What is your primary reason for owning a firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is your primary reason for owning a firearm?

• Total voters

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    What is your primary reason for owning a firearm?

I've seen some polling on this and wonder how we stack up on INGO. :ingo:

Pick the primary/most important reason to you.

(You can mention other reasons in your post.)

Responses are not public.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I selected defense as the primary reason. I had to think about it because I am also an avid hunter, and I have actually shot things while hunting and have never shot anything for defensive purposes (hope I never have to).

It's hard to answer because I have different weapons for each purpose. I carry my hunting weapons primarily for hunting, and my defensive weapons primarily (and only) for defense.

I picked defense over hunting because my life or someone else's may someday depend on that defensive weapon, whereas hunting is something I do for fun.

Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    I selected defense as the primary reason. I had to think about it because I am also an avid hunter, and I have actually shot things while hunting and have never shot anything for defensive purposes (hope I never have to).

It's hard to answer because I have different weapons for each purpose. I carry my hunting weapons primarily for hunting, and my defensive weapons primarily (and only) for defense.

I picked defense over hunting because my life or someone else's may someday depend on that defensive weapon, whereas hunting is something I do for fun.

+1 Hunting is much more enjoyable that concealed carry, and I have been hunting much longer than carrying. However, the defense of my family out ranks hunting.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Different reasons for different guns. Shotguns, muzzle loader, and ..22 for hunting. Pistol for self defense, and the rest for target shooting.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I carry a gun everyday for self defense and that was the only reason I bought a firearm in the first place so I voted *Defense although, realistically, I own guns for many of the options listed.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Why do I own a firearm: Defense.

What use/reasons do most of my firearms get: It's cool, target shooting, friendly competition, legacy, hunting, civic responsibility, collecting, historical interests, fun, etc.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    It started out way back when as a purely recreational thing, not so much anymore.

LeftEyeBill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Grant Co.
    I marked "Target Shooting" simply because it wouldn't let me choose multiple categories. An all of the above would have been handy, but useless as a pole tool I'm sure. Target shooting seems to be what I do the most, other then hunting so that will have to be my choice. I mostly own firearms because I enjoy them, and I can. :)

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011

Defense is #1. Agree 100% with 1911 :yesway:. Many other reasons but first is defense.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I guess if I was gonna 'yeah, but...' I would say, the PRIMARY reason ANYONE here owns any functioning firearm is so they have the choice to pick any of the 10 'reasons' listed.

You CAN hunt with a 'defensive' handgun. You CAN target shoot with a hunting rifle. you CAN defend yourself with a target pistol.

You CAN come to INGO (or any other forum) and discuss, debate, and argue WHY your choice is 'best'. SOME will fervently agree with you, while some will fervently disagree. That's a GOOD thing.

Fortunately, you HAVE the choice to do any of those with whatever firearm tickles your fancy.

And that's certainly a GOOD thing, too.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I first owned my weapons for Hunting. My Shotguns, Muzzleloader, and Rifles were primarily puchased before i was 18 for Hunting reasons. Now that i am 21, i added some handguns into the mix and CC daily; however, the first reason i purchased a firearm at 16 was for deer hunting.

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    The initial reason was for home protection, but after my first couple of trips to a range that changed to target shooting. After a trip to a skeet and sporting clay range, I am finding that to be even more fun.

Top Bottom