• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    Hi all. I am currently a university student in Indiana and I am looking for a knife to take to school everyday. The reasoning behind this is that the school specifically prohibits carrying firearms and I don't want to risk expulsion/loss of credits, however I do want to be able to protect myself should the need arise ergo knife. So, here is my question: Does anyone know of a good concealable knife that I could carry everyday without my fellow students noticing? I would prefer it to be on the less expensive side since I am a poor college student and I would also like it to be a fixed blade. I've looked into Ka-bar knives already and the grip/blade angle is not for me. I would prefer a more traditional knife. Thanks.

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    Unfortnately in this day and age, a fxed blade knife is NOT a good idea on any campus.
    Indiana does have any regulation on any traditional knives, but be aware of the school rules.
    I would get a folder, with a blade under or around three inches.
    Kershaw speedsafe is just as fast to deploy in the event you "have to open a box or cut rope in a hurry"
    Colleges do not play around any more.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Does your school have a "list" of what you can't carry? If not, I'd carry a 4" folding pocket knife capable of being opened one-handed. Wal-Mart has a number of affordable ones that will not impress knife snobs, but can be pressed into the service you describe.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    first, yes find out what the regulations are. nateIU10 should be able to help you with that as he is an IU student. second if you just want something to stab with for self defense go over to traildust and pick up one of the "covert Israeli knives" made of polymer (same as this but cheaper C.I.A. COVERT CUTTER PLASTIC KNIFE (. beyond that I need more info before I can recomend anything more

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Whatever you get, I recommend you train with it as you would with a handgun. To not do so is a fast way to ensure that your self-defense tool gets taken away and put somewhere very uncomfortable.

I am also told that the idea of cutting another human being's flesh in this manner is a difficult task. Ensuring your readiness before the need arises is probably a good thing to prepare to do, both physically and mentally.

Blessings,
    Bill

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Hard to go wrong with a Gerber. I've carried my old Mk1 all over the globe. It's a fixed blade, but Gerber makes a wide variety of folders, if you want to go that route. While they don't make the old MK series they do have a nice Guardian Back Up. They aren't cheapo knives, tho.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Hard to go wrong with While they don't make the old MK series they do have a nice Guardian Back Up. They aren't cheapo knives, tho.

Mine rattles like a marble in a tin can inside it's sheath. Man I'd say a spyderco Delica is the way to go, I carry my kabar tdi a lot on campus as well as at work. You looking to centerline carry? pocket? any way you can be more specific as to size, and method of carry you want?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I am also told that the idea of cutting another human being's flesh in this manner is a difficult task. Ensuring your readiness before the need arises is probably a good thing to prepare to do, both physically and mentally.

Blessings,
    Bill

in the words of tommy lee jones in the hunted "once you are able to kill mentally, the physical part will be easy".

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I carried a Spyderco Military all through grad school at IU (I just graduated in May). No one said anything or appeared to even notice. My co-workers at the lab I worked in at the time were a bit surprised when I whipped it out the first time though.

padishar123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Leo, IN
    i've been carrying the same black knife since i was a kid (including 5 years in college). it's a smith and wesson SWAT styling. mine is likely obsolete but the concept is the same.

SW3000.jpg

i don't care for the "assisted" openers or lockable ones. i view it as a tool and for self defense possibly. i would recommend staying away from serrated as it's hard to sharpen them and (in my personal experience) security/police view serrated as more dangerous than a straight blade (why?). the one i have has two plastic washers to help the blade hinge open smooth. about every six months i take it apart and clean the washers with rubbing alcohol to restore the smooth action. other than that, sharpen. mine also makes a great hammer, phillips and straight screwdriver, and pry bar due to the solid aluminum handle (vs. plastic). the thing will not break or be damaged no matter how much i abuse it. i have the same knife in silver when i wear dress clothes or my suit. :)~

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I carried a Spyderco Military all through grad school at IU (I just graduated in May). No one said anything or appeared to even notice. My co-workers at the lab I worked in at the time were a bit surprised when I whipped it out the first time though.

In "sensitive" environments, I suggest carrying TWO knives; a smaller one for daily utility cutting chores or "whipping out" from time to time (smaller, such that it doesn't surprise/scare the sheep), and a larger knife for dedicated to larger cutting chores (this one doesn't come out except in serious situations).

In addition to keeping a lower profile, it increases the liklihood that your larger blade is sharp when you need it (since you haven't been using it every day to open boxes, peel apples, etc).

Last edited:

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For the LIFE of me I cannot understand why PAYING CUSTOMERS (aka STUDENTS) are dictated TO and SERVICED in the 'higher education' arena of businesses??????????

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    For the LIFE of me I cannot understand why PAYING CUSTOMERS (aka STUDENTS) are dictated TO and SERVICED in the 'higher education' arena of businesses??????????

I wish some of my prof's remembered who paid their salaries... They act like it's the other way around! But until we do something about it, it's not gonna change... I have a class in less than two hours with a Grad student teaching and let's just say she treats us like elementary school kids and, I can't stand it!

Anyway back to the knife. I change my recommendation to Spyderco Endura... It's what I edc right now along with my TDI and nobody gets shocked when I take it out to cut whatever. If they do it's not enough to say anything to me about it. Sounds to me like the OP is just itchin to buy a new knife and wants some suggestions...
    neck knife - Spyderco SPOT, Emerson La Griffe
    folder- Spyderco Endura or Delica, Benchmade Griptillian, ZT Folder
    Fixed - TDI, Gerber Guardian, RAT Izulu, Ontario Rat-3

padishar123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Leo, IN

my college experience: you are student in class which means you are subject to the whim of each professor. however, when you are in the business office you are treated as a customer with NO rights.

so basically they switch between models (business vs. hierarchical)...whatever suits them at the moment to give them the upper hand. it's a business and you OWE them the $$$. however, if you have an issue with a class it's like "ok, well sorry to hear that. you can switch majors to basketweaving if you like."

the thing that makes me laugh is i'm in debt to the tune of about 20k and the school keeps sending me fundraising so i can "help" my alma mater. yeah right...

MarkR

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I'll just reinforce what has already been said. FIRST- find out the rules, and pay particular attention to regs pertaining to blade length, then choose one that is compliant to the rules. That said - I'd go with a folder, not a fixed blade, and choose any of the quality brands... Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, Bench Made.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    college knife?

Make sure you keep it out of sight as much as possible. I got questioned by a few instructors about my CS recon 1 folder. I think a benchmade mini pika or something about th esame size would be a decent college blade.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I have always carried a pocket knife, even when I was at IU back in the 90's. Habit I picked up early in life trying to be like my dad.

I carry different knives for different pants. My daily carry knife is a Ken Onion Kershaw Chive assisted open knife. Got it at Walmart three years ago for 29.00 bucks.

Its on the smaller side but I wouldn't hesitate to flip its open and defend myself if need be if I didn't have my Kel-Tec.

I also have a Kershaw Leek assisted opening that has a 3 inch blade I carry when I am working around the house. Its not huge and would work well for your needs. It open quick and sharpens good. Amazon has it at a good price..here is a link

Amazon.com: Kershaw Ken Onion Leek Folding Knife with Speed Safe: Sports & Outdoors

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I have always been a huge Spyderco fan, and I've given a Spyderco/Byrd Raven to both my daughter and girlfriend's son as they went off to college. They are reliable, light weight, the anodized aluminum handle is very secure, "grippable" and stable, and the cost is right. In addition, the black finish makes it much less apparrent in the corner of your pocket than knives with "shiny" finishes (depending, of course, on the color of your clothing). I'm also a fan of the partially serated blade, as seration can come in very handy in some emergency situations (e.g., cutting through a seatbelt). I also think a liner lock is the best locking mechanism for a folder.

by08bkps.jpg

Top Bottom