What should I do with some red (aromatic) cedar?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    1 log is large enough to mill, the other 3 aren't. I think I may have another one large enough to mill but its going to take some work to get it out of the woods.

I don't know that I have any projects in mind to use it... but I'm not sure it's worth paying to have it milled just for a log or two.

I think the 3 that aren't worth milling may become fence-posts or something...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Was at a friends house in Crawford county who made a nice counter top out of red cedar.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1 log is large enough to mill, the other 3 aren't. I think I may have another one large enough to mill but its going to take some work to get it out of the woods.

I don't know that I have any projects in mind to use it... but I'm not sure it's worth paying to have it milled just for a log or two.

I think the 3 that aren't worth milling may become fence-posts or something...

How many board feet could you get out of the ones from the mill.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Would it be a travesty to use if for an outdoor, screened porch? It's in need of new screen and some fixing up, cedar might finish it off nicely but I have a feeling it would possibly be a waste of aromatic cedar...

I have no interest and a lack of the proper tools to build a chest etc.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    about 75 bft......i have a portable mill...27" x 20' cut ....you have a way to get it on the carriage?......

I do have a way to get it on the carriage. What do you charge per bft? My neighbor has offered to take any logs I want milled to his brother who has a mill. Not sure what he charges (or if he would even charge).

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    There you go. Mill it and use it.

Use it for what? That's what I'm asking... I don't really do wood-work. I can make miter cuts and screw/nail things together, sander, planer, router but outside of that I prefer to work with metal. I don't really do joints and such that you would usually see on furniture.

If I want the old-school circular saw look I live just a few miles from a guy that runs a circular mill (just found that out this weekend).

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Slab it and stack it in the closet.

Instant giant cedar chest. When it's dry, call me and I'll come take it ofF your hands for FREE!

Seriously, I love the smell and am in the process of building a chest for CD/ movie storage. Cedar is probably bad for both of those but I do have a closet that I could line with it. You might too.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd line all the closets with it. Very nice touch and could only guess it would increase the value of your house if you ever sell.

Dunno if moths or bugs are the issue in the modern day, but it's nice to smell cedar when the closet door is opened vs smelling shoes.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I do have a way to get it on the carriage. What do you charge per bft? My neighbor has offered to take any logs I want milled to his brother who has a mill. Not sure what he charges (or if he would even charge).

if i would have to bring to you for that few of board i would have to charge you ........you bring it to me and a box or 2 of 22lrs and the saw dust would fly....:)

Top Bottom