Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sadly, I saw that by noon today most of the stations had popped back up to $1.999/gal. I'm hoping it's just a Christmas travel "mini-gouge".... errrr... pro-active demand spike pricing

Yeah I missed that dip as the stations around us were well on the way up before I got out on the streets.
    I did buy 4 more plastic 5 gallon containers from the race shop. I will be ready next time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sadly, I saw that by noon today most of the stations had popped back up to $1.999/gal. I'm hoping it's just a Christmas travel "mini-gouge".... errrr... pro-active demand spike pricing

Yeah I missed that dip as the stations around us were well on the way up before I got out on the streets.
    I did buy 4 more plastic 5 gallon containers from the race shop. I will be ready next time.

The low price was at $1.34 here yesterday morning, then by the time I was on my way home, $1.99. ARGH!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I missed it as well. Diesel below $2/gal!!!! At least I still have Kroger "fuel points". Should be able to fill up for about $1.70/g this morning.

On a "prep" note: My wife and I are getting each other a "trip to Lehmans" for Christmas this year. We have been saving a bit, and are taking a couple of days to drive over in January. I've started putting together a list. What would YOU put on a Lehmans shopping list?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    The low price was at $1.34 here yesterday morning, then by the time I was on my way home, $1.99. ARGH!

Kroger in Cville was still 1.34 as of an hour ago. Several other stations are under $1.70 according to Gas Buddy. (all reported within the past hour)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Kroger in Cville was still 1.34 as of an hour ago. Several other stations are under $1.70 according to Gas Buddy. (all reported within the past hour)

D'OH! Thanks! I'm going there this afternoon for groceries. My tank is almost full, but I'll top-off if it's still there.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wife has the Kroger points thing going. Having 2 trucks it gets used.

I just poured in a 5 gal can a few days ago, about ready for another soon. For sure one, maybe two, more before the end of the month for the fuel points.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Can someone school me on radio/walkies? I always see some sort of handheld walkie in BOBs...

Are there any universally accepted models/brands? Are they all compatible with each other? I've never, ever had one past the age of 13, back when they were just used to play with friends... so I always think of these things as a pair.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    FRS is super-short range, and has a handful of channels. A multi-channel version of the old Walkie-Talkie.
    GMRS is a little longer range, but you need an FCC license. Most have all the FRS channels plus the GMRS ones. Some also have "privacy" modes, where you can select what is basically a sub-channel. They can also use a relay/repeater.

My FRS radios work OK line of sight, like on a lake. Maybe a couple of miles? In the woods, they go maybe a 100 yards. My GMRS radios (yes, I got the license) advertise 30 miles. In reality, I get maybe 2 miles. I haven't tried "line of sight" with no obstructions.

We take them hiking, fishing, and the like. Works fine when we are not all that far apart. Worthless for any real distance, or with any real obstructions (hills).

I used to dabble in CB radio, and still have several. MUCH better range, even with a handheld.

The way I've heard it described:
    - FRS/GMRS is great for team comms
    - CB for group comms
    - Ham for public (anything at a distance)

I'm sure there are others on here with TONS more knowledge on this than I.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Our handhelds are good deep into the neighborhood about as far as a group would be separated in any situation. They are FRS.
    Line of site in the city is maybe 2 miles after dark. It is less in the day time possibly due to interference's during waking hours but still......2 miles is good for what we will need them for.

I do miss using CB radio. Got out long ago.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Been stocking up on reloading components. Winchester primers on sale at Midway and Brownells. Good pricing if you can buy enough at a time to justify hazmat and shipping.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Can someone school me on radio/walkies? I always see some sort of handheld walkie in BOBs...

Are there any universally accepted models/brands? Are they all compatible with each other? I've never, ever had one past the age of 13, back when they were just used to play with friends... so I always think of these things as a pair.

I took a class from INGO's very own "SAILOR". He's a comms wizard. Whatever Motorola radio's you bought off the shelf at a big box store just give those to the kids, they're junk. I took some 25 mile rated Motorola's into the Canadian bush and they didn't go one mile. The generally accepted standard of decent two way radio's in the prepper world is the Baofeng UV-5R+. They're less than $40 on amazon and if you look at the max signal output, you'll see they're twice (5 watts) what most off the shelf motorolas are. Beyond that, hit up SAILOR for the information. He teaches classes on this kind of stuff all the time. He's probably set up some time to help you get squared away too. He's a good dude like that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom