What is a "Good" Stockpile for Munitions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    I am a first-time firearm owner (not even 2 weeks' yet!) and have quickly found myself asking 2 questions:
    • How much ammo should I stockpile in this current supply-and-demand/pandemic environment?
    • Why did I chose now, of all times, to get into this?!
    The second question is certainly tongue-in-cheek. However, the first is anything but. I have only been able to fire 100 rounds through my new firearm, exclusively because of the ever-increasing cost and rarity of ammo. And as I get a box here and there, the common advice is to stockpile. So, stockpile I have, even though I very much want to go to the range.

So, my fellow INGO visitors, what is a "good", "safe," or "[insert adjective of equal definition here]" amount of munitions to stockpile, in your opinion?

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I’ve read 1k rounds for every caliber you own. And 10k for every caliber if you are in a militia. No idea on an elaboration on that, it’s just what I read.

I’d be comfortable with 5k rounds for the 9mm. And 5k rounds for the ar15. And buy as I go to replace what I shoot for practice.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    First thing you should learn is not be a brand new forum member and ask questions about "stockpiles" or "arsenals" or anything related to that. It makes folks wonder what your true intent might be?

There is tons of info on this forum, if you search. If you appear to be soliciting info, you could be mistaken for agencies up to no good. :twocents:

Best of luck friend.

:ingo:

Last edited:

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    There is really no "right" answer I can provide. I would suggest the following...

The amount of ammo you keep in stores, depends on:
    • Type of firearm/round - It's fair to say I go through more 9mm ball ammo and .22lr than 6.5 Creedmoor
    • Frequency of training/usage - If you train frequently, you could easily go through 1,000+ rounds a week
    • Type of ammo - You might be inclined to store more practice ammo than you would expensive self-defense ammo (or some other specialty round)
    • Future availability outlook - Think "buy a lot when it's inexpensive.". Ammo is something you will always need, so buy it while you can for the best price possible. This eliminates the need to buy large quantities when ammo is scarce/high-priced.
    Glad you are on board with the firearm community!! Stay with it. Hopefully ammo prices normalize sometime this year. Improvise as necessary by perhaps dry-fire training and/or using .22lr as a training platform. Also, learn all you can about self-defense and shooting in general. Lots of books and classes on these subjects.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I’ve read that a normal range day before all this would have been 1k rounds if you were making the most out of it. Now 100 rounds and it might seem like you are showing off. Lmao.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    First thing you should learn is not be be a brand new forum member and ask questions about "stockpiles" or "arsenals" or anything related to that. It makes folks wonder what your true intent might be?

There is tons of info on this forum, if you search. If you appear to be soliciting info, you could be mistaken for agencies up to no good. :twocents:

Best of luck friend.

I actually asked him this question in another thread. So he made a post out of it. I’m sure it’s a thought of every new person, myself included.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    For me, I keep a 2 year supply. I own a 44 mag, and shoot it 50 rounds a year, so I only keep 100 rounds or so. I own multiple AR 15's, and shoot 10k rounds a year, so I keep 20k.

I figure with a 2 year supply I wont run out before pandemic's, election, etc craziness goes away. That said, this current crisis is making me wish I had gone to a 4 year supply this time last year.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I’ve read 1k rounds for every caliber you own. And 10k for every caliber if you are in a militia. No idea on an elaboration on that, it’s just what I read.

I’d be comfortable with 5k rounds for the 9mm. And 5k rounds for the ar15. And buy as I go to replace what I shoot for practice.
    I hope the 10K for every caliber doesn't apply to George Mason's definition of the militia (the whole of the people), I need another safe!

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I hope the 10K for every caliber doesn't apply to George Mason's definition of the militia (the whole of the people), I need another safe!
    Someone said that since ammo is more costly than the guns now (in most cases) then to keep all the ammo locked up before anything else. Lmao.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Years ago, somebody said 1000 rds per weapon. I also believe the mix should be for every 5 rounds of training ammo you should have at least 1 round of self defense ammo for those weapons designated like that.
    You may be right about the timing but if you buy a little at a time, you will end up with a lot over time.

Bob

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'd say a good baseline is to try and get 2k rounds per gun when times are good, prices are stable and shelves are stocked. Obviously more is better.

We're way past the point where I would recommend running out to buy those quantity with current pricing. Unless of course you actually have the disposable income to do that.

As others have mentioned there are a lot of variables around how much you want to shoot, but if things ever start to normalize again, 2k rounds per gun is a good starting point.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    For me, I keep a 2 year supply. I own a 44 mag, and shoot it 50 rounds a year, so I only keep 100 rounds or so. I own multiple AR 15's, and shoot 10k rounds a year, so I keep 20k.

I figure with a 2 year supply I wont run out before pandemic's, election, etc craziness goes away. That said, this current crisis is making me wish I had gone to a 4 year supply this time last year.
    20k? That’s awesome. I have a decent amount of 5.56. About half of them are green tip. 5.56 was cheaper than 2.23. Do you suggest a mix of those two? I thought 2.23 might be better for range if only it was cheaper!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You can't use more than 1 at a time, so why have more?

uncle joe bidet says a double barrel shotgun is ok but that's just too high capacity for my tastes, and a bit radical IMHO.

3iuc8f.jpg

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    You can't use more than 1 at a time, so why have more?

uncle joe bidet says a double barrel shotgun is ok but that's just too high capacity for my tastes, and a bit radical IMHO.

3iuc8f.jpg
    Finally.....you talk sense!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    First thing you should learn is not be be a brand new forum member and ask questions about "stockpiles" or "arsenals" or anything related to that. It makes folks wonder what your true intent might be?

Best of luck friend.

This, especially after making it clear you are a leftist.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Patriots shouldn't cower because they are afraid someone's a plant by the government. They just tell them it's none of your business just like salary or how much cash is kept in the safe or where the safe is located.

Or on a forum just don't reply.

Top Bottom