• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    You've decided on a caliber. That's an approach I often suggest to folks, since the bullet is the weapon that acts on the target, not the launch platform. Pick the caliber based on the job you want to do.

However, I'm curious, how did you decide/what was the thought process in selecting the capacity?

Eh, just mostly what was available in the caliber within the weight restrictions, from what I found in single stack you're going to get 6 or 7 and that depends on the size of the weapon and if its an extended or standard magazine. I guess posting capacity was pointless but I would have preferred having 7, but I want to stay with 9mm and keep the gun as easy to conceal as possible. I guess when it came down to it I was comparing say Kel Tec's standard 7 round PF-9 mag to the kahr pm/cm9 standard mag of 6, while still being lighter and yet there's the MP Shield with a standard 7 round mag or an extended 8 round mag and its heavier.

So after weighing everything in...I feel like the CM9 is a good compromise. Who knows, I may buy it, hate it, sell it, and start over. I'll let you know!

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Looking back on this choice, you would be doing yourself a disservice to not at least pick up and fondle a Beretta PX4 Storm Sub Compact. I've had one for 4 months now and will never look at another. With 15 rnd mag and spacer

Seems like a nice EDC, but what I'm really looking for is a "pocket" 9mm or an easily concealed 9mm. As I mentioned width was a big issue to me and the storm weighs in at 1.4" at its maximum width compared to some of my choices @ less than .9" Its a big difference, especially if I'm trying to carry inside the waist. Everything shows on me..haha thanks though!

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Seems like a nice EDC, but what I'm really looking for is a "pocket" 9mm or an easily concealed 9mm. As I mentioned width was a big issue to me and the storm weighs in at 1.4" at its maximum width compared to some of my choices @ less than .9" Its a big difference, especially if I'm trying to carry inside the waist. Everything shows on me..haha thanks though!

See! Now that's the difference ! I could CC a Yugo !

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Eh, just mostly what was available in the caliber within the weight restrictions, from what I found in single stack you're going to get 6 or 7 and that depends on the size of the weapon and if its an extended or standard magazine. I guess posting capacity was pointless but I would have preferred having 7, but I want to stay with 9mm and keep the gun as easy to conceal as possible. I guess when it came down to it I was comparing say Kel Tec's standard 7 round PF-9 mag to the kahr pm/cm9 standard mag of 6, while still being lighter and yet there's the MP Shield with a standard 7 round mag or an extended 8 round mag and its heavier.

So after weighing everything in...I feel like the CM9 is a good compromise. Who knows, I may buy it, hate it, sell it, and start over. I'll let you know!

I see, so it flowed from the weight. That's legitimate if weight is a primary factor for you.

Capacity is an important consideration, though. I mean, you're carrying a gun for the "boolits," right? Not much point in carrying a gun with a capacity of 0, for example.

We have spirited discussions on INGO, from time to time, on how much is "enough" when it comes to carry. Lots of factors play into this including an individual's perception of risk, their risk tolerance, what they're willing to carry, how they dress, etc.

I tend to favor 8 rnds as a minimum for a primary carry gun (or 7+1), because from what I understand, if I ever really get into a gun fight situation, there's maybe a 50% chance I'll need 8 rnds. Take a look at this article:

John Farnam - Enough Ammunition

This isn't an absolute-all-or-nothing sort of issue, and people have their own reasons for carrying different things, but it is an interesting article and something to think about.

Good luck figuring it all out.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Just my two cents as I am fairly new to the forum. I'm exceptionally short (5"4" and 135 lbs), so finding something that was easily concealable was a challenge in its own right, as well as and more important finding something that was reliable, decent capacity, and lightweight to be able to carry for extended periods of time. My first handgun was a gen 4 g19. With the exception of wearing a sweatshirt or jacket, I could not conceal it for the life of me. I absolutely love the g19 (reliability/trigger/capacity), but will only carry it in the winter months with a baggy sweatshirt. I was introduced to the Ruger for it's slimmer design and unserstood the tradeoff of single stack firearms. I could not get over the long trigger pull of the LC9. Was later introduced to the M&P Shield and instantly fell in love. Good shooter, reliable. I just didn't care for the external safety. I actually had to kydex holsters that would dis-engage/engage the safety while being holstered and shifting around (I sent them back and had them fixed). I ended up picking up the XDS9 and haven't looked back. Yes, the recall does raise some questions, but I did put 1000 rounds through it as I believe a carry gun should be trained with extensively, even if just at the range. I have no doubt that after I receive it back, it will be 100% reliable again. I carry in a IWB kydex holster at 4 o'clock and have no issues with printing even in a t-shirt, capacity is on par with other single stack 9's at 7+1, trigger is good, and in my humble opinion, I think it is the best looking gun out of them all.

I believe price should be the absolute last consideration when choosing something you expect to protect yourself and others with.

Good luck with your decision!

MacEoghan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2013
    Franklin
    I have the S&W M&P9 shield. I think its a great carry gun. Just under an inch thick, surprisingly accurate. Mines a 9mm, but there is a 40 as well. I have not had a single issue with mine yet. I have been very pleased with it and quite a few people have been trying to get me to sell it and trade it. Its definitely worth considering. I also saw that it now comes I two tone as well if you prefer that look. :)

dunningben

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Bremen, IN
    Think about a Glock 19 or 26, even used, they will still last a lifetime. They might be a little bit heaver then what you're looking for but its worth it. Also don't forget about the holster. most people forget about that and even if you don't get a Glock a Fobus holster is what I'd recommend.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Of the ones you have on your list, make sure the Kel-Tec is one at the very end of the list.
    If money is an issue, look at anything in the Bersa line.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    View attachment 24377

First day @ the range w/ the CM9. Shot about 50 PMC Bronze and 50 Federal American Eagle Flawlessly. I'd have to say I'm very pleased with my choice as this is my first 9mm as well as my first 9mm for CC.

Went to INDY TRADING POST.

Last edited:

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Its been said a 100 times but I vote for the Glock 26. You can't go wrong with it and you can sell it in a second if you don't like it.

Borock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have a Nano and in my IWB holster, I don't feel it at all. All day carry with no problems. It does feel a little head heavy without a full mag but it feels fine to me. Performance/accuracy at the range has been good.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Have you ever fired one of thes uber lightweight plastic fantastic pocket guns? You might want to shoot a few before you narrow your choices too much. Many people find them to be a poor choice.

cl4p-tp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Kokomo
    Damn...You people are bad for my wallet. I just looked up this CGW and read some reviews and am convinced I need to send my P-01 to him now

Sigh...

ETA: this was supposed to go in the CZ Dreaming thread, don't know how it got here. Sorry.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom