What would you start with..... Brit moved to the US!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I normally would agree here, but the fact is Glock will out perform any 1911 when thrown in the mud, or dirt or fired thousands of rounds without a cleaning and is lighter in weight and has more capacity. I love 1911's too and they're fine to look at but dad gummit, I can't argue with facts.
    Gotta defend JMB's baby here. I shot a lot of US Army 1911. They will never have 13 round magazines, or weigh 19oz. But the 1911 functions just fine the JMB designed it. Dirt, mud, dust, lack of lube and maintenance don't hurt a real 1911 one bit. Take what is an otherwise fantastic gun, tune it to with in an inch of its life, with micron tolerances and an 18oz trigger, and you've got a $3500 pretty boy that functions when it feels like it. The 1911 was DESIGNED to work dirty. Les Baer, and Wilson Combat, not so much.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Flashing back in time, my first firearm was a gifted 22Lr Remington bolt action rifle. It taught me how to fire, hit targets, breathe before squeezing the trigger. Cheap ammo, and a cleaning kit gave me basics to move up to handguns, shotguns, home defense rifles.

Even a 22 cal Western style revolver would be a great plinker on target shooting with positive results. Don't be afraid to protect your home with either. Yes small caliber, but vs a baseball bat or golf club would be effective. Go to a 9mm later on. Renting and firing will give you some ideas. Save some money and buy what you want.

If you desire larger calibers, it is more cost to a starting hobby.
    I honestly have owned over 50 handguns in 40 years of shooting sports. I'm down to 6 or so that I really like and depend on. My Wife keeps one handy for her use, so count to five. All are tools in a toolbox. Each is common, and dependable. Use the right one for the right job.

Tradesmen don't carry one wrench, or screwdriver, or hammer. They usually have a few of each, and work is better with the right tool. Good Luck.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    This is sacrilege, but compared to the average 1911, the G21 recoils like a mouse fart. I find it way easier to control. Fits my hand better, too. Oh yeah, 13+1 for G21. 7 or 8 + 1 for most 1911s. I am now prepared to be drawn, quartered, shot, stab, hung, poisoned and burned at the stake.
    You are not wrong on the recoil. On the other hand the slide is like an aircraft carrier. I had one for years along with a Glock 30. The 21 is just tough for most people to carry.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Good evening you fine people on this forum!
    I have been in the USA for 6 years now and I am just in the position that I can now buy open up the flood gates of what I can see being a new hobby.
    This week I have completed my application for the License to Carry Permit (even though maybe more optional now) and will be looking at buying my first Hand Gun.
    So what would you go for first (without breaking the bank)???
    This is like asking what car to buy…you are going to get a lot personal preference responses you’ll have to weed out.

Usage for concealed carry requires something different than hunting, varmint dispatching or just range fun.
    If I could give you some direction for your stated purpose, it would go like this:
    How will you carry? Inside the waistband, outside the waistband, appendix inside? There are a ton of videos available on YouTube to help you decide. My personal preference is OWB @ 3:30.
    To determine what to carry, I’d start with what is available at your local gun store. I would find out what your local police department carries as a duty gun. That brand would be a good place to start. Not that model as it may be too big, but, that brand. Glock, Sig Sauer, S&W M&P are all good choices. They all have a COMPACT & MICRO COMPACT size. I’d also consider the caliber they use. 9mm probably and, you’d be well served using it too. The other calibers available would be a hindrance to a new shooter and anything smaller would be silly for CC.

The Springfield Hellcat is one option, Glock 43/43X/48/19/45/47 are another, M&P has a BUNCH of choices in their line, Sig has their metal guns as well as their polymer ones. I happen to like their P320 & P365 lines.

If you have a friend with firearms knowledge, take him with you to look things over. You can consider used if you know what to look for, too.

If I could pick only one pistol to carry today it would be a Sig P365 X MACRO TACOPS. It comes with 4 magazines…..a huge plus.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Oh, Nelly! I don't carry it. Don't even own a holster for it. House gun, only.
    My #2 son carried a G21 in a hybrid IWB I made for years and years. He’s 6’ 270lbs and has weight lifting records that have stood for around 18 years at his high school that graduates 500+ kids each year. He’s a mess! Lol
    1684342808721.png

Last edited:

Kernelkrink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2016
    grant county
    Welcome to the USA!

As a former member of Her Majesty's Armed Services, I would think the classic issued arms of years past would hold an interest for you. The new Springfield Armory SA-35 Browning Hi Power clone is one of the best and is available at an affordable price, compared to originals. Very "old school" in these days of combat Tupperware, but like the 1911 is still a very capable weapon. Originally issued in limited numbers to Tommies in WWII, it became the standard service sidearm in 1954, IIRC, and lasted until 2013 when it was replaced by the Glock 17.

Various issued Webley and Enfield revolvers have been imported over the years as well, the Enfields are generally affordable but some of the Webleys are getting up there in price due to the collector's market. I would love to have an all original Mark VI!

While an SA80 is going to be tough to acquire here in the Colonies, it's predecessor the L1A1 version of the FAL is available on the secondary market. Back in the day before political correctness took over so bad, the UK and others that issued them divested themselves of them when they transitioned to 5.56 NATO rifles. Many wound up here as "parts kits" with the receiver destroyed. Commercial manufacturers rebuilt them on new receivers and individuals either did the same themselves, or commissioned a Gunsmith to do it for them. Lots of them out there, I never should have sold mine. Not cheap though, neither is the ammunition!

Going back farther, the various marks of the SMLE bolt action also abound, these were brought in whole as surplus. Ammunition is again expensive, but who knows, you could wind up with the same rifle your Grandfather used to defend the Empire!

And everyone should own a good .22 rimfire handgun and rifle, cheap and quiet practice, especially if you attach a suppressor (silencer) as is common in the UK and Europe. They are highly regulated here, taxed at $200 each upon purchase, and usually start around $200 or more. But great fun and keeps you from annoying your neighbors.

I can recommend several handguns in .22, for a "target" style gun the classic Browning Buckmark or Ruger MK series are hard to beat and affordable. If cost is not an issue, the S&W model 41 is the Rolls Royce of US made target pistols. The Taurus TX22 is pretty much a version of the modern plastic self defense guns that makes for good practice as an "understudy" to your defensive carry pistol of that type. In a revolver, the Ruger single actions are top notch, and the Wrangler models are quite affordable for a p[linker. The Full steel models with their higher price tag are a better gun though, again I wish I had never sold mine! Double action a S&W model 17 is what most other rimfire revolvers aspire to be, again this is the one if cost is no object.

Ruger, Anschutz, Marlin, Remington, and Winchester all made decent to excellent rifles, in all the various action types. If cost were no object, a good Ruger 77/22 would fulfill my bolt action needs, a Remington or Winchester would do for a slide action, and of course the classic Marlin model 39 (pre-safety) would be the ultimate lever rifle. Anschutz would be an excellent choice for a target rifle, their accuracy is legendary. You pay for it though! A semi auto, the Ruger 10/22 is probably the most popular, with good reason. If a decent stock rifle is all you desire, one of the Marlin model 60s or the magazine fed version would not be a bad choice. Economical too.

Another rifle everyone should own is a decent AR15, choices abound from bargain $450 rifles to ones that cost more than a good used car. Almost every maker of rifles that sells autoloaders has an AR15 variant in their catalog. Or you can build one from the ground up exactly as you want it.

A pump shotgun is also handy to have around the house, A Remington 870 is the standard among police and hunters alike, although the Mossbergs are also popular. I would feel well armed if handed either one. Mossberg, Remington, and Benelli all make excellent semi autos, a genuine SAIGA is about the only box magazine fed one I would trust though.

A self defense handgun is a highly personal choice, and choices run into the hundreds if not thousands! These days the 9mm is considered the "sweet spot" for effectiveness, capacity, "shootability", and size efficiency. Other calibers have their fans as well, both up and down on the size/power spectrum. Most common commercially loaded self defense oriented calibers like .380, 9mm, .38/.357, .40S&W, 10mm, and .45 ACP all perform similarly when fired into a test media. Not surprising when meeting the "FBI test criteria" is the major selling point for SD ammunition. Lots more variation when you get beyond the "2 legged critter defense" oriented stuff, some of the larger caliber "bear medicine" loads intended to stop a charging Grizzly bear can be quite devastating on both ends of the launcher!

I like the S&W M&P 2.0 line in the various calibers, a pretty good gun out of the box and unmodified. The higher end Performance Center models are most excellent! The Glock grip angle and feel never "felt right" to me, but the Polymer 80 versions of the various Glock models got the grip right. Available as both a "do it yourself" frame and as a completed handgun, you can build one exactly as you want it or buy "off the shelf" ready to go. Like the AR15, everyone should own a Glock (clone!). Parts and magazines will always be available for the foreseeable future anyway.

A revolver can offer both small compact carry (a S&W snubby airweight for example) or a more powerful larger framed model. S&W, Colt, and Ruger all offer excellent choices.

In any event, you should visit many gun stores and ranges, feel and handle any guns that interest you, then do a thorough research on that model on the internet. Most brands have their own owner's forums and you can get a good idea if a particular gun is good quality and can do what you want it to from others experiences with them. If you have a specific sport in mind like trap/skeet, 3 gun, IPSC, etc. then what others win with would be a major consideration. Hunting, again the specifics will dictate what you want. The squirrel hunter, deer hunter, and moose hunter will likely choose different guns matched to their chosen species and local terrain.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Welcome to the USA!

As a former member of Her Majesty's Armed Services, I would think the classic issued arms of years past would hold an interest for you. The new Springfield Armory SA-35 Browning Hi Power clone is one of the best and is available at an affordable price, compared to originals. Very "old school" in these days of combat Tupperware, but like the 1911 is still a very capable weapon. Originally issued in limited numbers to Tommies in WWII, it became the standard service sidearm in 1954, IIRC, and lasted until 2013 when it was replaced by the Glock 17.

Various issued Webley and Enfield revolvers have been imported over the years as well, the Enfields are generally affordable but some of the Webleys are getting up there in price due to the collector's market. I would love to have an all original Mark VI!

While an SA80 is going to be tough to acquire here in the Colonies, it's predecessor the L1A1 version of the FAL is available on the secondary market. Back in the day before political correctness took over so bad, the UK and others that issued them divested themselves of them when they transitioned to 5.56 NATO rifles. Many wound up here as "parts kits" with the receiver destroyed. Commercial manufacturers rebuilt them on new receivers and individuals either did the same themselves, or commissioned a Gunsmith to do it for them. Lots of them out there, I never should have sold mine. Not cheap though, neither is the ammunition!

Going back farther, the various marks of the SMLE bolt action also abound, these were brought in whole as surplus. Ammunition is again expensive, but who knows, you could wind up with the same rifle your Grandfather used to defend the Empire!

And everyone should own a good .22 rimfire handgun and rifle, cheap and quiet practice, especially if you attach a suppressor (silencer) as is common in the UK and Europe. They are highly regulated here, taxed at $200 each upon purchase, and usually start around $200 or more. But great fun and keeps you from annoying your neighbors.

I can recommend several handguns in .22, for a "target" style gun the classic Browning Buckmark or Ruger MK series are hard to beat and affordable. If cost is not an issue, the S&W model 41 is the Rolls Royce of US made target pistols. The Taurus TX22 is pretty much a version of the modern plastic self defense guns that makes for good practice as an "understudy" to your defensive carry pistol of that type. In a revolver, the Ruger single actions are top notch, and the Wrangler models are quite affordable for a p[linker. The Full steel models with their higher price tag are a better gun though, again I wish I had never sold mine! Double action a S&W model 17 is what most other rimfire revolvers aspire to be, again this is the one if cost is no object.

Ruger, Anschutz, Marlin, Remington, and Winchester all made decent to excellent rifles, in all the various action types. If cost were no object, a good Ruger 77/22 would fulfill my bolt action needs, a Remington or Winchester would do for a slide action, and of course the classic Marlin model 39 (pre-safety) would be the ultimate lever rifle. Anschutz would be an excellent choice for a target rifle, their accuracy is legendary. You pay for it though! A semi auto, the Ruger 10/22 is probably the most popular, with good reason. If a decent stock rifle is all you desire, one of the Marlin model 60s or the magazine fed version would not be a bad choice. Economical too.

Another rifle everyone should own is a decent AR15, choices abound from bargain $450 rifles to ones that cost more than a good used car. Almost every maker of rifles that sells autoloaders has an AR15 variant in their catalog. Or you can build one from the ground up exactly as you want it.

A pump shotgun is also handy to have around the house, A Remington 870 is the standard among police and hunters alike, although the Mossbergs are also popular. I would feel well armed if handed either one. Mossberg, Remington, and Benelli all make excellent semi autos, a genuine SAIGA is about the only box magazine fed one I would trust though.

A self defense handgun is a highly personal choice, and choices run into the hundreds if not thousands! These days the 9mm is considered the "sweet spot" for effectiveness, capacity, "shootability", and size efficiency. Other calibers have their fans as well, both up and down on the size/power spectrum. Most common commercially loaded self defense oriented calibers like .380, 9mm, .38/.357, .40S&W, 10mm, and .45 ACP all perform similarly when fired into a test media. Not surprising when meeting the "FBI test criteria" is the major selling point for SD ammunition. Lots more variation when you get beyond the "2 legged critter defense" oriented stuff, some of the larger caliber "bear medicine" loads intended to stop a charging Grizzly bear can be quite devastating on both ends of the launcher!

I like the S&W M&P 2.0 line in the various calibers, a pretty good gun out of the box and unmodified. The higher end Performance Center models are most excellent! The Glock grip angle and feel never "felt right" to me, but the Polymer 80 versions of the various Glock models got the grip right. Available as both a "do it yourself" frame and as a completed handgun, you can build one exactly as you want it or buy "off the shelf" ready to go. Like the AR15, everyone should own a Glock (clone!). Parts and magazines will always be available for the foreseeable future anyway.

A revolver can offer both small compact carry (a S&W snubby airweight for example) or a more powerful larger framed model. S&W, Colt, and Ruger all offer excellent choices.

In any event, you should visit many gun stores and ranges, feel and handle any guns that interest you, then do a thorough research on that model on the internet. Most brands have their own owner's forums and you can get a good idea if a particular gun is good quality and can do what you want it to from others experiences with them. If you have a specific sport in mind like trap/skeet, 3 gun, IPSC, etc. then what others win with would be a major consideration. Hunting, again the specifics will dictate what you want. The squirrel hunter, deer hunter, and moose hunter will likely choose different guns matched to their chosen species and local terrain.
    Heckuva post

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, about that. As a US Marine, I’d like to remind you we aren’t that and haven’t been since 1776.
    3qzg9h.jpg

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Yeah, about that. As a US Marine, I’d like to remind you we aren’t that and haven’t been since 1776.
    Close enough, but not historically accurate.
    April 19, 1774 - American Forces fire "the shot heard round the world" - Lexington & Concord. At this point a few Americans (colonists) have made a bold, a not entirely sure-to-work movement to establish a new country.

November 10, 1775 - Second Continental Congress establishes the Continental Marines. The original intent was as a landing/boarding force for Naval engagements. The 'colonies' had a well-organized, professional military force well before the United States of America existed. It remains, to this day, the best equipped, best military fighting force the world has ever known. I admit to being somewhat biased; my Dad was United States Marine... until he died... probably still is. On his last Memorial Day, I watched him stand at Attention while a Marine Corps Auxiliary band played "Taps". His hand was not on his heart, it was raised in a military salute; the only break in his bearing was the tears running down his face. This may only matter to US Marines, but it is huge to me: he served as part of the initial landing forces on Iwo Jima, Saipan, and Tinian. On 8/6/45, he was in Hawaii training for the invasion of Japan. Thank god for FDR and JR Oppenheimer.

July 4, 1776 - 12 of 13 colonies vote to approve the Declaration of Independence. New York abstained, having no instructions from Albany on the matter.

August 2, 1776 - Second Continental Congress officially signs the United States Declaration of Independence. At this point, a significant number of Americans believe it is quite possible to throw off the yoke of British Imperialism.

October 31, 1776 - King George III gives a speech in Parliament stating "it was necessary to prepare for another campaign (military)" in the colonies.

September 3, 1783 - Treaty of Paris is signed. Great Britain officially recognizes the United States of America as a free and independent country.

At no point in 1776 was it certain the United States of America would EVER exist. That was a battle yet to be won. What happened at Lexington and Concord is roughly equivalent to what happened at Fort Sumter, the first shots of a long, protracted, bloody war.

If you were British between 4/19/1774 and 9/3/1783, what existed on this continent were still officially British Colonies. If you lived on this continent, not so much.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Since the OP mentioned applying for a LTCH, I'm going to assume personal defense is an anticipated use.

You should have a good reason not to get either a Glock 19 or the corresponding mid-size Smith and Wesson M&P. Both are reasonably priced, reliable, durable, have deep and broad aftermarket support, are large enough to not beat you up over a one or few day class, and are proven in hundreds of classes every year. You'll always have a use for a mid-size 9mm. If you decide you want something different after you're more experienced, easy to sell.

TLF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I agree with those who have suggested a good .22 handgun or rifle. Good way to get started shooting without heavy recoil getting in the way of fundamentals. And spending a day shooting at the range with any .22 firearm won't beat you up. Good luck.

GunsCarsPlanes

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2021
    NWI
    Depends on what your able to spend and what you want. You could always start with a 22 pistol or rifle but you'll quickly tire of them and want something you can carry. If I was in your shoes and was starting I'd get a full size or compact 9mm for concealed carry. NOT a subcompact.

You owe it to yourself to go rent some guns, 20 bucks for a hour and you get to exchange as many rentals as you'd like. You'd be surprised how much the smallest differences "feel" in the hand.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Close enough, but not historically accurate.
    April 19, *****1775*****- American Forces fire "the shot heard round the world" - Lexington & Concord. At this point a few Americans (colonists) have made a bold, a not entirely sure-to-work movement to establish a new country.

November 10, 1775 - Second Continental Congress establishes the Continental Marines. The original intent was as a landing/boarding force for Naval engagements. The 'colonies' had a well-organized, professional military force well before the United States of America existed. It remains, to this day, the best equipped, best military fighting force the world has ever known. I admit to being somewhat biased; my Dad was United States Marine... until he died... probably still is. On his last Memorial Day, I watched him stand at Attention while a Marine Corps Auxiliary band played "Taps". His hand was not on his heart, it was raised in a military salute; the only break in his bearing was the tears running down his face. This may only matter to US Marines, but it is huge to me: he served as part of the initial landing forces on Iwo Jima, Saipan, and Tinian. On 8/6/45, he was in Hawaii training for the invasion of Japan. Thank god for FDR and JR Oppenheimer.

July 4, 1776 - 12 of 13 colonies vote to approve the Declaration of Independence. New York abstained, having no instructions from Albany on the matter.

August 2, 1776 - Second Continental Congress officially signs the United States Declaration of Independence. At this point, a significant number of Americans believe it is quite possible to throw off the yoke of British Imperialism.

October 31, 1776 - King George III gives a speech in Parliament stating "it was necessary to prepare for another campaign (military)" in the colonies.

September 3, 1783 - Treaty of Paris is signed. Great Britain officially recognizes the United States of America as a free and independent country.

At no point in 1776 was it certain the United States of America would EVER exist. That was a battle yet to be won. What happened at Lexington and Concord is roughly equivalent to what happened at Fort Sumter, the first shots of a long, protracted, bloody war.

If you were British between 4/19/1774 and 9/3/1783, what existed on this continent were still officially British Colonies. If you lived on this continent, not so much.

Fixed it for you Lexington / concord was 1775 not 1774

Top Bottom