• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    I've done some looking over the last week or so but can't find these kinds of answers. Of course, a lot of things like shoulder/waistband/drop leg/SOB and retention/no retention are largely preference issues but I'm curious about the holster itself.

What are hallmarks of quality construction? What are tipoffs that something is trash that should be completely avoided?

If this already exists and I missed it, please point me in the right direction.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What are hallmarks of quality construction?

The reputation of the maker, reputation of the holster materials used, price, inter alia.

Remember, you want the holster AND belt, it's the platform that is vital.

Let someone who know what they are doing answer, skip to 1:38:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDRA_SMiaUg[/ame]

As gun owners we are blessed with many fine makers. I prefer Milt Sparks.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What are hallmarks of quality construction? What are tipoffs that something is trash that should be completely avoided?

Great questions!

For me, this is what I look for in a holster (in no particular order):

• Durable - can not only take repeated drawing, but can also take being rolled over and wrestled with on the ground.
    • A mouth that stays open for one-handed reholstering.
    • A design that holds tight to my body.
    • A solid mounting interface that won't come with my gun when I draw it.
    • A maker with a good reputation among gun toters.
    • Quality construction using good hardware.
    I tend to avoid holsters that are cheaply built (Fobus), have funky retention devices (Serpa), close up when the gun is drawn (many leather holsters), stick out away from my body (paddle holsters), or look largely unfinished (Minotaur knockoffs).

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have a couple nice custom Kydex but I'm really liking my Safariland ALS. It's got both a paddle (it really hangs on tight to the belt) & a belt loop adapter. It has nice sturdy hardware, reinforced plastic where it counts & it's fully suede lined.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I prefer a smooth draw and reholster, as well as no jaggy edges poking me in the side or leg.

I am a fan or leather IWB and leather or kydex OWB.

For leather, typically I can tell if something is going to hold up to daily use, and I am constantly dry firing and practicing drawstroke. I picked up a tagua OWB from a fellow Ingo-er and for 5 bucks, its awesome.

I will also add that a good quality leather gunbelt can make even the trashiest holster work and function ok.

I am skeptical to try a crossbreed or a knockoff, as I aim to try not to print through my pants, and worry about long term wear to jeans/khakis.

For IWB, what I have found to be most comfortable is a milt sparks summer special II (I made a knockoff...sure beats paying that much for something I enjoyed making :-) )

For OWB I prefer my belt slide when trying to conceal, and for open carry I prefer something with retention. Right now I'm using a serpa. Shame shame right?

You will go through a **** ton of holsters before you find "the one". I have been carrying just shy of a year and have bought or made at least ten. Good luck, and happy hunting. Just remember that sometimes all you are paying for is a warranty ;)

Tom Fineis

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    Cleveland, OH
    If it's made by Raven Concealment Systems.

If it's not made by Raven Concealment Systems.

Well said. :rockwoot:

There's a lot of good gear out there. Look for something designed by shooters (the majority of this industry sells gear designed by engineers and marketing stiffs), with a good reputation, good warranty, and good customer service.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I like Crossbreed supertuk's for IWB and I use Hooch holsters kydex OWB for my usual carries. I have a wide variety of different holsters though for all of them, those two are my usualy choices though. A good belt makes such a crazy difference!!

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    Comp-Tac is another really good company.

Their belts and holsters are solid, this coming from a short round guy who wears their belt daily.

I like Crossbreed supertuk's for IWB and I use Hooch holsters kydex OWB for my usual carries. I have a wide variety of different holsters though for all of them, those two are my usualy choices though. A good belt makes such a crazy difference!!

I never really thought about the belt being a consideration until Kirk mentioned it earlier. I guess I'm curious about what makes a belt good or bad for using a holster now too.

More to the original question, what is it about these pieces that you like over others you've tried? I'm just looking for as much education as possible. Thanks for all the information from everyone so far.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I never really thought about the belt being a consideration until Kirk mentioned it earlier. I guess I'm curious about what makes a belt good or bad for using a holster now too.

More to the original question, what is it about these pieces that you like over others you've tried? I'm just looking for as much education as possible. Thanks for all the information from everyone so far.

A good belt makes a world of difference. Wide, thick and sturdy is what you want. It'll hold the weight of a gun and holster extremely well.

I like the Wilderness Instructors Belt. And a lot of others like belts made by The Belt Man.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

I like the quality and function of both I listed. The crossbreed is the best IWB holster I have ever had, period. It's a hybrid, IE: leather with a kydex shell. I love the way it holds the gun, fits my body, stays in one place, and spreads the feel. For OWB like I said I love my Hooch holsters, they're like Raven's design. They hold the gun good, stay close to my body, ride high so easy to conceal if needed. I have plenty of others I like ok but those are my favorite by far. Kydex is the stuff to use, unless you have a really nice revolver or something anyways. :twocents:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I guess I'm curious about what makes a belt good or bad for using a holster now too.

The main quality found in a good gun belt is stiffness-- for both the length and the width. You shouldn't be able to pinch the top and bottom of the belt together, and you shouldn't be able to wind it up in a tight roll either, like so:

4d07c76bb53d2ba8f960045cf0dc11c5.jpg

A belt's stiffness is important because it spreads out the weight of the heavy gun along the entire beltline. Not only is this more comfortable, but it keeps the gun from sagging one side of your belt and allowing the gun to flop around. This could cause the gun to fall out of its holster, or become inaccessible when you need it. I actually find that carrying a spare magazine opposite my gun gives some balance to the overall rig, making it even more comfortable.

Belts achieve this stiffness in varying ways. Some leather belts use two pieces of leather glued and sewn together, making it very thick and rigid. Some will use a stiff plastic insert between two pieces of softer material like nylon or leather. Others will use a synthetic material that is inherently stiff. Here are some examples of each:

Gun Belts by The Belt Man | tel. (919) 387-1997 | DUAL-LAYER BULL HIDE BELTS

Tactical Belts, Duty Belt, Military Belt, Instructor Belt

Liger® Gun Belt - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR Tactical Nylon Gear for Military, Law Enforcement, Tactical Concealed Carry; Tailored to Perform Tactical

A wider belt is also more stable, but anything larger than 1.75" won't fit most pantloops. The "norm" is 1.5", with 1.25" being considered "skinny", and 1.75" being considered "wide".

Another consideration is the fit of the holster to the belt. If your holster has 1.5" loops but your belt is 1.25" you're going to have issues with the holster moving around-- especially when drawing. Ideally the holster and the belt act as one solid unit, with the holster fitting snug to the belt.

HTH!

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    A good belt makes a world of difference. Wide, thick and sturdy is what you want. It'll hold the weight of a gun and holster extremely well.

I like the Wilderness Instructors Belt. And a lot of others like belts made by The Belt Man.

I've been real happy with several belts and slide holsters from BullHideBelts.com :yesway:

Top Bottom