• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    I have a 2004 Ford Excursion diesel. Haul 6-8 adults comfortably, 19 mpg if easy on the pedal, and pull that large boat or snowmobile trailer also. Not looking to hear about the 6.0, mines been good so far.

tsugaruroman

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    UAZ 469, but skip the S part in SUV - there is nothng sportuy about it, purely U. No other truck will beat it in the mud, though. Too bad they don't sell them in US.

tsugaruroman

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Well, I rather like my current 4-Runner, but my heart belongs to my old International Scouts. I owned 2 over the years and they were better than anything I've owned since. They were built right (except for the rusting part) and tough and were more than comfortable enough. Drove mine into the ground. Wish they'd bring them back, with the same features and engines.

Man, I am a foreigner and it is shame I got to this country too late ot get one of those Scouts. They have everything you need, and nothing that you don't. I looked at few, but hey are too expensive to buy now. If I had my choice I would get either scout or one of old Russian military 4x4, GAZ 69 or UAZ 469.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I hope you don't ever need the function of UTILITY. The rear seats don't fold down in the X5 I rode in. That's just plain silly.

I thought they all folded down. I know you can get them with the option if they aren't standard. I also know they don't put the release levers in the same places Gov't Motors or Ford would put them.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I thought they all folded down. I know you can get them with the option if they aren't standard. I also know they don't put the release levers in the same places Gov't Motors or Ford would put them.

Maybe the douchebag I was riding with just had the wrong information. I specifically asked him and he informed me that they did NOT fold down.

I'll call it a SV, as it seems to be lacking the UTILITY. Nice, but no more practical than your M5.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Maybe the douchebag I was riding with just had the wrong information. I specifically asked him and he informed me that they did NOT fold down.

I'll call it a SV, as it seems to be lacking the UTILITY. Nice, but no more practical than your M5.

Oh come on now! LOL The second row of seats I am sure has more leg room then my M5! Plus from the factory, the M5 has 2 subwoofers that hang down a little in the trunk area that make putting boxes in that would otherwise fit a hassle.

It would work for me and I know it won't for others. But I have my truck that can tow or haul stuff in the bed so I think that is why I like it.

RTM15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Not my favorite ride I have ever had but 06 Envoy Denalli. Pulls my 26' wakeboard boat great so no complains here.

Crocodator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 6, 2012
    Hancock County
    We have a 2005 diesel Ford Excursion, and it is my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. Ours is the 4x4 Limited, so it has all the bells and whistles and the first owner took good care of it.

I just had to drop a lot of cash at the dealership to have some major work done (head gasket, among other things) but it's saying something about how much I love this truck that I STILL like it in spite of how much it cost me.

The power is incredible, the fuel economy is pretty good for the size of the monster, it's a great ride, and the space inside just keeps going and going.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    imagesCAKZP029.jpg

1. Just shy of completely impractical
    2. Instant look of Russian arms dealer
    3. Be the only one on you block that has one

I like the Range Rovers too, supercharged of course :spend:

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    BMW offers X5
    MB offers the large GL and the midsize ML now, they bringing over a really small GLK diesel for '13
    VW offers the midsize Touareg
    Audi offers the midsize Q7 and announced a smaller unit for '13 or '14
    Jeep announced a common rail diesel for '13 in the midsize Grand Cherokee

Sadly we can't find an American SUV with a diesel engine of any size.
    If mileage and towing are of concern, you don't want anything other than these. Picked up an ML350 Bluetec for the wife last year and don't have a single complaint. ~30 mpg on highway trips, between 25 - 28 going back and forth to work, and 7200 pounds of towing capacity. Some of the small gassers can get close to that mileage on the highway but can't hold a candle to towing capacity. We tow a 23' boat with ease. Can't speak to reliability yet but no trouble so far. I keep the maintenance costs down by DIY. Dealer visits would make most of the above options more costly to own.

Right now the VW is the least expensive diesel option followed by MB then BMW and Audi. If Jeep really offers the diesel in '13, it will likely be the MB engine since they're already using MB's chassis.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Chevrolet Tahoe. I have owned them since my first one on 97. Till have a 2000 with 183k on it. It burns no oil and runs like new. Just purchased a 2012 Traverse for the wife. With GM's interest and incentives it was a no brainier. I could not testify 50k for a new Tahoe this time. Only one kid left at home and all that. The Traverse should be just fine.

Top Bottom