• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    (Originally posted September 7, 2007, just re-read it and thought you guys would dig it.)

Sometimes, when I go on a rant about freedom -- the basic human right to be left alone as long as you aren't harming anyone -- I get puzzled looks and questions that indicate a severe lack of understanding.

"What freedoms have you lost?"

"What are you so upset about?"

"Aren't you just a rebel without a cause?"

And so forth. These things really tick me off, because it's an unconscionable indictment on our culture when people simply accept the chains as a given. What happened to the fiercely independent American? What happened to our love of freedom?

Recently, I was flipping through an old Guns magazine (September 1957 issue), and saw some stuff that really hit home. Ads in the back of the magazine offered every kind of gun for sale, through mail order, at rock-bottom prices. It's a perfect illustration of how much freedom we've lost in a mere fifty years:

gunad1.gif

gunad3.gif
    gunad2.gif

gunad4.gif

Check out that last one in particular. British Sten machine guns were sold through the freakin' mail for $12.95 ($92.79 in 2006 dollars) and at the time, our murder rate was lower than it is now. Now ask yourself if all this regulation is doing a damn bit of good.

And the sad thing is... I know fellow shooters who'll look at this and shrug as though it's no big loss.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Things we've lost.

Children being children.

Teachers teaching reading, writing and math

Freedom of speech (without worrying about getting your house fire-bombed)

Freedom of the REAL press.

Freedom to keep your personal information private.

Freedom from tyranical government.

The family unit.

Trust in our media.

Hope for the future.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Not to threadjack... but I will anyway.

What is the point of owning semi-auto versions of weapons mostly effective in 3-round burst or full auto? Other than the cool factor of owning something similar, I don't see the point. A 16" barreled MP5 clone that only shoots semi-auto is sort of a joke.

Yes, I know you can own dealer samples if you're a class III dealer or real guns made prior to 1986... I am poor white trash and can't afford to pay 15k for a gun that probably cost around 400 dollars to make. Probably less in 198x.

Is any organization fighting for our rights to be restored to us?

Top Bottom