• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    So in your opinion's, what do you consider concealed carry & what do you consider open carry?

Not trying to start a "what's better" war, just trying to see what everyone's opinions on it are about it.

For me, I consider concealed, IWB or OWB covered enough as to not be seen throughout normal every day activities.
    Open Carry would be OWB with tucked or untucked shirt, that can be seen while going through normal everyday activities. Or rockin' a dropleg tacticool holster.

Discuss...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Concealed - you've made every attempt to prevent others from seeing your handgun, and even from seeing its outline (printing).

Open - everything else.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Concealed - you've made every attempt to prevent others from seeing your handgun, and even from seeing its outline (printing).

Open - everything else.

Agreed.

Many times I will "casually conceal" my gun which is really nothing more than wearing a baggy shirt but if the shirt rides up, or blows in the wind, or whatever then I'm obviously not concealed! When I want to get serious I put on a good concealment holster like a CrossBreed Super Tuck Deluxe and take measures to make sure the gun is actually concealed in every reasonable way.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Many times I will "casually conceal" my gun which is really nothing more than wearing a baggy shirt but if the shirt rides up, or blows in the wind, or whatever then I'm obviously not concealed!.

This is what spurred the question in my mind. This weekend I was carrying my sr9c OWB in a pancake on my belt with an untucked shirt. While most people wouldn't be able to see it, it was visible if I went for my wallet or twisted. I wasn't too concerned with concealing, obviously. And let me just say that it was soooo much more comfortable to carry compared to IWB.

But got me to wondering what others actually consider concealed/open, or heck I think some states have laws that define what concealed is.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    But got me to wondering what others actually consider concealed/open, or heck I think some states have laws that define what concealed is.

They do. Florida is one of those state. Concealed means obscured from plain sight, including the holster. Printing is not a crime in Florida.

For me, in Indiana, anything but blatant Open Carry is concealed. Meaning if my shirt half covers it, it's concealed enough as far as I'm concerned.

In Florida, the entire gun and holster were covered. Never cared about printing, as it wasn't a crime.

The only time I get concerned about concealing and not printing is when it is in a non-permissive environment. A workplace where firearms are prohibited by company policy for example.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Concealed - you've made every attempt to prevent others from seeing your handgun, and even from seeing its outline (printing). Supertuck, ankle hoster, ect. When no one knows and cannot readily tell even if they know you carry often...

Open - everything else.

[snip&omit]The only time I get concerned about concealing is when it is in a non-permissive environment. A workplace where firearms are prohibited by company policy for example.[/snip&omit] Or when in a state that honors our permits. I am already out of my native land and don't want to stick out any more than I do already.:laugh:

These are pretty much my views on it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Open - everything else.

That's pretty much how I see it too. I rarely go to great lengths to conceal. My normal carry method is OWB with a tucked in t shirt and an unbuttoned shirt untucked. I think of it as Melonsdad put it: Casual carry. Concealed carry for me means I'm making sure it is not visible. Open carry is completely open. Casual carry is everything else.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I too only carry concealed, however, things shift, slide, sag, and when they do I become an unknown open carrier. I don't care who sees me exposed, I just don't normaly carry anything outside of hunting season that way.

Top Bottom