• ...and so much more!
  • Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Starter rifle

I totally agree with the .22 caliber. And I agree that the 10-22 is a great gun and a great value. But, I would recommend a single shot or a bolt action to start with to become a good shot. :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    I would recommend a single shot or a bolt action to start with to become a good shot. :twocents:

Could you please explain how a single shot or a bolt action vs. a semi-auto has anything at all to do with accuracy or becoming a good shot?
    I would argue that a semi-auto makes it much easier to concentrate on the fundamentals of shooting rather than having to work a bolt or reload between each shot.

Original poster, I would recommend any of the semi-automatic .22 rifles that have a box magazine (not a tubular magazine).
    And I would strongly recommend attending an Appleseed shoot. It will put you on the right path to becoming an excellent marksman!

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    Bolt actions slow things down and forces the shooter to focus on one shot at a time and think about why that one shot missed th target. Semi Autos are just too easy to pull the trigger again and again and again untill he/she hit the target giving one a false sense of marksmanship. That aside, the Ruger 10-22 or Marlin M 60 are very good semi autos. Marlin make a super bolt action .22 as well.

Searching gun stores is half of the fun. Have fun and please let us know what rifle you buy.

Mike

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    Marlin Model 60. Best accuracy of all my .22s including my 10/22. This gun doesn't get the credit it deserves.

The M 60 Marlin is the best value IMO. Can be had used for next to nothing. The 10-22 has the edge if one wishes to mod & upgrade. Lots of after market 10-22 parts.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    Marlin Model 60. Best accuracy of all my .22s including my 10/22. This gun doesn't get the credit it deserves.

I've got an older Marlin Model 70 from 1989 (basically the model 60, but it has box magazines instead of the tubular), and it is my favorite .22LR.
    Shoots way better than my new 10/22.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    Bolt actions slow things down and forces the shooter to focus on one shot at a time and think about why that one shot missed th target. Semi Autos are just too easy to pull the trigger again and again and again untill he/she hit the target giving one a false sense of marksmanship.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread or anything, but I just don't understand this line of thinking. It's just plain wrong.
    Hitting your target has nothing at all to do with what kind of action your rifle uses.
    A beginner is MUCH better off using a semi-auto. That way, they don't have to worry about working the bolt between each shot and distrupting their sight picture. They are able to concentrate on the things that make the shot.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    How much do you want to spend? The 10/22 is certainly a popular rifle for good reason. If you don't mind spending more money, the S&W M&P 15-22 is a fun rifle.

Top Bottom