• ...and so much more!
  • Inabcentia

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Bloomington
    Hi all,
    I bought an Enfield about 15 years at an Indy 1500. I have never really "bonded" with it and now want to sell or trade it. I know there are experts on the forum here for every make and model firearm so I am hoping someone can help me figure out, roughly what my rifle is worth. It has been so many years I won't really mind taking a small hit on it but I want to be fair to myself and whoever I deal with. Here are some markings.
    On the left side of breech (opposite side from eject) it says, No. 4, Mk 1 *. Then under that LONG BRANCH. Then under that, 1944. At end of barrel, on top, it says 303 CAN and on left side of, end of barrel it says CAI ST ALB VT. That's all I could find for the moment. I'm guessing that means it was made in Canada in 1944 and was imported into the US through Vermont. I am just guessing so I may be way off.

Also, I put on an after market scope mount. This did not physically alter the rifle except that it required removal of a piece above the rear of the bolt so the holes that were already there could be used to mount the scope mount. I can not remember what the piece looked like and could not find it in my gun cabinet when I just looked. I will keep looking. Anyone have any idea what this rifle might be worth? Thanks.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have an no 4 here in the shop stamped with the S and a broad arrow signifying use in South Africa. I have $230 on it and it has been here a few days only. I just sold a no 5 Jungle Carbine last week for $300 that sat here for a couple of months. The market seems a bit soft on these at this time IMHO.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    When I was kid, about 40 years ago, my Uncle had an old rifle he called "British 303". We'd go shooting every time we go together, mainly .22 and shotguns, and on occasion a pistol or two. It was a great time to be a kid. Well one day my cousin pulled the old rifle out of the truck and told his dad he wanted to shoot it. So we got it out, got it loaded and my cousin brought that thing up to his 10 year old shoulder and let 'er rip. Knocked him on his ass. We laughed for a couple of decades.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have an no 4 here in the shop stamped with the S and a broad arrow signifying use in South Africa. I have $230 on it and it has been here a few days only. I just sold a no 5 Jungle Carbine last week for $300 that sat here for a couple of months. The market seems a bit soft on these at this time IMHO.

They were steadily rising for a while (not super high, but going from $100 to $250 or even $300), but I think when the surplus .303 dried up and all that was left was factory ammo at $20+ a box, the interest in these old battle rifles died. It's too bad Tula or Wolf aren't making inexpensive ammo. They are great rifles with beautiful actions. I still have my old No 4 Mk 1, but it's been relegated to the gun cabinet. I have a "No. 7" from Gibbs (basically a No. 5 Jungle carbine made from an Ishapore 2a in 7.62). I would shoot that gun a lot more if the sights weren't screwed up. :(

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have the Indian jungle carbine in 7.62x51, so ammunition isn't an issue. I finagled a scope mount on it, as well. If I had to pick out a "one rifle" from what I have, this would pretty much be it.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I recently sold a 1943 Long Branch (Canada) No 4 MK 1 at auction for $210. It was in what I would call "good" condition, no corrosion and shiney bore with walnut stock.:twocents:

Inabcentia

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the replies, you guys. Very helpful and very much appreciated. Also to PistolBob: thanks for the anecdote. I have an eight year old boy. Maybe I ought to let him shoot it before I let it go. You just can't buy memories like that! Also, the piece I removed was the rear sight slide part. I found a couple of places online to replace that for about 25$ but I am still looking for the one I removed.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Ive got one of these rifles too, you should take it out and shoot a box of modern ammo thru it to get a feel for the gun's recoil. Its stout and fun to shoot, just expensive to buy new .303 ammo retail :(.

Your rifle was made in Canada during WWII to be sent to help arm Great Britain against the Nazis. This model differed from the Mark I in that the bolt-head catch was eliminated and a cut-out on the bolt head track was used for its removal. Over 2 million were produced during the war. Thus being a pretty common variant, fetching a price of $275 for one in good condition. This is just a book value and is highly dependent on both the condition and the buyer who is interested in it.

CAI was the importer, usually import marks bring down the value of the weapon but are pretty hard to get around as these were sold back to the US and will usually have some kind of import stamp, just shows its history as to how it reached our soil.

My source is the "The standard Catalog of Miltary Firearms" 6th edition. (current)

osbornk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Marion, Va
    I had a Canadian one made in 1941. A soldier named Fifer had put his name on it. I donated it to a local historical museum for display along with a 1888 Sweedish repeating rifle that was the first repeating rifle ever issued by a government.

Top Bottom