What is the best scope mount for a Mosin Nagant?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    There really isn't one. There are several options that clamp on to the dovetail under the rear sight, but that's really only for scout scopes. I'm assuming your scope isn't a scout scope.

You could drill and tap the receiver for a scope mount, but that's a little bit involved. Not impossible if you know what you're doing.

I inherited a yard sale Mosin and tapped the receiver with a pic rail and put a scope on it. I cut the barrel at about 18 inches and put the rifle in a archangel stock. Wound up being a fun looking rifle, but not all that practical. I got about 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I did it years ago with a 2-7 scout scope and an AIM surplus rear sight pic rail. Kinda sucks to be honest.
    th-948137246.jpg

This would let you use a normal eye relief scope without modifying the rifle permenatly. Although I suspect.... this might also kinda suck compared to a cheap savage axis or something of the like.

Might be value ahead to sell the scope, buy a bunch of ammo and enjoy the rifle the way Surgei intended.

Just my $0.02.
    Oh wait I gotta account for inflation...
    Just my $0.20

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I am thinking if you drill and tap the receiver for a scope mount to get normal eye relief there will be a bolt problem. You will possibly have to cut the bolt handle and weld back together in a turned down position. Mosins are super cool just as manufactured. Jim.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    Just don't. it's way easier to get a ruger american or a savage,etc. Those rifles will shoot far more accurately. It is not a great look, I know I usually judge people immediately with bubba scopes on their mosin. There are Mosin Sniper's and Sniper repro's out there and they are okay. Please don't do goofy stuff to milsurp rifles.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I am thinking if you drill and tap the receiver for a scope mount to get normal eye relief there will be a bolt problem. You will possibly have to cut the bolt handle and weld back together in a turned down position. Mosins are super cool just as manufactured. Jim.
    totally forgot about this.

Yeah I had to get the bolt kit too.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So I got a decent scope from a buddy for free and I want to put it on a Mosin. Whatbis the best all around quality and price point?
    I say don't ruin it. However, its your choice and I would suggest making it a scout mount and scope. Don't go cheap on the mount make sure it's good quality. If you mount a scout scope you should be able to use striper clips or load it from the top as normal and no bolt work needed.

1652937142728.png

Also IIRC those rifles were made to fire with the bayonet on.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Back when they were cheap to buy, I put together a sporter as a gift for my father. I used an ATI monte Carlo stock, bolt handle kit and scope mount kit. The scope mount required drilling and tapping the receiver. I was surprised how har that metal was as I broke two 1/4" taps (Snap-on) off in the process.
    The bolt handle was easy enough to cut off and grind to the appropriate stub for the bolt handle to be attached. I used some pvc pip wrapped in sandpaper to work the stock around the barrel so it would be free floating. I also used some aluminum bedding pillars that I fitted into the stock so the action was solid and left rhe barrel free floating just enough to fit a dollar bill folded in half between the barrel and stock.
    It turned out really well but the rimmed cases made it less than quick to load by hand one round at a time. Dad bought the scope he wanted and had it leveled & bore sighted. He went with a Weaver 3-15x 50 scope. Took it down to Atterbury and got it so it was shooting 2" groups at 100yds. No BS, 2" groups with Mil-surp steel core ammo off a sandbag rest.
    Dad absolutely loves that gun.
    Not sure if ATI is still around or not. Looks like nobody has those kits in stock.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Back when they were cheap to buy, I put together a sporter as a gift for my father. I used an ATI monte Carlo stock, bolt handle kit and scope mount kit. The scope mount required drilling and tapping the receiver. I was surprised how har that metal was as I broke two 1/4" taps (Snap-on) off in the process.
    The bolt handle was easy enough to cut off and grind to the appropriate stub for the bolt handle to be attached. I used some pvc pip wrapped in sandpaper to work the stock around the barrel so it would be free floating. I also used some aluminum bedding pillars that I fitted into the stock so the action was solid and left rhe barrel free floating just enough to fit a dollar bill folded in half between the barrel and stock.
    It turned out really well but the rimmed cases made it less than quick to load by hand one round at a time. Dad bought the scope he wanted and had it leveled & bore sighted. He went with a Weaver 3-15x 50 scope. Took it down to Atterbury and got it so it was shooting 2" groups at 100yds. No BS, 2" groups with Mil-surp steel core ammo off a sandbag rest.
    Dad absolutely loves that gun.
    Not sure if ATI is still around or not. Looks like nobody has those kits in stock.
    Almost exactly what I did with mine, except I was only getting 3-4 inches from ammo.

I sold it a few years ago after a few guys oogled it at a range.

Top Bottom