When was the last time you used a paper map?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Gps has killed the map.
    I have used maps most of my life. Road maps, lake maps, topo maps, etc. If I was going out of state, I always made sure I had my road atlas in the truck, now, not so much. The smart phone has probably put Rand McNally out of business.

The second time I went to Dale Hollow Lake, I had my trusty lake map, and a hand held gps. Come to find out, the trusty lake map is worthless if you can't pin point where you are on it. The first trip was very memorable. :facepalm:

The lake maps were my hold out maps. I never went to a big lake without a map. Until I got GPS and a map package in the electronics in the boat, that put the waterproof paper map to shame.

Who still uses a real map? The art of map folding might be lost forever.:)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I keep a Gazetteer the vehicle. Have them for most states we visit frequently.

GPS is fine if you know where you are going. Maps are best if you don't. The iPhone only works when you have a data connection, too. Worthless when the whole point is to "unplug".

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I still do! Last time I used it was a few months ago.

Either for a road trip with the car or for a hike on foot, no GPS only a paper map and a compass.

A few times I had to stop to ask people for direction.
    You get to meet some nice people, and the locals know the area better than your GPS.
    They know which road to avoid because of rush hour traffic or because there is a new construction site not mentioned on your GPS or paper map.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Last week helping direct somebody to a building on campus they'd never been to. I always carry a paper campus map.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I use them all the time, road maps and topos in particular. Also own and use a compass.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I used a car with built in GPS a few times and I wasn't impressed.
    I'm in a rural area and sometimes you need to use trails to go to some places, and your GPS don't consider those to be roads so it will tell you do make a very long detour to only use major roads.

Also I'm outside of the US so some areas are not up to date and properly maped by the GPS.
    I have been to recently built places, parked on a parking lot or on the street and the GPS said I was in the middle of a field and needed to find a road for it to lead me to my destination.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have never used GPS. Paper maps still work pretty well, but I usually print off the map/directions online.

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville
    I used mine last month on the way to Gatlinburg TN..I keep it in the seat back of my passenger seat...Sometimes GPS on my phone wont get a signal.
    Now it is an outdated map but it serves the purpose.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yesterday. Corn field maze...
    HA! Forgot about that.

Used 2 different maps yesterday, then. Prairie grass maze, and trail map for the park. Before that, GPS on Friday night to find an address. Gazetteer afterwards to explore the area. I keep compass in the car, but rarely use it. Usually just need to find north, and that's good enough to get around.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We've been headed to stations around Indy for deliverys over the past few weeks. We get "station maps". They are a layout of the property so we know how to get in/out and where the tank fills are. Pull in the wrong way and you can screw yourself real easy. Ask me how I know.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Used a map just last week to navigate back to the Nickel Plate Trail from about 10 miles away. Always carry county maps on my bike and state maps in my cars. GPS is nice but I always study the maps prior to a trip.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I carry an iPad in my work truck. Put the address in, drive until the blue dot hits the red dot.

Not that long ago, we had a street guide book. You had to look anything up that you didn't know off the top of your head. If they sent us out of town, they gave us maps on arrival.

Top Bottom