What's the best way to clean brass without a tumbler?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironSY395

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Valpo
    Not looking to get a tumbler at this time because im not fully ready to start reloading so what would be the best way to clean brass in a 5 gal bucket?

Mephitical

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Lebanon
    You don't have to be ready to reload to start cleaning brass. If you plan on getting a tumbler at some point, I would get it now and start cleaning and separating your brass. IMO it's better to start reloading when you're ready instead of starting to clean your brass.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    Vinegar or Simple Green let it soak and swish it around occasionally. Probably use blue or green Scotch Bright pad or sponge with attached pad.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I use Simple Green and hot water. Roll around and let soak for a couple hrs. works GREAT!!!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    It depends on what you mean by "clean", but for rifle cases that I'm trimming to length with a Lee Cutter system, I use 0000 steel wool to brighten up the neck and shoulder. Since I've already got the case chucked up in a cordless drill, I just spin it and hold the steel wool around the case. Makes those key areas really shiny so I can see any defects.

Other than that I don't mess with making cases sparkle; they really just need to be free of debris to reload 'em. ;)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I did the Simple Green and hot water thing once.

I went to Von Tobel and bought a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. Dumped in the hot water and Simple Green, stirred with paint stick and then dumped in the brass. I put the lid on and let it sit for a couple of hours as I was doing laundry and running errands. I grabbed it by the handle and shook it a couple of times.

ironSY395

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Valpo
    I did the Simple Green and hot water thing once.

I went to Von Tobel and bought a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. Dumped in the hot water and Simple Green, stirred with paint stick and then dumped in the brass. I put the lid on and let it sit for a couple of hours as I was doing laundry and running errands. I grabbed it by the handle and shook it a couple of times.
    And that seemed to do the trick? thsnks again and woot woot im at 50 posts

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, but I think I let them soak overnight.

My tumbler is much quicker and leaves them much more shiny.

My Frankford tumbler was $40 and runs like a sewing machine (I may have the only one). I put in the deattached garage because of potential dust hazard.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I actually tossed a handful (200ish) into a mesh bag and ran it through the wash with my ratty/shop towels before I got a tumbler. Cleaned enough of the dirt off the cases, didn't leave em shiny but clean enough to load my first batch. After I learned the basics, I ordered a tumbler. A cheap vibratory tumbler should really be on your purchase list along with press, dies and components. But, like you I didn't know if I wanted to put another $50 into a hobby I wasn't sure I would stick with.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Unless brass gets dropped in the mud and has real dirt on it, it rarely needs cleaning before resizing. That little bit of black carbon that might be on it is soft and cannot hurt anything. Pistol brass goes directly from the range to the carbide resizer, unless it has mud that needs to be cleaned off first.

i use simple green to clean off the resizing lube after resizing rifle brass. I think that is important. Shiny brass is not important.

dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    just from past experience (BAD) i could not in good conscience recommend you use ANY method that gets your brass WET ... im sure others have done it these ways without issue, not so lucky here ...

whippo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Indianapolis
    just from past experience (BAD) i could not in good conscience recommend you use ANY method that gets your brass WET ... im sure others have done it these ways without issue, not so lucky here ...

if your issue was it was wet when you loaded. that is easily fixed by 1-2 hrs in the oven on the lowest setting I.e. 170deg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom