to but have it in your plans with ample ammo. If there is more than one capable person, arm them as well. precautionary, but necessary.

There is so much info in these threads. It has put my program back on course. We have goals that are not yet met but will be soon. Also remember, depending on the reasons for bugging out, there is strength in numbers. Trusted, like minded folks rolling together with a plan.

When we say to plan for a Zombie Apocalypse it really just means plan for the worst and hope for the best. If you are ready for the worst case scenario you can think of, then you are ready. Anything less would be easily dealt with depending on the reasons as listed in the above outline.

Last edited:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I think step one is threat assessment. If you don't know what will happen what do you know what to prepare for?

Likely threats, are job loss, illness, legal trouble, etc. Normal things that can ruin people fiscally.

For that, you would want to stock up on cash, food, clothes, etc. Food and clothes are also great ways to hedge against inflation and market volatility. You'll need to buy them eventually. Might as well do it when it's best for you. Your goal is to be able to live for at least 3 months without income. 1 year is better.

Then there are natural disasters. Depending where you are in Indiana, and the severity of each, Thunderstorms (trees falling, hail, etc.), Tornados, Floods, Earthquakes.

If your home is made un-inhabitable, where will you live? Will your food and clothes preps survive the disaster?

Then you can start to think about long term disasters, like hyper-inflation, currency revaluation, martial law, etc.

And then, the general breakdown of society from the apocolypse.

If you are fiscally able, after you have enough stock to make it on your own for a year, you can think about buying a large plot of land, in the event you may need to rely on your own subsistence.

In the mean time, just learn as much as you can about everything. Start off with the stuff that interests you the most. Maybe gunsmithing? Then you can move on to perhaps butchering or animal husbandry. Maybe farming is your thing? How about being a carpenter, electrician, plumber, weldor, etc?

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Survival blog.com

I start my most basic kit with the thought process of having to leave the car an walk for a few hours, stretch it out to a couple days. Now think what of my house caught fire and I could grab a handful of things and go. Prepositioning with dedicated gear in one bag will be the only way you get out quick

Top Bottom