• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Generally speaking, I don't really care for a watch that doesn't have a compass and I've always been partial to Timex. I recently had a Timex Expedition Shock that was getting a little beat up and when I went to change the battery I lost a screw and ended up just tossing the darn thing. Now, I'm back at zero and looking for a good solid watch.

In my opinion a watch must have a compass, because why not.

I like that my old watch had a timer, some alarms, and could take a pretty reasonable beating.

So what wrist watch do you use, and why? Seems like a silly thing to ask, but if someone out there has a great idea I don't want to miss anything.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Same watch I use indoor (most of the time) ... :dunno:

It's cheap, light weight, reliable and waterproof.

MRW_200H_1B_right__78932.1385520128.500.750.jpg

No compass built-in, I have a separate one if I need one.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Same watch I use indoor (most of the time) ... :dunno:

I probably didn't set that up right. I wear the same watch indoors as I do outdoors as well. I was trying to get at what watch has features that you like that come in handy for outdoors things.

For example, when I've gone hiking in the past I really like knowing I have a redundant compass on my body that doesn't cost any more weight. When taking the family through a corn maze the compass is handy just for practice. When getting wet or muddy, I've appreciated that it's waterproof and the all rubber body washes off very easily. When having early morning appointments or reminders to do something the alarms have come in handy. I like having the timer for running laps or other similar activities.

I've never had or found a use for the altimeter, barometer, or many other features out there. I know a lot of people get different uses out of there equipment and thought I'd ask any outdoorsmen here what they get out of their watches.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I probably didn't set that up right. I wear the same watch indoors as I do outdoors as well. I was trying to get at what watch has features that you like that come in handy for outdoors things.

For example, when I've gone hiking in the past I really like knowing I have a redundant compass on my body that doesn't cost any more weight. When taking the family through a corn maze the compass is handy just for practice. When getting wet or muddy, I've appreciated that it's waterproof and the all rubber body washes off very easily. When having early morning appointments or reminders to do something the alarms have come in handy. I like having the timer for running laps or other similar activities.

I've never had or found a use for the altimeter, barometer, or many other features out there. I know a lot of people get different uses out of there equipment and thought I'd ask any outdoorsmen here what they get out of their watches.

I had a watch with altimeter, barometer, thermometer etc ... turned out it was too bulky and I never used most of the features.
    You had to remove the watch for 5 to 10 minutes to get an accurate temperature without your body temperature interfering.
    I use the rotating bezel as a timer if I need to know how long it takes me to go from point A to point B, or for cooking.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I wear a Casio G-shock that uses solar power and captures the atomic signal from Ft. Collins, Colorado 6 times a day to correct the time. It's a black face secret squirrel watch so it takes time to get used to. The model is GW7900B aka Black Face. I use the adapters so I can use the Bind bands. Great watch but welding BBS have taken a toll on it. I should've bought the protective shields for it.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    G shock solar here, I am getting a Seiko snzh55 with some nato straps for my next watch. No batteries needed. Compass by the sun (or phone).

msBDRyi.jpg

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Wachoo need a watch in the outdoors for?
    Dark = sleepy time
    Light = get up
    Sun in the east = morning (and vice-versa)
    Sun in the west = afternoon (and vice-versa)
    Sun south-ish = midday-ish

Bulit-in Compass?
    I mean, if you need specific bearings then you should be using an actual compass. Right tool for the job and all...

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I wear this watch about anytime I am awake. Analog with a second hand is what I need/want and the date. Waterproof so I never hesitate spending the day in the rain or reaching into the water to grab something. Love the eco-drive never needing batteries.

bn0100-00e-1.jpg

VVVV this VVVV

I had a watch with altimeter, barometer, thermometer etc ... turned out it was too bulky and I never used most of the features.
    You had to remove the watch for 5 to 10 minutes to get an accurate temperature without your body temperature interfering.
    I use the rotating bezel as a timer if I need to know how long it takes me to go from point A to point B, or for cooking.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Fitbit Surge! It has GPS and step counts, tracks exercise and many other features. If connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth, you can see who is calling or texting and read the messages even! And if you know the time, you can figure out the compass points via the Hour hand/Sun method.

Toole

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Noblesville
    I used to be a Suunto fan but their quality over the years has gone down IMO. I had a Vector when they first came out, beat the hell out of it for 2-3yrs and during deployment and it ran like a champ, even to this day it's rather scratched up but put a new battery in and it ran fine.
    This past July I bought a Suunto Core and within a couple of months, 2 of the 3 buttons on the right started sticking and would mess the settings up (This is very light use that I was doing while wearing the watch). Suunto didn't want to warranty.
    When I get back to the states I'm probably going to be looking for one of the newer Casio ProTreks. They seem strong, and I haven't really heard any major issues with them, and the newest one is considerably thinner than their predecessors

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-PRW-30...odeID=7141123011&keywords=casio+protrek+31000

Top Bottom