• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    No offense intended, but trap and skeet are not the same thing. MCFG does not do skeet, at least as best as I can tell from their website. I was only there once, but I do not believe they have the equipment or layout for skeet.

Best of luck.

kong1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Pendleton
    Indiana Gun Club is where I would suggest. Great group of guys and they have 5 or 6 skeet fields and also offer trap and sporting clays. They are open every Wednesday and friday, saturday, and sunday....give them a try.... and their gunroom is 2nd to none in this state.... no handguns but lots of shotguns and some rifles....Kong

Indiana Gun Club

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Indiana Gun Club is where I would suggest. Great group of guys and they have 5 or 6 skeet fields and also offer trap and sporting clays. They are open every Wednesday and friday, saturday, and sunday....give them a try.... and their gunroom is 2nd to none in this state.... no handguns but lots of shotguns and some rifles....Kong

Indiana Gun Club

You beat me to it, big +1 for the Indiana Gun Club. I was there on Weds. trying out my new Benelli. Great folks and nice facilities with fair prices.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    No offense intended, but trap and skeet are not the same thing. MCFG does not do skeet, at least as best as I can tell from their website. I was only there once, but I do not believe they have the equipment or layout for skeet.

Best of luck.

I know they are different, but I thought if he was interested in one, he might want to try the other. I have not been out to Indiana Gun Club, but I hope to make it out there at some point.

bsinger82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    Evansville / Indy
    I agree, Indiana Gun Club. Steve and Philip are usually the ones at the counter. They are good folks. And if you want to step it up another notch take a lesson from Browning Pro Bob Self. Tell him Brandon Singer sent ya. He's a great shooting coach. Trust me it's worth the money

Actually, I was just out there today.. It was cold but still had a great time

Last edited:

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I second Indiana Gun Club. I used to shoot sporting clays there, used to...

Can someone please explain the difference between Skeet and Trap?

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Skeet:
    In skeet you have eight "stations" you shoot from, in a 180-degree circle. Targets come from a "high" house at the left (0-degree) corner of the circle, and from a "low" house at the right (180-degree) corner of the circle. Targets are set to cross at the center of the circle. You shoot a prescribed number of targets in a prescribed order from each station. When you miss for the first time, you get that shot again, that's called your "option".
    Station 1,2: High house, low house, then double (both houses at once).
    Station 3,4,5: High house, low house (singles)
    Station 6,7: High house, low house, then double (both houses at once).
    Station 8: This is right in the middle of the field, and the targets almost come over your head. You shoot a single from the "high" house, then turn and shoot a single from the "low" house. If you haven't missed anywhere else during the round you shoot your "option", which is in this case the last shot of the round.
    The favored gun is an over/under with skeet or IC chokes.

Trap:
    5 stations, IIRC 15-yards from a bunker that throws targets at random angles. 5-shots per station and then you move to the next one.
    Favored gun for standard trap is a single barrel trap gun that is set up to shoot a bit high at 25-yards, usually with a modified choke. Chokes are tighened up when shooters move back to account for their "handicap" (think golf).

In the three years I worked as a range officer I came to believe that skeet was the harder game to learn, but was "easier" than trap (meaning, less missing) once you became proficient. Scoring classifications (hit percentages) for A, AA, and AAA when compared between the ATA (Amateur Trapshooting Association) and NSSA (National Skeet Shooting Association) seem to support my opinion.

Each "round" of skeet lasts about 30-minutes with a full squad of shooters (5-shooters). Trap usually takes about 10-minutes. Many clubs have a bias towards trap because of the lower equipment costs and the time factor.

Last edited:

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    Can someone please explain the difference between Skeet and Trap?

I always reference this website because I cannot keep them straight either: HERE

I've only shot Trap, but I really like the Indiana Gun Club as well. Rental guns for five bucks and reasonable ammo/shooting rates.

~Poe

Top Bottom