WHAT?? never use a bore brush on a 22 pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • himant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    I just hapened to have some free time and came across a post ( on another site) that said to NEVER run a brush down the barrel of a 22 cal pistol.. they say it will ruin the accurcy by taking the rifling out of the bore...now that sent chills down my back, as im a "clean nut" and always try to do the right thing.. I cant figure out how the soft brass brush would hurt a steel bore, but many claim it took away their tight grooping.***any comments on how to properly get the lead out?? thanks in advance for any info,,

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I am no expert but I do have a small amount of common sense. A .22 is not much smaller than a .223 in diameter and you do not hear anyone making such claims.

Also, if it would effect accuracy in one gun it would do it to them all regardless of caliber.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This may be sound advice if you have a die cast barrel from Indonesia, but not with a quality steel or stainless steel barrel.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    IIRC a lot of people that compete with their .22 will shoot a couple hundred rounds AFTER cleaning just to build up some fowling. I wonder if that is it?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm on the side of no brass bore brush through the barrels of my match .22 pistols and rifles. I don't used copper washed ammo in those guns, just lead. I do use a bore brush to clean the chamber. I use a pull through, made from line trimmer, to run soaked patches and dry patches through the barrel. I've done a bit of machine rest testing of target pistols over the years and never saw accuracy diminished by not using a metal bore brush.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Rub brass on steel long enough and will eventually scratch it.... Scratches lead to sloppy tolerances...

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Is that why rod and main bearings wear out, the brass scratching the steel? :dunno:

:popcorn:

Bearings generally wear out due to work hardening and deformation...

Also, I should mention that brass brushes, no matter how much you clean them will always have carbon built up on them... Carbon is capable of scratching everything :)

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Let water drip on it long enough and it will wear it out as well.

So, are some of you saying we should never use brass brushes to clean the bores on any of our guns?

You can use them. I use them when I can't get something clean with a cotton swatch+cleaner... But don't go nuts with them... You should only have to run the brush through a couple of times to clear any leading, if you have to do it more than that, you either need to clean your barrels more often, or you need to let is soak for a bit...

Also, I prefer using a bore snake...

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You can use them. I use them when I can't get something clean with a cotton swatch+cleaner... But don't go nuts with them... You should only have to run the brush through a couple of times to clear any leading, if you have to do it more than that, you either need to clean your barrels more often, or you need to let is soak for a bit...

Also, I prefer using a bore snake...

I only run a brush thru in and out maybe twice after it has been lathered up with a cleaner.

I do not think that brush will do anymore damage to the bore then the 500 rounds I sent thru it in an afternoon :dunno:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I only run a brush thru in and out maybe twice after it has been lathered up with a cleaner.

I do not think that brush will do anymore damage to the bore then the 500 rounds I sent thru it in an afternoon :dunno:

I've heard of people going crazy and running it through there 30-40 times every time they clean their boar... Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me they tried to hook it up to a power drill....

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    As long as you don't clean it from the muzzle end , and for most handguns that would mean using a bore snake or similar , you should be fine.

himant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    OK, great replies and thanks for that, but now im REALLY feeling liks a dummy,,Ive been told solid lead bullets will "foul" the bore, and have been instructed to alwys use the copper plated bullets to prevent the lead fouling. I try to only use good ammo,CCI or federal, but always copper plated*** so am I wrong on this also ?? I believe a good gun deserves good quality ammo....

Top Bottom