• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I am guessing this is a matter of degrees difference?

I mean when a mass shooting occurs the usual thread runs through guy was nuts, someone knew something etc.

Often enough wouldn't we want someone to say something if someone is going off the edge?

Where would you draw the line?

Certainly not at see something say something.

Certainly not at preventing extremism.

But at what point would you say something to someone if you knew someone that was perhaps on the edge?

Who would you say it to? What action would you take and when?

Certainly not at

He owns 100 guns
    He has 10,000 rounds of ammo.

But what comment would it take?

The world would be better off without that SOB.
    Sometimes I think I should put a bullet in that guy.
    That politician is getting way out of hand. If someone don't do something, maybe I should.

Would it have to immediate?

I've had enough, I am going to that guy's office and settle this one and for all.
    He has messed with me for the last time. Tonight it ends?

Where are your lines in the sand?

When would you talk to mutual friends? family? law enforcement?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I mind my own business.
    Not much of an answer.

Someone says something right in front of you and it's not your business?

Say it's a threat to another family member. You say something or just bury the body in the back yard?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As someone who’s called the law on a crazy relative who was spouting off some wild and dangerous things I can’t tell you that reporting them won’t do much unless you get them on tape or they say what they said directly to the cops.

Cops show up and ask, “do you want to kill someone or yourself” and as long as they act right and don’t say some crazy crap nothing happens.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    9780231180160.jpg

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    How many of the suspects in mass shootings ended up being on a "watch list" before they did what they did? What good did it do?

So in my opinion to the question you asked I'd mind my own. If I'm ever unfortunate enough to be caught in one of those situations I would try my best to stop it. Not every horrible thing in life can be prevented.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    How many of the suspects in mass shootings ended up being on a "watch list" before they did what they did? What good did it do?

So in my opinion to the question you asked I'd mind my own. If I'm ever unfortunate enough to be caught in one of those situations I would try my best to stop it. Not every horrible thing in life can be prevented.
    They were also taking antidepressants and seeing psychiatrists. So they were know by the FBI, taking drugs and seeking mental health care. What more can be done? Oh I know spy on Trump voters they are the biggest threat to a Democrat authoritarian government.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Certainly not at

He owns 100 guns
    He has 10,000 rounds of ammo.
    Collections aren't representative of intent. It doesn't matter the size. This is how I've interpreted your example of what is an "sign" that is quickly falsified.

But what comment would it take?

The world would be better off without that SOB.
    Sometimes I think I should put a bullet in that guy.
    That politician is getting way out of hand. If someone don't do something, maybe I should.

Would it have to immediate?

I've had enough, I am going to that guy's office and settle this one and for all.
    He has messed with me for the last time. Tonight it ends?
    At the end of the day, we're trying to map the probability that a person will actually commit a violent crime (and presumably, one that we disapprove of). So there is no specific line in the sand in terms of a sequence of words. Some people just have big mouths. Other people.. such comments should be taken at face value. The variation person to person makes the line in the sand to need more input than the quote itself.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You shouldn't be wasting worry about when it's all right to co-operate with the UStasi

It would be more worthwhile to worry about getting election integrity laws on the books, and legally challenging the ourselves if we have to, in order to get the court challenges over with prior to the elections in '22 (rather than letting the enemy delay them until just before the election and perhaps receive stays that open the door to 'emergency' or 'interim' rules not established by the legislature) so that we can take back the house and senate and begin to unravel the communist conspiracy at the earliest possible moment

CP operating outside of DC seems like a distraction. Very much counter to state law and without any legal mandate

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    As someone who’s called the law on a crazy relative who was spouting off some wild and dangerous things I can’t tell you that reporting them won’t do much unless you get them on tape or they say what they said directly to the cops.

Cops show up and ask, “do you want to kill someone or yourself” and as long as they act right and don’t say some crazy crap nothing happens.
    As it should be. Hyperbole is completely lost on some people. Or, it could be, someone is simply having a really bad day and being utterly stupid, with zero intent of harming anyone. If someone is in the act of harming anyone, all bets are off, you stop the attack NOW. But this nonsense of trying to turn everyone against everyone is just one more liberal tactic to rip the country apart. Swatting anyone?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't know or would I hang around with people who want to inflect mass casualties on innocent people in the first place. So me knowing anything about anyone going to do a terrorist attack is not going to happen unless I stumble across such an attack in progress. Which I hope I never do.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I mind my own business.
    So in my opinion to the question you asked I'd mind my own.
    I don't turn people in if they haven't broken the law.
    I would say conspiracy to commit premeditated murder is a crime.
    As it should be. Hyperbole is completely lost on some people. Or, it could be, someone is simply having a really bad day and being utterly stupid, with zero intent of harming anyone. If someone is in the act of harming anyone, all bets are off, you stop the attack NOW. But this nonsense of trying to turn everyone against everyone is just one more liberal tactic to rip the country apart. Swatting anyone?

Aren't all of the above slightly hypocritical? I don't have detailed quotes from each of you on INGO, but my general feeling from INGO is that we as good, safe, responsible gun owners typically approve of removing genuine dangers from the street (with due process, of course), but if we are to have some form of prevention we need some form of reporting to legal authorities. IMO, assessing a threat is what a redflag law should be - not the indefinite seizure of property (a la Strom and the thread on IMPD Property Room Woes which give examples of violating due process). Are any of you really going to say that we should have no legal recourse against people who are actively conspiring to commit murder? If so, then I don't think I have common ground on this.

These are both good points for a different discussion, but a distraction away from the main point of this thread. It would be great if a good ol' conservative on a debate stage started driving these points home to emphasize that we don't need additional laws, we need current threats to be assessed and be processed under existing laws (which are admittedly a bit bloated).

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I would say conspiracy to commit premeditated murder is a crime.

Aren't all of the above slightly hypocritical? I don't have detailed quotes from each of you on INGO, but my general feeling from INGO is that we as good, safe, responsible gun owners typically approve of removing genuine dangers from the street (with due process, of course), but if we are to have some form of prevention we need some form of reporting to legal authorities. IMO, assessing a threat is what a redflag law should be - not the indefinite seizure of property (a la Strom and the thread on IMPD Property Room Woes which give examples of violating due process). Are any of you really going to say that we should have no legal recourse against people who are actively conspiring to commit murder? If so, then I don't think I have common ground on this.

These are both good points for a different discussion, but a distraction away from the main point of this thread. It would be great if a good ol' conservative on a debate stage started driving these points home to emphasize that we don't need additional laws, we need current threats to be assessed and be processed under existing laws (which are admittedly a bit bloated).
    So called "red-flag" laws are unconstitutional, and personally, I don`t want to live in a police state, so no, I won`t turn someone in to the Gestapo because they may have made some out of line comment. You`re welcome.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

My ex-neighbor had his soon to be ex-wife call the police and tell them he was looking at jihadi websites and was possibly suicidal. They rolled into his yard, got out one with an AR and another with a shotgun. When he came out to see what was up, they made him drop to his knees, cuffed him, and took him to a hospital for a psych eval. I had friends over. We watched it all go down from my patio. 5 hours later, I had to go get him at the hospital after he was cleared and take him home. They left him there with no transportation.

I guess you need to say the right key words.

Top Bottom