Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We completed a major overhaul in our bug out gear.
    Age and physical condition are issues if we have to hump out of the area. Just is not going to happen. We put all of our gear in well made seal-able totes. This has tripled the amount of gear/food/cloths/shelter we can roll with. It is all ready to be grabbed up and loaded for a rapid egress if needed. Still have the bags.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I continue to make headway on the house projects. By the end of next week, the basement we've been working on since January should be done as far as we're going to be taking it this year. Once done, we'll be able to organize everything in the house to where we want things to finally end up. The workout area will be restored, my "man land" will be back in operation with plenty of reloading to get caught up on. Time to organize and inventory preps. Cycle some things through the system, repair others. Work on comms, lockpicking etc.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    The wife was always supportive, but not real into the idea of everything. She liked the idea of me prepping for the family, and she would throw out ideas as well, but just recently she really got to where she understands the importance of it. So I revamped our BOB's so they more accurately suite our family. Inventoried/organized everything. Made a list of missing items that I thought of. Will hopefully have both bags fully ready to deploy by the end of the week. (They would do the job now, as I have all main components, but there's some more tweaking and refining I would like to do to it.

Since I started my bags, I find that I want to keep adapting/changing them. Once a year I try and go out and do a survivalist weekend with just my bag or pack, and I generally try and pick pretty crappy weather to do it. (rain or snow/cold temps) Every time I do, I find I want to change my bag around to better suite me. idk.. anyone else have that problem? Can't stop improving on it?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    anyone else have that problem? Can't stop improving on it?

My bag & preps change as my family grows and changes. My bag and preps change as my skills change. I started with a large Alice pack that was packed completely full. As time went on I switched to a huge camelback. As I sit now, I'm thinking of going to an even smaller camelback. Your preps/bags should shift and change with time, skills, seasons. When I started on all of this I was impressed by what gear I saw and how much people could stuff in their packs. Now.... the less "gear" I see the more I'm impressed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The wife was always supportive, but not real into the idea of everything. She liked the idea of me prepping for the family, and she would throw out ideas as well, but just recently she really got to where she understands the importance of it. So I revamped our BOB's so they more accurately suite our family. Inventoried/organized everything. Made a list of missing items that I thought of. Will hopefully have both bags fully ready to deploy by the end of the week. (They would do the job now, as I have all main components, but there's some more tweaking and refining I would like to do to it.

Since I started my bags, I find that I want to keep adapting/changing them. Once a year I try and go out and do a survivalist weekend with just my bag or pack, and I generally try and pick pretty crappy weather to do it. (rain or snow/cold temps) Every time I do, I find I want to change my bag around to better suite me. idk.. anyone else have that problem? Can't stop improving on it?

We have always been prepared to a point. Last few years it has morphed into the system we now have and we were discussing last night about adding more to that system.
    If you are serious it will never stop changing.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I've put up a bunch of veggies from the garden. I don't have to worry about refrigeration, since I canned them. I do need to put some meat away, it's a great prep and it makes for a quick dinner.

Sybaris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    collected historical weather maps of the U.S. and picked out an unpopulated area that would not stress supplies in the winter and got plenty of rainfall. I also chose a route to that area that avoided population centers and major roads.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Been training a lot recently. Guns, team skills, team movement, vehicle extractions, entrapment and ambush defense, shooting from a car. Moving into high end patrolling and assault skills. I'm way low on ammo from all this, need to get my butt in the garage and make more. Started putting back more freeze dried stuff.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Hosted a firearms training class for some people I knew with a professional instructor. Five guys, along with my wife and I learned about safety rules, safe handling of firearms, first aid in case one of the four safety rules gets broken, then the basics of pistol marksmanship. Everyone walked away learning important lessons. Everyone has been thanking me for hosting the class and can't believe how much they learned in such a short period of time.

Creating more good guys with guns was my biggest prep.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hosted a firearms training class for some people I knew with a professional instructor. Five guys, along with my wife and I learned about safety rules, safe handling of firearms, first aid in case one of the four safety rules gets broken, then the basics of pistol marksmanship. Everyone walked away learning important lessons. Everyone has been thanking me for hosting the class and can't believe how much they learned in such a short period of time.

Creating more good guys with guns was my biggest prep.

Bravo.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Found a very nice Kero Sun kerosene heater on CL this weekend and just restored it. I learned a very hard lesson this past January about back up heat and I will not be caught cold again when the power goes out. If you are in the market for a nice heater I would look for the Kero Sun or any Toyostove brand. They are very simple to work on and rebuild and are many times better than the new stuff at the box stores. Bring on the cold.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I bought approximately 2000 packets of assorted seeds for super cheap to get ready for next year. Taking inventory and organizing is a nightmare in spite of discovering that a seed packet fits nicely in the footprint of a brown paper lunch sack which can be labeled with a Sharpie and stapled shut when all of a given type of seed is so contained to be placed, in turn, in a storage tote.

jajwrigh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    A little overdue handgun training with a few basic drills. I shoot with both eyes open and I am naturally right handed, so I practice like this and left handed as well. I also practice one handed with each hand in case I were to get injured or something. I also practiced accurate double taps on multiple targets. Good session for sure.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom