• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I just hand them my drivers license and gun permit. That way there are no surprises for either of us.

If an officer has a legitimate need to disarm you, its best you offer to let them remove the gun from you. If you did it yourself a second officer or video camera could take it the wrong way.
    You should look around the forum some more. There have been many instances where voluntarily informing has not worked out well for people.

For my part, if asked I will not lie. If not asked, I am not saying a word.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Be polite, be professional, always take the high road. Ask them where they get their "crime scene" tape. Seriously, I'm planning a prank.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So . . . what do you do if your windows don't work? Some LEOs don't like it if you open the door or get out before they talk to you.

packard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    So . . . what do you do if your windows don't work? Some LEOs don't like it if you open the door or get out before they talk to you.

Happened to me once. Window was froze. Opened door slightly and put both hands outside so the officer could see I was unarmed. Followed my hands outside and informed the officer that the window was frozen. Gave me a verbal warning about my speeding.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    As KUT said, "We should Stress Indiana" , Ohio & Michigan can get real Sh!++y if they find out you have a handgun and you don't immediately inform them.

hdrenollet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    South Indy/Greenwood
    I've been pulled over 3 times while carrying, and never informed nor asked. I also don't keep my gun in the glove box or near my wallet while driving. If I had a gun in the glove box with the registration, I would definitely inform first before reaching for it. No need to set off any unnecessary alarms.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    You should never open the door prior to the officer telling you to do so; this is a major safety risk for the officer; if he approaches and the window isn't working, that will be obvious and he will then likely tell you to open the door, which is then fine. After you open it, just keep your hands on the steering wheel and all is well.

Hand control is key for an officer as that is what can kill. As far as their being a weapon in the glove box (why are you keeping a gun in the glove box!?) with the registration, that's probably a good thing to let him/her know as you are reaching right into that area.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I always say, "Officer, before I hand over my license and registration, do you have any guns or drugs or anything else on you I need to know about?"

It's always worked so far.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I've treated it like any other time I've been pulled over before I started carrying. "Yes, sir. No, sir", just be polite. I've not informed and not had any issues.

Hjarnett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Denver,in
    So I will just keep doing what I have always done treat the officer the way you want to be treated with respect. I just didn't know if it was required to inform him or her if you was carrying but after reading these post I think it will save a lot of time and headache to just hand over the ltch with my drivers license

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    It`s not a mandate in Indiana, so, it`s not their business. Once I had an officer ask, and all I stated was, I`m not obligated to answer that. He didn`t like it, but oh well.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Negative. It comes up when they run your license.

I can't speak for all agencies, but at mine, running the plate will reveal if the registered owner has a LTCH. However, there are so many expired LTCHs in the system, I doubt officers check it with any regularity.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It`s not a mandate in Indiana, so, it`s not their business. Once I had an officer ask, and all I stated was, I`m not obligated to answer that. He didn`t like it, but oh well.

My response would be the lawful order to step out of the vehicle as, for me personally, I wouldn't ask unless I think there may be a problem.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Ordering a citizen out of their vehicle is only lawful if you have reason to believe a crime has been committed. Since I`m not obligated to inform that I am carrying, that would not be a lawful order.

My response would be the lawful order to step out of the vehicle as, for me personally, I wouldn't ask unless I think there may be a problem.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ordering a citizen out of their vehicle is only lawful if you have reason to believe a crime has been committed. Since I`m not obligated to inform that I am carrying, that would not be a lawful order.

You would be wrong.

Top Bottom