• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    You're thinking about steel plate as in body armor? There are coatings like truck-bed-liners that are supposed to contain fragments. YMMV depending on angle of impact. UHMWPE or ceramic plates will do better

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    A few years ago porter county sheriff's dept. had my company rhino lining plates for their dept. I went shooting with them one day so they could show me how well it did or didn't work and what we could do to improve upon it. The rhino lining did a great job of trapping the shrapnel and preventing it from escaping and hurting the person wearing it.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The only safe way to shoot steel is to maintain complete control of where fragments will go. You must angle the steel so projectiles glance off and can only go into a side berm or down into the ground front of the target. Angle of incidence equal angle of reflection - just like a pool table. Don't use steel at very short ranges. My club ran steel matches for years and after a match you could walk out to the targets and find almost all of the bullets laying on the ground in front of the targets. If you shoot jacketed stuff DO NOT use heavily cratered plates. If they're smooth and flat they are OK but craters can turn a piece of lead or copper inside out and throw it straight back at you. Believe it. On a swinging plate don't keep shooting them while they're swinging. Wait for them to stop. I've seen swingers bat bullets back to the face of the person who just fired it. Saw a guy hit right between the eyes with a 240 gr. cast .44 slug. He fired, the barrel lifted up in recoil and the slug came straight back under the gun to his face. It's better to have any plate fixed or falling backwards onto the deck. Swingers can be dangerous if shot while they're moving. ALWAYS think about where the slugs will go. EVERYBODY must have eye protection. Shooting steel is probably the most you can have with a gun.

Top Bottom