When Off-Duty Cops OPEN CARRY, did you notice . . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Just curious, but lately I've seen a few (presumably) off duty police officers OPEN CARRY their firearms while dressed in casual attire. In each case that I've seen them OPEN CARRY they have displayed their shield on their belt next to their gun.

So I'm just curious, is that some sort of department regulation that they display their badge? Or do they do it to belay the fears of the hopolophobes who are afraid of guns so when they see the badge on the officer's belt they don't have to wet themselves and run away?

Any LEO guys out here who OC off duty and display a badge? Just curious why you display the badge.

OR is it possible that these officers I'm seeing are not actually off duty (but they are not wearing radios, flashlights, handcuffs, vests, etc) and are just dressed casually?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    OR is it possible that these officers I'm seeing are not actually off duty (but they are not wearing radios, flashlights, handcuffs, vests, etc) and are just dressed casually?

I have a deputy friend that will "OC" in casual attire (polo and khakis) sometimes during special training days or "non-patrol" activities, but he's still on the job. He will put his badge next to his P226 in a black Galco Fletch.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Just curious, but lately I've seen a few (presumably) off duty police officers OPEN CARRY their firearms while dressed in casual attire. In each case that I've seen them OPEN CARRY they have displayed their shield on their belt next to their gun.

So I'm just curious, is that some sort of department regulation that they display their badge? Or do they do it to belay the fears of the hopolophobes who are afraid of guns so when they see the badge on the officer's belt they don't have to wet themselves and run away?

Any LEO guys out here who OC off duty and display a badge? Just curious why you display the badge.

This was true for me back in the day. But to clarify, I didn't really intentionally OC it was for the times my jacket would open-up and give a "flash" or when I would remove the jacket once inside a restaurant and was sitting down. :patriot:

Last edited:

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    This is a very common practice and I've always thought it was done for the reason stated above, that the hopolophobes (or others who live their lives in condition white) see the pistol and badge together and don't get excited.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Are you shure you are not seeing.....

heavybadge.jpg

LOL

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yes, I see the tiny badges, too. Makes their guns look bigger. :)
    I bet a tiny CCW badge would look too small for anyone to tell.
    We need a LCH badge. Since ours is not remanded to CC here.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Are you shure you are not seeing.....

I knew a guy once who worked for a security company. When out and about, he would often OC with his badge next to his gun, even though it didn't mean sh*t when he was off the clock and off the property his company patrolled. Still, people would see "gun" and "badge" and think "cop," and all would be OK in their little sheep world. Such behavior was actively encouraged by the company itself; their uniforms and patches were designed to very closely resemble IPD's. Coincidence? I think not.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Some departments require the badge be displayed next to the visible handgun. Usually, you are seeing an officer that has just returned from court and that would account for the badge on the belt. It rare to see an officer OC that has not just left court. In fact, in 12 years I do not remember ever running into a fellow LEO who was OC that had NOT just left court.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Some departments require the badge be displayed next to the visible handgun. Usually, you are seeing an officer that has just returned from court and that would account for the badge on the belt. It rare to see an officer OC that has not just left court. In fact, in 12 years I do not remember ever running into a fellow LEO who was OC that had NOT just left court.

Well I've seen them shopping in retail stores and while at the vet's office with their personal pets, etc. Clearly not on duty, clearly not coming from court. One was wearing shorts, tennis shoes and a polo shirt.

Again, I'm just curious if it is some sort of department policy or if its just common to do to prevent public panic. Personally I'm glad to see OC by our local officers when out and about.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    My place of employment is just up the road from the West Lafayette PD, and we do a pretty significant amount of business with them. I've come to know, at least on a casual business basis, a pretty good amount of officers and other staff members.

The only non-uniformed officers that have carried openly have been plainclothes detectives, and they carry badges next to their sidearms. The majority of the detectives, even on the clock, carry under jackets or other cover garments. I've yet to see any of them openly-carry off the clock, making personal purchases.

In fact, the only person I've seen OC in my shop recently was ATM :)

Al B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    EM78 South IN
    Both together

After I raised my hand and took the oath, My Chief Deputy handed me my badge and my service pistol with the words "don't carry one without the other", and he informed me that we were all considered to be on duty until we resigned.
    I hauled that S&W 686 around a lot! Always had my badge next to it on my belt or my shoulder rig whenever I was off duty.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Most departments do have or at least make available flat badges for wallets. I have worked for 2 agencies on 2 sides of the US and both department required that if the weapon was carried OC then the badge was to be visable as well. I'm sure there are some departments that don't require it but I would guess that most do. It is a policy thing. For me, I do not normally OC unless I am getting paid. If I'm just off-duty running errands or something, it's CC all the way.

There have been times that I have left court or training (type of clothing depends on type of training....IE sometimes I do wear shorts to training) and had to run errands after and am OC when running those errands. Don't know if this is what you saw or just an officer deciding to OC and display the badge.

m39fan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Owen County
    Yes, the reason is usually to prevent mass panic and "man with a gun" calls. When I went through ILEA, many instructors were seriously recommending getting into the habit. It was a no-brainer for me as the dept had it in the regs. When I became a town marshal I added it to the SOP's as I felt it was a wise idea.

Just my :twocents:

Last edited:

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think I could see the argument for NOT carrying a small badge next to it. Enforce in people's minds that average citizens and not just LEOs are common place and legal to carry weapons for their own protection.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I knew a guy once who worked for a security company. When out and about, he would often OC with his badge next to his gun, even though it didn't mean sh*t when he was off the clock and off the property his company patrolled. Still, people would see "gun" and "badge" and think "cop," and all would be OK in their little sheep world. Such behavior was actively encouraged by the company itself; their uniforms and patches were designed to very closely resemble IPD's. Coincidence? I think not.

Maybe not in the instance of being a security officer, but couldn't you be charged (officer's discression) for impersonating an officer for OC with a badge?..........Maybe, Maybe Not,,,,fine line.

darrent

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Muncie, Indiana
    I always carried a shield when I OC'ed because I wanted people to know that I was a cop (although I only OC'ed while on the clock). The handcuff's were tucked away in my back pocket and didn't wear a vest those time (just when I was on patrol). The reason why I wanted them to know was because the rules are different when a police officer gives a command to someone versus Joe Snuffy down the street (e.g. Resisting Law Enforcement for example). Plus, it calms the public knowing an officer is present (well...at least that sounds good :)). But to answer the question, I don't remeber it being a policy of either department I was on. However, I think everyone did it that way.

I kept my pistol hidden when I was off duty. Never believed in telling the bad guys which person they should cap first in a robbery situation.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I always carried a shield when I OC'ed because I wanted people to know that I was a cop (although I only OC'ed while on the clock). The handcuff's were tucked away in my back pocket and didn't wear a vest those time (just when I was on patrol). The reason why I wanted them to know was because the rules are different when a police officer gives a command to someone versus Joe Snuffy down the street (e.g. Resisting Law Enforcement for example). Plus, it calms the public knowing an officer is present (well...at least that sounds good :)). But to answer the question, I don't remeber it being a policy of either department I was on. However, I think everyone did it that way.

I kept my pistol hidden when I was off duty. Never believed in telling the bad guys which person they should cap first in a robbery situation.

+1

Last edited by a moderator:

darrent

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Muncie, Indiana
    Maybe not in the instance of being a security officer, but couldn't you be charged (officer's discression) for impersonating an officer for OC with a badge?..........Maybe, Maybe Not,,,,fine line.

I would say there is not a crime here (although maybe not the smartest thing). According to the Indiana Code, you would have to prove intent. Just walking around with the badge would not suffice. If he had on a hat that said police with the security badge, then yes. If he told someone that he was a cop, then yes.

IC 35-44-2-3
    Impersonation of a public servant
    Sec. 3. A person who falsely represents that the person is a public servant, with intent to mislead and induce another person to submit to false official authority or otherwise to act to the other person's detriment in reliance on the false representation, commits impersonation of a public servant, a Class A misdemeanor. However, a person who falsely represents that the person is:
    (1) a law enforcement officer; or
    (2) an agent or employee of the department of state revenue, and collects any property from another person;
    commits a Class D felony.

Top Bottom