• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Some of you guys are nailing it. This dead beat drives a Lincoln SUV and his wife has a Mercedes. He's also in the process of opening a second location, but can't afford to pay me. I told him we're not a bank. He needs to pay us for what he bought.

One other thing that burns me up is he has crosses on both vehicles and plays Christian music in his business. He's just putting up a front, and in my opinion, one of the most despicable ways possible.

Don't get me started on religion as a front for power, control and money. That's ban hammer territory and I'm holding out till my 10,000th post!:rockwoot:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The "religious" will be the first to **** you! I take it you work for a food distribution company, as I know of no other industry dumb enough to extend credit on a consumable item?(ok that's not true, but I've never figured it out?)

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Some of you guys are nailing it. This dead beat drives a Lincoln SUV and his wife has a Mercedes. He's also in the process of opening a second location, but can't afford to pay me. I told him we're not a bank. He needs to pay us for what he bought.

One other thing that burns me up is he has crosses on both vehicles and plays Christian music in his business. He's just putting up a front, and in my opinion, one of the most despicable ways possible.

When I worked at Napa we had a few customers like this. Some couldn't pay their bills, but had brand new trucks or went on cruises or other expensive vacations. Some that weren't delinquent on paying, however they returned stuff that they never bought from us, wrote up labor claims to get partial payment from us for defective parts they replaced and rebilled their customer for the part even though it was still under warranty, or charged for parts they didn't replace and of course they were religious.

We did have some individual mechanics who despite being behind on their accounts, always came in and put whatever money they could on their bill. Eventually they would get caught up.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As a general rule I've found that people refuse to pay bills they have always paid when they are out of money and out of credit.

Seems pretty simple to me. You guys think this goes to a deeper place than being broke?

I would cut him off (obviously) and try to set up a payment plan for the outstanding balance. Much cheaper than resorting to litigation out of the gate...which may be necessary eventually anyway.

So you rush to court a sue...AND WIN!!! And you go to collect the judgment. He refuses to pay...you institute proceedings supplemental...which results in a payment plan...or they go BK which results in either accepting pennies on the dollar (at best) or a payment plan for dimes on the dollar.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Some of you guys are nailing it. This dead beat drives a Lincoln SUV and his wife has a Mercedes....

Yup. We had a fellow brag to us about how he was taking (paying for) his siblings and his grandma to Disneyworld...and posted pix on FB...and very next month couldn't pay rent after his return...didn't respond to voicemails and letters...then phone stopped working altogether. Googled his name, found out he was in jail. Ended up selling contents of his unit (for less than owed, but it freed up the space).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So we're assuming that expensive cars and opening another location means he must have cash on hand.

That's funny.

To me, it indicates high debt. Extremely high debt. Likely, he is tapped out servicing the debt and paying what he considers higher priority creditors. You are sucking hind teet, but unless you are leaving something out, I would have no reason to think it's personal...which doesn't make it feel any better.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I spent half the day today in a court room in Morgantown KY. I was there to testify against another one of my customers that wrote some bad checks. Three and a half hours sitting in the court room, then five minutes in front of the judge. Mine was the last case called before they got the juveniles. This was my first court room experience, and maybe Indiana is like this, but Kentucky had it going on when it comes to keeping things moving. As the judge was finalizing one case, the County Prosecutor was working on the next. Sometimes there was another attorney involved, other times not.

The County Attorney pulled me aside while the judge was finishing a prior case, and we basically had arrangements made on how this bad check was going to be handled. All I had to do was stand up before the judge to get everything on record.

A side note here, the number of uninsured motorists on the road is alarming along with the number people that like to carry baggies of weed around. Basically, bad decisions were the theme today. Things like DUI while on a suspended license.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Common with some people in business endlessly trying to stall or beat somebody out of a nickle. Be patient and get your money while finding better customers. The karma pays off when after a time, they call you wanting to buy something and you politely decline.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    My first run in with this sort of "clientele" was when I was a kid throwing newspapers. Most everyone on my route paid on time or upon a pre-agreed to schedule. But I had one or two that would duck me. This was back in the day when we had to collect manually...and whatever you didn't collect came out of your end. I don't remember the amount now but it couldn't have been much/month. But I remember times, at this one house, I'd go to collect, the door would be open (it had a screen door), I could hear the tv playing, but for some reason, they just couldn't hear me knocking...loudly. I tried to keep customers for obvious reasons. From time-to-time a couple would get behind a month, maybe two but they'd always make it up to me. But there were a couple that I had to drop because they were simply dead beats that didn't mind beating a 12/13 year old kid out of a few bucks.

THIS is why I love the movie "Three o'clock high".
    "Two dollars!"

Oh, and ain't it funny how fast they'll call in to ***** once you get tired of getting stiffed and cut them off?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I spent half the day today in a court room in Morgantown KY. I was there to testify against another one of my customers that wrote some bad checks. Three and a half hours sitting in the court room, then five minutes in front of the judge. Mine was the last case called before they got the juveniles. This was my first court room experience, and maybe Indiana is like this, but Kentucky had it going on when it comes to keeping things moving. As the judge was finalizing one case, the County Prosecutor was working on the next. Sometimes there was another attorney involved, other times not.

The County Attorney pulled me aside while the judge was finishing a prior case, and we basically had arrangements made on how this bad check was going to be handled. All I had to do was stand up before the judge to get everything on record.

A side note here, the number of uninsured motorists on the road is alarming along with the number people that like to carry baggies of weed around. Basically, bad decisions were the theme today. Things like DUI while on a suspended license.

That is just a typical day in court.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    THIS is why I love the movie "Three o'clock high".
    "Two dollars!"

Oh, and ain't it funny how fast they'll call in to ***** once you get tired of getting stiffed and cut them off?

I remember when people would try to pay me with donuts on my paper route..so you want me to trade one stale donut for the $17 you owe me? Maybe for a bearclaw and I can keep your coupons.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Construction was like that in the late 70's. Many people would not pay on time, and would get huffy when you tried to get paid. It was common enough to see a pattern.

The guy with a luxury car, a snake skin brief case, shiny Tony Lama boots and the trendy clothes would be the first to screw you. One guy that owed me a bundle opened a new Company with a slightly different name at the same time he declared bankruptcy on the company that was heavily indebted. Of course he was the one with the attitude that I was being mean to him.
    The Contractor in jeans and dirty work boots, driving an 8 year old Ford truck with a dented tailgate and walking around with a pencil sticking out of his cap.....that guy will pay on time even if it means he misses a meal.
    Best type of folks right there.
    The "religious" will be the first to **** you! I take it you work for a food distribution company, as I know of no other industry dumb enough to extend credit on a consumable item?(ok that's not true, but I've never figured it out?)

Being in the service industry I have seen this more than I would like to admit.
    I agree but let's not get banned. :cool:
    :+1:
    We get some real "religious" folks through our shop. I wouldn't even know where to begin. They'll get ya real quick if you're not careful.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So you rush to court a sue...AND WIN!!! And you go to collect the judgment. He refuses to pay...you institute proceedings supplemental...which results in a payment plan...or they go BK which results in either accepting pennies on the dollar (at best) or a payment plan for dimes on the dollar.

True this!

I won a judgment against a man that was renting across the street in 1981. This guy was a real jerk, from the day he moved his welfare collecting butt into the section 8 rental. He came home drunk and kicked my front door in over something that did not happen. It did get him a couple of misdemeanor charges. Even the responding officer told him I would have been within my rights to shoot him, and included in the police report that my firearm had not been fired. He was ordered by the judge to pay the price the carpenter charged to repair my door frame. I contacted the county at least 20 times over the next year to get the guy to pay, never saw a dime. The guy moved away, still waiting, not holding my breath.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom