What would you do... Active shooter scenario...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • williepete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2014
    atlanta
    I am former U.S. army, and I believe that as such I would have to advance on the perp, and take him out. I would send my family to a safe location first.

Not it a chance, I am not a Leo and I damn sure won't leave my kids as orphans to play hero. If I have to take him out I will, go hunt for him ? Not a chance in hell...

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Perhaps of interest:

"FBI LE Bulletin: Active Shooter Events from 2000 to 2012″

The federal government defines an active shooter as “an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a
    confined and populated area, typically through the use of firearms.”[3] ... Incidents [used in this study] identified from these searches then were evaluated to see if they met the following criteria: The event had to involve one or more persons engaged in killing or attempting to kill multiple people in an area occupied by multiple unrelated individuals—at least one of the victims must be unrelated to the shooter.

A few points:- 104 events (includes Ft Hood)
    - 2/3s happened at business (40%) or schools (29%).
    - Median police response time was 3 minutes
    - Median response time for solo police officers was 2 minutes.
    - Of the five events with most casualties, police were on the scene in about 3 minutes
    - 49% of the events were over before police arrived on scene
    - Of those events that ended before police arrived:
    -- the attacker committed suicide 29 times
    -- left scene 5 times
    -- was subdued by civilians 14 times
    -- was shot by civilians 3 times.
    (-- No mention on how many of the scenes were “No guns” zones)
    - In 13 cases a single police officer intervened, shooting the attacker in 10 cases, subduing the attacker 2 times, and in 1 case the attacker committed suicide.
    - Attacker shot police in 8% of total events; for events resolved after police on scene, attacker shot police in 15% of them.

The stats seem consistent with other reports and studies I've seen that indicate active shooters often stop when faced with serious confrontation.

Also seems to me that if you are anywhere in the vicinity of an active shooter, fighting back beats hiding. I'm pretty sure most of the casualties in these events were either hiding or trying to get away within the reach of the active shooter. This would be consistent with many battles throughout history, where the vast majority of casualties came after the enemy broke and ran.

mcwulf30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    It's the nature of the beast. I know that if I have a drop on a purp.....I'm gonna take it if everything falls into place. Thing to always remember is that there may be an ODO there.....and he will more than likely let you know and the purp know if HE gets the drop. Then in that situation I'd call out seconds to back him up til fellow officers arrived......making sure that the ODO sees me and knows I'm there. I'd make sure that I wasnt in his LOF and vise versa.

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    My responsibility is to those I am responsible for at the time. Family first, then friends. Move away if possible, take cover if necessary, fight back when that is the only option. I am a pretty decent shot.. Not a marksman by any means and could use more target time.. But as the article above points out you are going to be responsible for your actions. One round down range in a mall or one through and through into a innocent you would have at the least attempted murder or aggravated assault charge. Not to mention the wrongful death suit filed by the bad guys family against you. You miss once and the worst case scenario is you spend 25 to life in Pendleton Correctional facility picking up the soap. Get out and let the professional handle the situation if you can. Just my :twocents: worth.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Only defend what you are willing to pay the attorney bills for. If you defend anyone else that you do not really love do you think that person you saved will pay your attorney bills? If so hahahahahahahahahhaha.

Civil suits can be real expensive, and take years off of your life.

Chuck

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    My responsibility is to those I am responsible for at the time. Family first, then friends. Move away if possible, take cover if necessary, fight back when that is the only option. I am a pretty decent shot.. Not a marksman by any means and could use more target time.. But as the article above points out you are going to be responsible for your actions. One round down range in a mall or one through and through into a innocent you would have at the least attempted murder or aggravated assault charge. Not to mention the wrongful death suit filed by the bad guys family against you. You miss once and the worst case scenario is you spend 25 to life in Pendleton Correctional facility picking up the soap. Get out and let the professional handle the situation if you can. Just my :twocents: worth.

Just as a heads up, maybe you should read IC. It states that if you use reasonable/deadly force when it is warranted, you will not be legal jeopardy of any kind. There is debate as to whether that include civil, but if you use a firearm to defend yourself and someone else is hit, would you still be charged when IC states you won't as long as you're defending yourself or a third party?

Top Bottom