• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfmanusf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Hi there,

I am looking at getting a .22 handgun to learn to shoot with. I am 25 and the last time I shot was early teenage years,so I want to learn to shoot safely and accurately.

I need recommendations for a good 22 to start with, and also where to learn to shoot. I am located in Fishers, so it would be great if it was in Central Indiana.

Also, I am getting a little ahead of myself, but I am pretty competitive by nature, so I could see myself getting involved in some sort of shooting sport. How do you go about learning the sports and where and how to compete.

John

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    You've made a good choice to start with by deciding to get a 22 to learn with. Little recoil and cheap to shoot. Too many beginners start out with too much gun. For a good 22 handgun look at the Rugers. If you want a revolver the Ruger Super Single Six is a great handgun. Mine was my first handgun' I still have it after 27 years. and it still shoots as good as the day I bought it. If you want a semi-auto the Ruger Mark IIIs and the 22/45s are great guns also. Another good semi-auto is the Browning Buckmarks. Look around and find one that feels good in your hand, if you can find someone that has one that you will let you shoot it, try as many as you can. When you do find one you like buy alot af ammo then go out and shoot it as much as possible, and have fun.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    There are several good training groups represented in the training forums on this site. Definitely check them out to get good training up front. If you haven't checked into it yet, you will also want to check into getting Indiana's LTCH. You can't easily transport a firearm without a license. There is plenty of info about the LTCH in the FAQs.

You are actually in a very good location if you want to get into shooting sports. The Atlanta Conservation Club hosts multiple shooting leagues and is in that general area.

As for good .22 pistols, the Ruger MkII and MkIII series, Smith & Wesson 22a, and the Browning Buckmark are the most commonly mentioned.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_training/120655-bp_100_march_13_2010_a.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ng_and_training/120656-ip_101_march_13_a.html

Here is a link to ACT's upcoming classes on this subject. You won't find better instruction for the money anywhere. I am biased though.:)

Let me know via email and I can send you registration forms.

The Smith and Wesson 22A is very affordable and therefore a good place to start.

Competition training is another thing we do, and do well.

Last edited:

PurdueJim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    I would recommend that you contact your local police department for their next training class on handguns. They will give you valuable safety tips and this class will be a value to you if you ever get in legal trouble with your gun. example: lawyer asks you what kind of actual training have received prior to using your weapon? Answer: local police sponsored training class.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Hi there,

I am looking at getting a .22 handgun to learn to shoot with. I am 25 and the last time I shot was early teenage years,so I want to learn to shoot safely and accurately.

I need recommendations for a good 22 to start with, and also where to learn to shoot. I am located in Fishers, so it would be great if it was in Central Indiana.

Also, I am getting a little ahead of myself, but I am pretty competitive by nature, so I could see myself getting involved in some sort of shooting sport. How do you go about learning the sports and where and how to compete.

John

John,
    1. Apply for your License to Carry Handgun.
    2. Find a local NRA affiliated firearms safety or familiarization course.
    3. Find a good local range to practice and enjoy your new hobby.
    4. Become proficient shooter and make soda cans dance, shoot smiley faces on targets etc etc.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Since you're in Fishers, you might also Check out IndyGunSafety. They offer the basic pistol as well as advanced carry training. The shooting part of their classes are up @ ACC and there's something going on up there almost every weekend so you'll get a chance to see that too. Good Luck and congrats for being proactive enough to consider training first. Nicely played Sir.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Google Top Cop Corp- located just south of Acton In. He does basic handgun classes the 3rd sat of every month. Google course, or chech the threads, many good companies on this forum.

wolfmanusf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    I was born and raised in Acton, but I cannot find anything about this on Google. Would you happen to have a link or contact information? Thanks for the info.

John

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    With a pellet/BB gun in the back yard. Started shooting with Dad when I was 18, and I got my first handgun. Which was a Firestar .45 acp stainless compact.

Top Bottom