• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • michaeladkins

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Indy
    A friend invited me over to shoot today. He lives about 45 minutes away, so I took a half day off work to hang out. So I got there about 20 minutes before he did, so I set everything up and took about 4 shots. Now he lives out in the country where corn fields are more prominent than neighbors, but does have a couple neighbors around. I noticed after taking the fourth shot a woman was walking towards me. I was shooting towards fields so I knew I wasn't shooting her way.

I waved at the women to say hi and walked to her. We meet up and she says $100,000 horse just got away from me cause you were shooting. I apologized and said I was glad she didn't get hurt. She then said that she has a 70 year old woman coming to ride a horse at 4 and she would like me to stop shooting then. I looked at my phone and it was 3:40 and my friend was pulling in. I told her that I would move to the other side of the house as if to block some of the noise. She then walked off.

I told my buddy and he said she is always a pain and doesn't even own the house. He said screw her, lets shoot. His dad said, I'll be back, I'm going to get my AK. Haha. He didn't, he was just joking, but we did shoot for another hour. I did see someone riding a horse and it did not appear to be spooked. The last thing I would want is for someone to get hurt. The woman was respectful and had it been just me, I would not have shot anymore.

How would you have reacted to this situation?

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    That's kind of a tough one. I'd probably have offered to wait an hour to shoot that way they could ride for a bit. But, it sounds like your friend has to deal with her a lot, so he's probably tired of it lol.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Why is it always the shooter that's asked to stop. What would she have done had you gone over and said 'We are about to start shooting, so could you please stop riding for the next couple of hours?'. I'm guessing she would have told you to stuff it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you ride a horse, it is on you to control your animal.

You are shooting where permitted? You are shooting in observation of the Four Rules? If so, shoot away.

Ask your buddy's neighbor if she will sign a petition to move suppressors to Title I.:D

SmithGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    You did the right thing. Worst case if your friend had asked you to stop in order to let her ride, I would have done that because your friend has to deal with her on a continual basis.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'd have followed by buddy's lead, since its his land and his neighbors. He probably has a better understanding of the situation than I do.

If it were my house, I try to maintain good relations with my neighbors. If it was an occasional thing and they were similarly considerate to my requests, than I'd oblige them. If it was a constant thing or they were jackwagons, then I'd continue to bang away. Usually when my neighbor approaches me shooting he's coming down to join in, though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    70 year young woman riding a $100K thoroughbred, now I want to see pictures of that or it did not happen.

How many 100,000 horses are around this state. I am sure there are a few but really.

If you are a guest and told to keep on shooting....then keep on shooting.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I know our neighbor sells his for like 20 grand. What kind of horses do they have over there worth. 100k? If she was telling the truth then they can afford to buy a house without neighbors!

We have 6 horses and they are doing much better. Like INGO told me, keep shooting and they will get use to it.

Following your buddy was the right thing to do.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If you ride a horse, it is on you to control your animal.

You are shooting where permitted? You are shooting in observation of the Four Rules? If so, shoot away.

Ask your buddy's neighbor if she will sign a petition to move suppressors to Title I.:D

Your neighbors right to not hear your gun and be hit by your stray bullets trumps your right to shoot your guns.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    It's OK to be nice to folks, as long as it's a two way street, you catch more flies with honey as they say. But if they're just prone to whining and complaining all the time, that's another story.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I bought my house out in the country a little over 5 years ago, Partly to get my kids out of Fort Wayne, and partly so I'd have my own range. The first time I decide to do some shooting, my new neighbor, (2 doors, and 2 acres of woods down), comes walking up my drive, and says his wife sent him to ask us to quit, because we are scaring his hound dogs. (Some hound dogs huh?) So we wrap it up, and I let it go. For the next 3 years, every time I'd shoot, his wife would come down, bit**in up a storm, talking about this being an addition, and there is no shooting, blah blah blah. (It's a rural road, zoned agricultural, 5 miles outside of town) Up until this point, I had always been respectful, and polite. Then, one day, I'm out back, supervising my son shooting his single shot .22 cricket, and I see her walking up my drive, and she's bit**in before she's even within earshot, over all the racket from a .22, through 100 yards of woods! At this point, I'd had enough! I told her that she was trespassing, and that if she wanted to pay my mortgage, that I'd happily live by her rules, but until then, get the Hell off of my property! About a month later, We had like 8 friends with guns over for my wife's birthday, and we burned through easily $1000 worth of ammo!...Before the end of the summer, they moved to Florida! Problem solved!

Moral of this long story, is that you shouldn't feel bad. Your buddy may have been dealing with something similar for several years, and can in good conscience say screw her!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'd have followed by buddy's lead, since its his land and his neighbors. He probably has a better understanding of the situation than I do.

If it were my house, I try to maintain good relations with my neighbors. If it was an occasional thing and they were similarly considerate to my requests, than I'd oblige them. If it was a constant thing or they were jackwagons, then I'd continue to bang away. Usually when my neighbor approaches me shooting he's coming down to join in, though.

^^^ What he said.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Some horse owners are pricks that can't control their animal, and it's always "someone else's fault."

I run on trails that are also used by horses in southern indiana. 99% are cool people, but then there's the ones that are giant ass holes. Tell them to get bent, and keep on having a good day.

last time, one lady had the audacity to tell me that I "shouldn't run on the trails because horses could get spooked." (Note, I always walk around horses once I see them and say hello and am cordial to the riders. I do not run around horses). This was after I stopped about 20 yards in front of the lady to walk around.
    Needless to say I told her "these are public trails. If your horse can't handle being around people, you should ride elsewhere."

some people are just pricks.

Top Bottom