What's Your Story of the Journey for Your CC?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have been working for the past 4.4 yrs experimenting all over the place with different carry revolvers & pistols.
    I've had everything from the smallest tip-up barrels & .380s in pistols to larger 9mms with even a SW Shield 45 & small hammerless J frames to larger 6 rds & even one 7 round.

I have tried out 'everything," & had fun doing it.
    The past 1.5 yrs of Covid causing price increases slowed the process immensely, but I was nearly done with my frenetic pace.
    In fact, I'd not had the Springfield Armory or Canik brands so I bought a couple each of those (sold 1 each of those already).

I've kept the Kimber 6s hammerless 6 rd snubby longer than any CC revolver & am still in love b/c it carries so easily with the N8 Tactical IWB holsters (recommended by a member).
    I love their full leather backing for the entire gun.
    I don't anticipate a change in revolvers after trying out all the 5 round revolvers & a few 6 round & even one 7 round (SW 686).

The Ruger Max 9 will be my normal semi-auto CC, allowing me to sell the Kahr CT9, XD-S & TP9 ELITE SC recently that I couldn't decide between b/c I liked them all, haha!
    Logically, I should have just kept one of the two Sig 365 pistols I've had in the past, but I enjoy experimenting.

I have a Kahr CM9 that is going to be my "go to" when a very small carry is warranted.
    I even have a N8 Tacitical holster that fits.
    The CM9 short 4" height (with stock 6 rd mag) hides like a .380, being smaller than a Glock 42 (.380) in every way, with the 42 lighter by 2 ozs.
    This is needed when wearing a shirt more fitted than normal.
    I can use the 8 rd mag with a "normal" shirt carrying IWB with no printing.

When I can use a larger 9mm, I have my beloved CZ Rami that the Wizard did his magic on or even a Springfield Armory 4" Service Revolver, both which are deadly accurate even with my old eyes.

Tell me your story! :ingo:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    CZ-40P --> Beretta 9000s --> KelTec P11 --> Kahr CW-40 --> Springfield EMP (only once!) --> S&W M&P 9c --> S&W M&P 9fs --> S&W Shield --> ???

Along that route I somewhere picked up a J-frame revolver to carry on the days when I didn't want to carry a gun. I'll also carry a G17 on occasion when I'm gonna be working on the farm all day.

jwj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2021
    Columbus
    Mine is still ongoing…..

In December of 2020, one of my closest life-long friends who has been a 2A enthusiast for over 20 years told me I’d been talking about learning about firearms for a few years now, and that he thought I might ought to consider it based on current events at the time.

So, I consulted with another trusted friend who was local, who referred me to Acme Sports in Seymour, IN, where I went and purchased a S&W Shield 2.0 EZ on 12/31. I was fingerprinted early in January and received my CCW permit 38 days later.

January 28th, I returned to Acme and purchased a Hellcat OSP after reading a few reviews and watching YouTube videos.

In February, I bought my P365.

In March, I purchased 2 different Shield Plus models.

In June, I picked up my first P320, a X-Full, and a Glock 17 Gen 5.

In July, I picked up my Wilson Combat P320 and in August, a P320 Max.

After shooting most of these a fair amount, the P365 that I swapped out with a P366XL grip is probably my favorite and the one that seems to feel the best of the compact or smaller pistols. I really wish it had a flat trigger. And I know Sig sells one, as do many aftermarket suppliers.

I feel like all the shields are gonna get sold or traded, along with the G17. I don’t think I want to carry a full size. Even though the P320s have quickly become my favorite to shoot! They are just a little large to even consider concealing.

So, I’m torn and still kicking around the idea of whether to put a flat trigger in my P365, or pick up a P365X with the slide milled for an optic, or whether one of the ‘compact’ or ‘carry’ p320s would suit me better.

But I still need to train a bit more before I feel I am ready to carry. I’ve fired a little over 2000 rounds this year and feel a lot more comfortable around firearms than I did a year ago!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Beretta 92fs --> Cougar 8000 --> CZ75B --> P-01 --> Nightmare carry in 357 --> P229 in 357 ---> FNP 9 --->FNP 40

Settled on DA/SA with decocker and carry the FNP 40 when I want a full size and the P-01 when I want less gun

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    In the old days, I carried a S&W M66 in my briefcase or under my seat.
    Then I carried a j frame in a cheap holster or pocket.
    At some point I carried a Colt Commander and then a New Agent.
    Followed by a Springfield XD-40.
    Sig P220c or M11-A1
    Then a Sig P320sc
    More recently a H&K P2000 or USPc .45.

There are probably some other mixed in there.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I couldn’t even begin to try to remember all the things I’ve tried. I am intrigued by the Ruger Max 9.
    I'm in the same boat, since there have been over a dozen revolvers & at least a couple of dozen of semi-autos I've experimented with for CC.
    I didn't even know about the Ruger Max 9 until 3 weeks ago
    &
    began comparing it with others I had
    or was was interested in, using handgunhero.com/compare.
    I just happened to stumble onto a used one at Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield & picked it up 2 weeks ago.
    They have the best used prices I've seen anywhere, but I don't get by very often since I moved further South 3 yrs. ago.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I started with a full size 1911. Then a Bersa 9mm -> Kimber Ultra -> Ed Brown Exec Carry -> Glock 23 -> Various CZs -> Glock 30 -> various DW 1911s -> Back to the G23 -> back to CZs -> back to 1911s (did this cycle for about 6 years) -> Sig P229/P226 and have been there ever since.

There were lots of other things mixed in over the years. The Sig P229 has been the only one to hold a 90% carry rate for over 6 months though and it’s not going to change soon. Been almost a year and it’s still what I shoot best.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I started with a Taurus Model 44 6.5" carried it for about 6 years.
    Then I bought a Russian Makarov it was military surplus, but mine looked brand new never issued. I carried for a few years then sold it (still kicking myself) and bought a Beretta 92 stainless steel.
    My BIL wanted the 92 so I gave it to him for a birthday gift. I carried it for 15 years.
    Then bought the S&W Shield 45 carried it for several years now it's dedicated to summer carry not while working. At work I carry RIA Ultra FS 10MM, and in cooler months I carry the CZ P10F. I blame the INGO CZickos for that buy, and Churchmouse for now owning two 1911's in 10mm and 45acp.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Journey probably isn't over.(will it ever be?).
    For YEARS a G-19. Just this week I switched to a G-43X with a Holosun7 on top. Handles 147grSpeer GDHP well, and at 25yds stay out of its way.

Attachments

• 20210819_185925.jpg
      20210819_185925.jpg
      1.8 MB · Views: 23

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Let's see if I can remember.

Buddy got me into guns and he was a huge Glock guy, so I started out with a G19. Got into 1911s so for a while I carried a full size 1911, then went to a CCO sized 1911. From there I carried a Legion P226 SAO for a while, then went to a Shield 1.0 and then went back to compact sized polymer striker fired with no safety when the P10C came out. Still consider that my EDC (now an OR version with an optic), but I've taken to carrying a Shield Plus more often than not lately.

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    I’ve pretty much been back and forth with Glock and M&Ps. Started out with the Glock. Currently I’m all M&Ps with a Taurus TX 22. Love that gun.

Throughout the years I’ve tried various pocket guns. These guns eventually get sold off. I’ll pick me up a LCP 22 again I’d imagine.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I carried a Walther PP in 7.65mm for most of my early adult life '81 to '07. Although the experts say it is less than optimum, I never felt under armed with 9 rounds of .32 Winchester Silvertip.

Remember, I'm not LEO and my needs are more of a defensive nature. My late father, a LEO and I often debated this choice. Dad would say: "That .32 won't penetrate a car windshield." I would reply: "If a car is heading toward me, I'm not shooting, I'm getting the heck out of the way."

In 2007, my personal armorer, we'll call him "Q", put me into a stainless, Interarms Walther PPK in 9mm kurz(...note: Bond's armorer would get around to this caliber upgrade in 2012).

RXGJK0o.jpg

I carried the larger bore PPK until 2017 when my stepson showed up at the range one day with the new Walther CCP. I shot the CCP once and purchased my own a week later. The CCP is a reduced recoil pistol that upgraded me from 7 rounds of .380 to 9 rounds of 9mm Luger in a package almost as easily concealed as my PPK; but, what caused me to embrace the CCP was it's accuracy.

Since then, the CCP is my go to pistol for training and EDC. I bought another CCP and had TRUGLO TFX Pro Sight Set installed. My fiancee also trains occasionally with the CCP. So, when we travel we pack both CCPs and a half dozen loaded magazines.

QefsGt3.jpg

Although the CCP is my main EDC, the PPK is still in the rotation, if I'm just running a local errand and if I'm outside doing yard work, I've got a little John Moses Browning designed 1908 Colt Vest pocket I'll slip into my pocket.

TcTPbif.jpg

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I carried a Walther PP in 7.65mm for most of my early adult life '81 to '07. Although the experts say it is less than optimum, I never felt under armed with 9 rounds of .32 Winchester Silvertip.

Remember, I'm not LEO and my needs are more of a defensive nature. My late father, a LEO and I often debated this choice. Dad would say: "That .32 won't penetrate a car windshield." I would reply: "If a car is heading toward me, I'm not shooting, I'm getting the heck out of the way."

In 2007, my personal armorer, we'll call him "Q", put me into a stainless, Interarms Walther PPK in 9mm kurz(...note: Bond's armorer would get around to this caliber upgrade in 2012).

RXGJK0o.jpg

I carried the larger bore PPK until 2017 when my stepson showed up at the range one day with the new Walther CCP. I shot the CCP once and purchased my own a week later. The CCP is a reduced recoil pistol that upgraded me from 7 rounds of .380 to 9 rounds of 9mm Luger in a package almost as easily concealed as my PPK; but, what caused me to embrace the CCP was it's accuracy.

Since then, the CCP is my go to pistol for training and EDC. I bought another CCP and had TRUGLO TFX Pro Sight Set installed. My fiancee also trains occasionally with the CCP. So, when we travel we pack both CCPs and a half dozen loaded magazines.

QefsGt3.jpg

Although the CCP is my main EDC, the PPK is still in the rotation, if I'm just running a local errand and if I'm outside doing yard work, I've got a little John Moses Browning designed 1908 Colt Vest pocket I'll slip into my pocket.

TcTPbif.jpg
    Been wanting to try a CCP for such a long time, sad that I missed out on grabbing one when they were damn near free.

Started with a Ruger SR22 in the coat pocket. Went from there to a Taurus 709 in IWB. Sold that to get a PC Shield 9mm and carried that IWB in a Stealthgear holster for a long time. Eventually I saw the light and moved it to AIWB. Recently my USP9c has been displacing the Shield in more and more contexts.

After experimenting with a Taurus TCP and Kahr CW380, I ended up ditching .380 for ultralight carry and going to a S&W 442 which I carry when I run and when I need an extremely low profile carry. 5 shots for sure is better than 6-7 shots maybe, I have not had good luck with tiny autos.

Top Bottom