What happens when a train hits a log truck?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    When a train hits a truck loaded with logs, the logs dislodge from the truck. Some disintegrate, others become lodged under the locomotive. Which in turn causes the train to jump the tracks. This is some snap shots from the locomotive cab, along with the aftermath. As a railroader, this is one of the top 5 vehicles you don't want to hit.

Thankfully the engineer walked away with minor cuts and scratches, and the conductor was treated and released from the hospital for injuries he sustained.

Please look before crossing.

3fd0c1fc925c61675030fc403ec953e0.jpg

bc8a0cee9a24a20dc2899d129e63316d.jpg

72d93a2664df525523fac6300c5eb383.jpg

b1b6dc92edf157392980a523579bcf71.jpg

622e5f47f56c70dddbc1ac7747a2f856.jpg

87722f8b3eadcc658e67c318bba8c828.jpg

3c86f957644d10e041d1edc706eaf0dc.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    During training, I've seen the video of train vs school bus. The train didn't slow noticeably. The school bus was recognizable as such due to some of the smithereens being yellow on one side and red on the other. It's a truck, but as trucks go it's pretty much an eggshell sitting on the frame. Good in traffic, but not up to a side impact from a slab of steel the size of a house. A tanker of liquid nitrogen might be interesting. A tanker of gasoline would be a show for sure.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    To be fair, the car didn't kill her. Kennedy's desire to avoid making his shenanigans known combined with a river killed her.

The argument could be made that while you are correct about the motive and withholding of assistance, it can still be argued that she could not escape by virtue of being contained within the car unable to get out.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Ok... What are the other four you want to avoid?

tanker
    school bus
    armored car
    semi

???

Pretty close.

A gas truck
    dump truck
    garbage truck
    school bus.

the school bus, not for damage and physical well being of the train crew, but the mental well being.

Anytime you hit a vehicle it can be difficult, but a school bus, don't even want to think about.

an armored car would most likely just bounce away without much chance for injury to the train crew.

An interesting note, now that I'm an RTC (Rail Traffic Controller), my first question after being notified of a collision with a vehicle or pedestrian for that matter is "Are you guys ok, do you need medical attention?"

After they answer that, I then get enough details to start up emergency response. The train crew is helpless, there's only so much they can do. The trespassers weren't supposed to be there.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I hear ya on that mental part. Imagine the responsibility of driving the young skulls full of mush back and forth every day without cracking any of them. As even tempered as I am, I had to give it up. There was a driver that had been there when I was born and still at it. That was 1964, mind you. Hitting one with a train would hollow me out like few things possibly could.

Top Bottom