• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    So, now that the warmer weather is quickly approaching, I'm looking for something a little smaller than my Sig SP2022's to carry on a daily basis. I've been thinking about:

Walther PPS
    Sig P938
    Springfield XDS
    S & W Shield
    Beretta Nano

I saw the new Remington R51 at the NRA convention and was disappointed with it. I'm not interested in Kahrs, just don't like the way they feel. Glocks aren't an option because they don't have a single stack 9mm. The Ruger SR9C or LC9 may be other options as well. Any other suggestions?

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I own a shield and I'm a little biased -- but I was asking this same question 1 yr ago. For me the shield was the best option considering price (shop around, you can find them for under $375 on a sale)
    -I'd only consider the P938 if you love the 1911 Manual of arms
    -If you're considering the PPS (I certainly was) I'd urge you to wait until you can check out Walther's CCP, which may replace/displace the PPS.
    -Nano felt a little more blocky than I liked, even though it's about identical to the Shield in almost all dimensions (just not as rounded, felt awkward)
    -Some people don't trust the XDS, I don't have any experience with them either way. (gripes abound about the grip safety, and QC, considering they did a recall, yadda yadda yadda)

In the end, they're all much more similar than they are different. If I were to do it again, I'd get the shield again, without a doubt. If I had to get something else, I'd get a 5 shot revolver (J frame smith or Ruger LCR)

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Glock 26 is really not too bad. I have all the guns you mentioned but the PPS. I like to carry the shield also. I don't have a holster for the 938 but I am going to get one. I don't like the holster I have for the nano. I have the XDS in 9 and 45 and again don't care for the holsters.

I carry OWB. To me it's how well I shoot with it then how the holster feels. I shoot the best with the 938.

Good do luck and let us know what you end up with.

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I have owned or own now A Shield, XDs 9 and 45acp, PPS and NANO. Nano had a different trigger, that I did not like.PPS costs more , but the best of them all IMO. I carry my XDs/Shields. Great pistols. Plus 938 is SA, with cocked/locked . Good luck. I think any, but the SR9c would be perfect-SR9c double stack-heavier.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    No problems trusting my XDs - never a hiccup either before or after the recall. To me, the only issue is capacity vs. something like a G26.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Boy, for an inexpensive carry piece that's IMO very accurate, and easy to carry, I'd definitely recommend checking out the SR9C. Once I got the rear sight and windage adjusted to my liking, it's a bulls-eye machine... very very easy to shoot and maintain. I'm a big fan of the trigger too. Without any modifications or polishing, it may be the best striker-fired trigger I have.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I have a PF9 that I carry most in the summer, but also sometimes a S&W CS9 or G36. I fondled the S&W shields at the NRA show a lot and am seriously thinking about either the 9 or.40. A buddy has the LC9 and really likes it.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Thanks everyone. I guess I just need to shoot each of them and see which one feels the best. As for the Kahr's, yeah, I picked up several of them at the NRA exhibit but didn't care for the way they felt in my hand.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Don't know why Glock is out for you ? I love my G 23 Gen 4 is my main carry gun... Not to big not to small, just right for me... But Im a bigger guy 6'2" 225-230lb.. But you did say you wanted a single stack, so I would understand that.. Good luck and shoot'm till you find whats right for you..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My lightweight carry is a Taurus PT111 Millenium G2. It's a double stack 9 (12+1), but is still plenty lightweight and has the benefit of adjustable sights.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Don't know why Glock is out for you ? I love my G 23 Gen 4 is my main carry gun... Not to big not to small, just right for me... But Im a bigger guy 6'2" 225-230lb.. But you did say you wanted a single stack, so I would understand that.. Good luck and shoot'm till you find whats right for you..

I'm sure they're fine guns. I've handled several Glocks, both Gen 3 & 4, and just don't like the way they feel in my hand.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I carry a midsized/compact glock all year.

Its a case of not as small as youd like, but small enough, in the summer, and not as big as you could do, but big enough, in the winter. Mines a 23, but the 19 would serve you just as well.

Top Bottom