• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood
    I’m not here to champion the NRA, but they do some good work that not everyone sees. I was stationed in Maryland before coming here and was part of a 2A group. Maryland HATES guns and gun owners, and the NRA worked with the 2A group in legislative sessions to fight off bad gun bills, and defeated many bad bills. So while the NRA needs some new blood and a good house cleaning, the $30 per year, or whatever it is, is money we’ll spent.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I’m not here to champion the NRA, but they do some good work that not everyone sees. I was stationed in Maryland before coming here and was part of a 2A group. Maryland HATES guns and gun owners, and the NRA worked with the 2A group in legislative sessions to fight off bad gun bills, and defeated many bad bills. So while the NRA needs some new blood and a good house cleaning, the $30 per year, or whatever it is, is money we’ll spent.
    I think it's important to realize that the NRA isn't a monolith too. There's the "NRA" in general (which is what most people have issues with, run by LaPierre), but there is the NRA/ILA which is the part that does most of the leg work in dealing with legislation, court cases, etc.. That's what I support. They're the "boots on the ground" part, and they do work hard for the 2A.

1kAwayGuns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Bloomington
    I think it's important to realize that the NRA isn't a monolith too. There's the "NRA" in general (which is what most people have issues with, run by LaPierre), but there is the NRA/ILA which is the part that does most of the leg work in dealing with legislation, court cases, etc.. That's what I support. They're the "boots on the ground" part, and they do work hard for the 2A.

I appreciate the well thought out comments. I’ll do some more research on it. Have you heard of the FPC?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What concerns? I don’t speak for them but I’d be more than happy to answer any questions I can
    Not that I'm a prude (by a long shot! :): ), but using the "F you. No." wasn't really professional IMHO, even though I may agree with the sentiment. Just seems like they could work on their presentation, especially if they want to be taken seriously by legislators or courts, etc..

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I appreciate the well thought out comments. I’ll do some more research on it. Have you heard of the FPC?
    I am a member of the FPC but they didn't show up to the statehouse when ConC was up this spring even though I contacted them many times. Guess who was there fighting for us....The NRA. Which I'm also a member of and the 2a Project here in Indiana.

Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood

That must have been what it was. Maybe an NRA-ILA state or regional office that partnered with local 2A groups. The lady from NRA-ILA was a lawyer and her contributions were vital in fighting the onslaught of anti-gun bills.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    2dT4.gif

Subscribing to see what range the OP ultimately decides on.

17.gif

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    There just might be a reason a lot of the rural clubs and ranges require an NRA membership? It'd likely be a good education to look into that, eh?

This was just one example after a quick search. There is a lot more to find on INGO and beyond.

While the political and publicized arm of the NRA is a travesty to our cause and I sympathize with anyone's distaste of them, there are several other branches that do a lot of good. Ranges get much better insurance rates (or so I'm told), access to grants, and a lot of resources and references for running the range. It also looks a lot better to the insurance and authorities when you say "hey I have a range that's run to this established organization's standards" than "Hey I have a range I made myself". In addition to that, they hold a lot of competitions or at least hold standards. The youth and education arms are also pretty significant, helping youth teams (more grants, training, operational guidance) and running matches.

I did the once-and-done and bought a lifetime membership years ago heavily discounted then nothing more.

1kAwayGuns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Bloomington
    While the political and publicized arm of the NRA is a travesty to our cause and I sympathize with anyone's distaste of them, there are several other branches that do a lot of good. Ranges get much better insurance rates (or so I'm told), access to grants, and a lot of resources and references for running the range. It also looks a lot better to the insurance and authorities when you say "hey I have a range that's run to this established organization's standards" than "Hey I have a range I made myself". In addition to that, they hold a lot of competitions or at least hold standards. The youth and education arms are also pretty significant, helping youth teams (more grants, training, operational guidance) and running matches.

I did the once-and-done and bought a lifetime membership years ago heavily discounted then nothing more.

I’ll definitely reconsider an NRA range after the comments like this I’ve gotten. What range do you usually shoot at?

Top Bottom