What's the best method for surface rust?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    A few years ago i ordered a color case hardened Cooper action, along with Talley rings and bases that I gave my brother. Absolutely spectacular. Turnbull's crew does Coopers work....

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    ... have him blue it old school or Color Case harden it.

Oooh, now here's a man that can spend another man's money! :)

Maybe some nitre blued screws..

-Nate

Right? I'm trying to cheap into this. :laugh:

Gunsmith is recommending a good soaking in Kano Kroil and some 0000 steel wool. He says the blueing should still be there if it is only 'surface rust'.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    They are absolutely stunning with the action, rings, and Turnbull's work. Your brother is a luck guy

They really are, every time I see his work I just stare at it.. I have thought more than once about buying one of his restoration Winchester 1896 levers in 45-90 more than once..

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Up close pics are amazing how they can show EVERY blemish. When I finally put my hands on the sight, it was in much better condition than I expected. I used 0000 steel wool and some standard Hoppe's. It turned out very good. It's at the gunsmith now, I'll post up pics when it gets back home.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    There are some tricks to using that Super Blue. Some metals take it, others don't. I touched up a very ugly K31 and it came out great. Some of my other old bolt guns didn't take at all.

You can use a very small model paint brush and just dab the spot you want then blend it into the surrounding areas using a cotton ball or q-tip. Keep the blue moving at all times. If it stops it dries and leaves spots. Move the cotton constantly keeping the area wet. When it gets close to dark enough stop and switch to water. Water will stop it from getting any darker.

Oldbird13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hamilton County,IN
    Surprised no one has mentioned the Big45 product. I have removed major rust as well as fine from numerous rifles, hand guns and their parts. Also used on vintage scope tubes. Kano Kroil and Big45 would be my choice. Good luck.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    If it is only surface rust you can try putting gun oil on it, then sprinkle powdered graphite in the oil and use a pencil eraser to rub it away. It may require a bit of elbow grease.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have some stuff made by Kroil called exrust. It works well but not sure it would leave bluing, It will remove the rust nicely though

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    It's a tribute to the Springfield M1903 National Match Special sold through the DCM between 1924 & 1928. Brophy details it in his book about the 1903 on page 203.

Top Bottom