• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigD

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indy Geist Area
    I recently inherited my father's small collection of mid-1800s rifles, pistols, and powder horns. I'm interested in selling the collection, but I am unsure of the best venue. I've seen some powder horns on sale on eBay (for next to nothing) and a few antique firearms on Gunbroker.

What is the best way to sell them at reasonable prices?

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    You do what you want. There is no way in hell I would sell anything my Father left me, least of all his gun collection. I just wish my Dad had some guns to pass down to me. It's your choice, good luck with what ever you do, me, I would keep them and pass down to my childern.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Take them with you to a gun show, other buyers will just about wear you out asking how much you want for them. Just make sure you are asking the right price.
    Personally I agree with possum, if dad had left me some guns I would keep them any way I could.IMHO

IMakeGum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    also check out kelly blue book of gun values. I'm not sure if they are online or not, but if you are serious about selling, that is a good place to start. However, I also agree with the other posters that there is no way in hell I'd sell any of Dad's guns if he passed.
    OP, sorry he's gone.....

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    BigD,

I agree with Buford - research and know your value before anything!

Presuming that, you have several choices but the question is: Do you want the most money or do you want fast money?

If you want the most then Gunbroker or some other reputable site such as INGO or Gunboards or etc.

If you want fast money then a flat sale to an FFL who will give you a percentage of the value, but it will be one time, no muss no fuss.

Good luck with everything!

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    Do not know your situation. I would do the gun show route or even post on here for sale. Make sure you have an opinion on the value, like others have stated above.

I would have to be in a very, very bad situation to drive me to sell something like you describe.

BigD

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indy Geist Area
    Thanks for the insight about selling inherited items. I'm trying to keep this decision in persective. My father was a natural collector and he had nice collections of many different things. These few older guns were part of larger collection of guns that were meaningful to him that I would never sell. These particular guns were not particularly meaningful to him nor are particularly valuable and they are certainly not family heirlooms. My family and I have had to make the tough decision of which of his things to keep and which to sell. We want to honor his memory, but we can't live in a museum of his things. I'm trying to get past the mentality that just because he once owned something, it was incredibly meaningful to him and he would curse me from beyond for wanting to get rid of it. My family and I have agonized over these few guns along with lots of his other things and have tried to strike this balance. If this had been the gun that Dad used on Omaha beach, then it would be very different dicussion. Nonetheless, tough decisions...

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the insight about selling inherited items. I'm trying to keep this decision in perspective. My father was a natural collector...

I fully understand, my family is going through this process now as one generation departs. Why keep a bunch of items that only will become a burden to you? Keep what you want or feel the need to keep. Keep the items that you will pass on to your children. Sell the items that have no sentimental value.

KEEP - WWII bringbacks, passed-down squirrel guns
    SELL - rifle dad bought a decade ago to improve his collection

Top Bottom