• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    anyone on the boards a cigar smoker/aficionado? if so, what are you currently smoking? anything interesting lately?

personally, i've been really enjoying Cusano 18 Double Connecticuts (robusto) and Montecristo Serie C's.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    4 very recent smokes
    Cohiba Corona Especiale
    Padrone 4000 Natural
    Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Churchill
    Gurkha Triple Ligero
    Last week I might have smoked a real Bolivar, but as it is illegal to possess real Cubans I think I might be mistaken that I actually smoked it?

VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    i'm pretty sure it's only illegal to IMPORT cubans....not 100% on that tho...

how was that Gurkha? i still want to try one of the Gurkha His Majesty's Reserves, but i dont think i will ever have that much disposable $ to **** away for a smoke....

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    how was that Gurkha?
    Gurkha makes some very nice cigars. Not sure that all of them are worth the cost. In fact I think that the Gurkhas over $15 are over priced. I've tried several of their cigars most are good, but you may notice that most are also absent from having high ratings by the cigar magazines. Not that they are the only way to judge a cigar, but they do offer a somewhat definable standard.

The Triple Ligero is a good cigar, the wrapper is a piece of tobacco artwork. Pitch black, very oily, elastic and very smooth with no thick veining or flaws. Its got one of the nicest maduro wrappers I've ever had the pleasure of smoking.

The Torano Exodus 1959 is a better cigar. Ranked in the top 5 cigars ever by one of the magazines. I can understand why. Its also less expensive than many of the Gurkhas.

Have you tried any of the Rocky Patel Old World Reserves? Or the CAO Anniversary Cameroons? Both are nice smokes, I've got some of the CAOs in a corona size, great flavor, great smoke, especially when you don't have an hour to sit and smoke. The RP Old World Reserves I have are Pyramids, but short in length, about a 5x50. Also a nice smooth smoke.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I'm a pretty light smoker, but i have to recommend Stogies on Columbia in downtown lafayette. Check it out. Tons of pipes, pipe tobacco, and cigars. If only i could convince them to carry guns and some alcohol, it'd be heaven.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I quit ciggs 6 years ago.... But find a good cigar sweet and relaxing on rare occasions. But it has to be like a $5+ stogie..... none of that 68 cent ghetto cigars.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I've been hooked on the little Prime Time things. Cinnimon is my poison. They're cheap by the pack. Like 2 bucks. I don't really smoke cigars, just cigarillos from time to time. I was big on Black and Milds but I would strip the "Cancer Paper" out of the inside. A lot of work to smoke one but they taste much better. Currently I roll my own smokes and save TONS. I use ZIG ZAG.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    It is illegal to import, possess, consume Cuban cigars. It is even illegal for a US citizen to smoke a Cuban cigar while out of the country. This would probably be difficult to enforce though.

My main smoke is a LaFinca (Nicaraguan). I have a box of Hoyo de Monterreys and a partial box of H. Uppmans in the humidor right now in addition to the LaFincas. I still have some Flor de Baloneys also which are surprisingly good cigars from JR Cigar.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    well...not right this minute, but maybe this weekend...

Some brisket and baby back ribs :): :rockwoot:

edit: and some BACON!!!

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I have a box of Hoyo de Monterreys ...
    I recently picked up a bunch of boxes of Hoyo de Monterrey, one is their Grand Sumatra in a Chuchill and the other is their EMS Governor, got a third variety, can't recall its size. Haven't tried them yet. They are on my short list of new cigars to try, everyone seems to rave about them but I've not had time to break open a box and relax with one of them.

*** Disclaimer, after taking early retirement I opened up a small cigar/cigarette store in Merrillville, IN called the PIT STOP SMOKE SHOP. I now have a store in Valparaiso and another in St John. The stores a small holes in the walls, but each has a couple 4' wide by 8' tall humidors stocked. I plan to open a smoking lounge/cigar store in Schererville before the end of the year with a flat panel TV, game table, and comfy seating (if the town will let me). So while I smoke cigars because I enjoy them, I turned my cigar smoking into a new post-retirement career (now if I could figure out how to make money at it it would be great, it might require work and I don't actually do that anymore so ...).​

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I'm a bit of a cigar wh*re and will smoke just about anything. I like Punch, Cohibas, Acids, even the cheapo A.F. Curly Heads on occasion. A bit of whisky/scotch and a cigar around the bonfire with my friends. Color me happy. :)

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    For my birthday last week I got some of my favorites.

~ Box of Fuente Short Story's
    ~ Box of Cuesta Rey Centro Fino Cortez's
    ~ Handful of Rocky Patel assorteds. 1 old world reserve, 1 vintage 1990, 1 edge lite, 1 10th anniversary.
    ~ and 1 Opus X Perfection A

I've been on a Punch Champion kick lately too. Also had several Perdomo Cabinet selections lately that were very nice. As soon as I can find a box of CAO Criollo it shall be in my humidor. As well as a box of RP vintage 1999, which is my all time favorite cigar ever.

If anyone wants to do an Open Carry/Cigar venture, put the word out. I know a great shop in Michigan City where a fellow shooter works and I am certain they would be glad to have us.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I have worked in Tobacco for over 6 years, smoked for roughly 8. I have been there and smoked that (up to roughly a box of cubans smoked and can spot them VERY easily now :) ). I hate to be a pompous ass, but this is one thing I know and have a passion for (I like guns, but mostly as a hobby).

Recent smokes (this week):
    Relaxed with a nice vanilla cavendish from Dunhill last night after the gym (I am a pipe smoker too).
    Monday, a very simple Olivia O series I had cooking for roughly 3 years (well worth the wait).
    Tuesday was a light burley I recieved from a friend I had aged for 3 years in a wonderful cognac (once again, well worth the wait).
    Last week, I enjoyed a Rigoletto Black Arrow that was (literally) older than I was by about 2x. Properly taken care of, it was a magic smoke. Very dark, husky, like a German woman but not as dour :D.

Things I have learned:
    Brand is nothing
    If one knows what they are doing, infusion is an easy, but long process
    If one knows what they are doing, a cigar is more than a status symbol
    If one knows what they are doing, aging a cigar is an easy, but long process.

I know guns a little, but my cigar knowledge is on a level along with Doug Koenig and revolvers (very intimate).

Incidentally, Epsylum, when are we going to have a smoke sometime, my treat! :) I do mean this in all seriousness!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Have you tried any of the Rocky Patel Old World Reserves? Or the CAO Anniversary Cameroons? Both are nice smokes, I've got some of the CAOs in a corona size, great flavor, great smoke, especially when you don't have an hour to sit and smoke. The RP Old World Reserves I have are Pyramids, but short in length, about a 5x50. Also a nice smooth smoke.

We had those in a shop I used to work at. Quarter of the box gone as we ran an introductory sale on the RP. Witghin three hours, 5 boxes gone and backorder list about 3 pages long. Not a fan myself, but damned good smoke if people like em that much :D.

I am a cameroon fanatic. I dislike most of the new world grown (cameroon seed) wraps, but the CAO and Hemmingways are great. Unfortunately, I have taken from the newer Hemmingways as they have become lacking in an already low oil content; I'm guessing demand is diminishing the quality a little. CAO has never disappointed me, with the exception of their "Soprano" series. Great marketing idea for wanna-be goombas, but terrible smoke, very dry, acridic for a very dark maduro/oily wrapper.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Hoyos and Punch are my two brands of choice, solid, good value, not pretentious and flavorful. I like La Gloria Cubanos a little more but they got trendy and the prices got unreasonable.

Top Bottom