• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher Durden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Noblesville
    It seems to be that time! Time to get my first long rifle!! I will be using this rifle to continue my long rifle shooting education and begin long range competition. My intent is target and competition shooting. I have never been hunting before and while i do have an interest, that is not the purpose for this purchase.

My budget is flexible but I NEED to stay under $1,000 for the rifle. $600 would be more comfortable. The figures listed about are for rifle only, not rifle AND glass. The glass is a separate budget.

I am currently leaning towards a .308 but still seeking advice and information. I have done a fair amount of my own research on calibers but I would like to hear from the people that I would most likely be shooting with or around (MY shooting community).

I am also looking for suggestions on specific rifle models. I love my Savage Arms Mk II TR and would be ok with another Savage, but I know that there are dozens of rifle makers and I don't want to limit myself to the first manufacturer that I found.

Thanks for any and all help!!

P.S. I am looking for a place to shoot this rifle at distance around indianapolis. I don't mind driving, I just want to be able to reach out past 100 yards, maybe 500 or more.

davidc912

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    South of Indy
    Of course, Remington 700 is the classic, and you can't go wrong with it. Don't overlook Savage's offerings too though. I have the 10FP-LE1A. Accutrigger on it set at 1.5# and it's a thing of beauty.

There's also a surprising amount of aftermarket accessories for the 10s.

I wasn't even looking for a rifle at the time. I was over at Bobs looking for a shotgun and after I saw it, I knew it was a done deal. A few things I'd make sure I had and didn't just luck into on the next one:

Floated bull barrel. Pillar or block bedded. Crisp little trigger. Detachable box mag.

Mine has everything but the mag. I don't fire strings of 10 at a time, so I'm not missing it, but it would be nice to be able to slap another mag in and not have to top load my 4 +1... and I never load the +1.

.308win is hands down my favorite round ever. I love most all ammo, but there's something special about 308s for me. There's some really great boxed match ammo available. I'm partial to Feds GMM 168gr. BTHP. It clocks out of my savage at just under 2700fps, and it's extremely consistent.

That said. I would talk to some actual competition guys before I picked a gun since that is your ultimate goal. Competitive shooters tend to quickly weed through what does and doesn't work and are always trying to find the best gear. They'll know what wins, what loses, and have lots of stories about all of the stuff in the middle.

S7302705.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Carmelites, I tell ya. I picked up a "pre owned" Mossberg 100 in .308, and a Winchester 70 in 7mm Win Mag over at Gander in Castleton for less than $400 each, both with glass, although not necessarily glass I would settle for. Couldn't tell either had ever been fired, and I still have to zero them both with the scopes I have on them. Don't discount "used", as you can get some real deals, even at Gander. .308 is a good choice; there's a lot of 7.62x51 surplus out there. 7mm, not so much, but I hope to make that my AT&T rifle (reach out and touch someone).

xtremegunnr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Go with a remington if you plan on making some changes to it in the future otherwise a savage is a fine choice for out of the box accuracy. Dont try and modify it later though, they are not worth the trouble.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    From what I have researched so far. The best place to start, for that money, is a Remington 700 ???. To find one with a Heavy Profile (thick) barrel and the stock free floated and aluminum core like the R5 is around $1000 but you can get cheaper model for $600-$700.

Like I just got the Rem 700 SPS which has a thin barrel and non-freefloat polymer stock. This will get me started because the Rem 700 "action" is what I was really looking for anyway. Then as I progress and save up money I can get a better stock and barrel.

Someone just showed me this youtube video series that is a must watch for anyone just getting into competition shooting of this type. Gives you a great place to start and the kind of stuff to think about.
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCD31A83F7643E23C

Also if you don't already have a place to shoot Bass and Bucks in Wabash, IN has a 750 yard range. There is a 1000 yard range at the northern border of IN but I can't remember the name right now.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    Where, what distances and comp class do you shoot SaintsNSinners? Still trying to figure out what is available.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    700after.jpg

The Remington 700 SPS Varmint has the heavy barrel and is a great place to start on a long range rifle project. You can find these new from $600 - $700. Don't make a huge mistake and short-change yourself on the optics if you plan to use this for long range shooting or competition. You should plan on spending at least as much as the cost of the rifle for the scope. You will need a scope that has good tracking (the ability to dial in windage and elevation adjustments) and returns to zero consistently.

I prefer the .308 for distances out to 1,000 yards. I shoot up at Young's Longshot Range: Youngs Long Shot Range where they have steel plates and backstops for paper all they way out to 1,000 yards. A lot of the guys up there shooting 1,000 yards shoot the .308s, but 6mm and .243 do a fine job as well.

The great thing about the Rem 700 platform is the availability of parts and components to customize and improve the accuracy of the weapon. My first project would be to replace the factory trigger with a Jewel trigger set to around 1 lb. pull. When you get some funds, replace the factory stock with a good chassis system. The Accuracy International 1.5 chassis system is a good choice and doesn't require any bedding or glass work. An Atlas bi-pod or a Harris bi-pod are nice additions as well.

Last edited:

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    Nice, Looks like Youngs is membership only? the website is not very clear on that or what membership fees would be. Would be tough for me to spend much because I could not get that far up north but 2-3 times a year I am thinking.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    It seems to be that time! Time to get my first long rifle!! I will be using this rifle to continue my long rifle shooting education and begin long range competition. My intent is target and competition shooting. I have never been hunting before and while i do have an interest, that is not the purpose for this purchase.

My budget is flexible but I NEED to stay under $1,000 for the rifle. $600 would be more comfortable. The figures listed about are for rifle only, not rifle AND glass. The glass is a separate budget.

I am currently leaning towards a .308 but still seeking advice and information. I have done a fair amount of my own research on calibers but I would like to hear from the people that I would most likely be shooting with or around (MY shooting community).

I am also looking for suggestions on specific rifle models. I love my Savage Arms Mk II TR and would be ok with another Savage, but I know that there are dozens of rifle makers and I don't want to limit myself to the first manufacturer that I found.

Thanks for any and all help!!

P.S. I am looking for a place to shoot this rifle at distance around indianapolis. I don't mind driving, I just want to be able to reach out past 100 yards, maybe 500 or more.
    There are many rifles to choose from considering your price range. As far as the caliber goes, the .308 Winchester would be a great choice. Lots of reloading capability with that round and it is everywhere with many factory loadings. Oh, and the power factor is just fine for most anything here in North America, within reason.:twocents:

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Go with a remington if you plan on making some changes to it in the future otherwise a savage is a fine choice for out of the box accuracy. Dont try and modify it later though, they are not worth the trouble.

Ridiculous comment.

The beauty of Savages is you don't need to spend hundreds of dollars at a gunsmith to change bolt heads and barrels; you can do it yourself in a matter of minutes with a very minimal investment in tools.

But here's my long action Savage 110 in 223AI that I built myself (still needs Cerakote):
    IMG_1363.jpg

For the OP: Remington 700 Tactical or Savage 10FP-SR...or maybe the Savage 11 Hog Hunter if you plan on immediately replacing the stock (which I'd recommend)

Get a Weaver Extended Multi-Slot 20MOA base (Amazon.com), the appropriately sized Burris XTR low rings for your optic choice, a bunch of 175gr Federal Gold Metal Match or Southwest Ammo loads, and go have fun.

For optics, you've probably already got something in mind I personally own a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40 and Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 (both MidwayUSA exclusives) and recommend them highly in the sub <$500 range.

Top Bottom