• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    My 11 yr old daughter has shot Steel Challenge and Rimfire Madness this year with her pistol and rifle. She now wants to move up to shooting a 9mm in Steel Challenge and we would both like to get into USPSA.

She shoots my M&P 9 (with small back strap)but she doesn't think it fits her hands well. She complains it is fat and after a few rounds she has to re-adjust her grip. She has held but not shot a single stack 1911...she likes the way it fits in her hand.

So the question is would it be reasonable to buy her a single stack 1911 in 9mm (considering an STI Trojan)to start out in USPSA? Would I be better off trying to find a production gun that fits her hands? Is single stack a bad place for her to start? I kinda understand the power factor scoring but I don't think she needs to shoot anything bigger than a 9mm starting out (plus I shoot 9mm).

I am really interested in advice from some of you that have been doing this a while. How would you start her out if she were your daughter?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    If she likes the feel of 1911, try a CZ 75 variant, assuming she wants to shoot production. With the thin aluminum grips, it actually make a single stack feel fat.

It'll run better than a 9mm 1911 as well.

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    Start her with the Trojan. You can't go wrong with a SS 1911. Shoot 147 gr loads and she will do great. She will do better with the trigger pull of a 1911 than a DA/SA.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Bring what you have to a match. Shoot it and enjoy. You may get the opportunity for your daughter to TRY different equipment after the match vs us guessing what she will like.

Her grip slipping on the M&P may or may not be a "fit" issue. It may also be technique.

By experiencing the competition, you will get a better feel for what division you will enjoy vs us guessing that for you.

People focus too much on getting the right equipment before they come out and shoot vs just coming out and shooting as part of figuring out what equipment is best.

-rvb

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I have taken the Intro to Competition class that Coach offers as well as one or two of his instructional leagues. I intend on shooting Production with my M&P. I agree technique may be part of her problem with the M&P. But she just doesn't like the feel of it even when dry firing.

I hope to get the chance for her to actually shoot a few other guns before we buy anything...I plan to buy her one for Christmas.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I would take her to a gun shop and let her hold several different guns. I'm not sure what your options are in IL, but there maybe a few options in Terre Haute. Last resort, take her to Gander Mountain (gasp) and let her try a few there.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I would recommend having her shoot Limited to start even if it is a Production gun. SS and Production will be a maximum amount of reloads on every stage and that will be harder for her to do and likely cut down on the enjoyment. Let her focus on the shooting and not breaking down stages and reloading. She can grow into those things. Plus early on she will struggle with plates, popper and Texas stars and the extra rounds in the gun will be handly.

If you could find a double stack 9mm that can fit her hand I think that will be the best way. The recoil of the M & P was tough for my daughter. That is why I got her the Para P18. But getting the gun to run was a nightmare. Once it is running it worked out.

The CZ style of pistols might be something to check out. I don't have any experience with them.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    I will try to get her to hold a few more guns and see how they fit her hand. One of the problems may be that she is so used to shooting her Ruger Mark 3 and she expects everything to feel as thin as it.

She has shot the M&P and a Sig 226. She has held various single stack 1911's and thought they felt good in her hands. She did hold a Para(I think it was a double stack) and she had to stretch to reach the trigger.

The other thing I have to take into account is how hard it is to rack the slide. She does a good job but some are harder for her than others.

We will be at Riley for Steel Challenge this weekend....if any of you will be there and have a gun you think might work for her and would be willing to let her hold to see how it fits we would appreciate it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I don't know how it compares to the M&P, but 9mm glocks have relatively small grips as well. My wife has smallish hands and she thought the G19 suited her better than other centerfires she tried so far. I'm going to be getting her her own G19 soon (Once either I figure out how to 100% fix the ejection or I'm confident glock has fixed the ejection problems).

-rvb

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I will try to get her to hold a few more guns and see how they fit her hand. One of the problems may be that she is so used to shooting her Ruger Mark 3 and she expects everything to feel as thin as it.

She has shot the M&P and a Sig 226. She has held various single stack 1911's and thought they felt good in her hands. She did hold a Para(I think it was a double stack) and she had to stretch to reach the trigger.

The other thing I have to take into account is how hard it is to rack the slide. She does a good job but some are harder for her than others.

We will be at Riley for Steel Challenge this weekend....if any of you will be there and have a gun you think might work for her and would be willing to let her hold to see how it fits we would appreciate it.

That's another point in favor of a CZ. That tiny little slide doesn't require much springing for normal power 9mm. With an 11lb recoil spring, it's the easiest to rack of any semi-auto I've owned (small/large frame Glocks, M&P, XDm, 1911, HK USP, etc)

Coach's idea to run it in limited wouldn't be a bad way to go.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    CZ SP-01 Shadow in 9mm, have her shoot in Limited division.

Or, get a Gen 3 Glock 34, have some grip reduction work done to it and, again, have her shoot in Limited dicision.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    I see value in having her shoot limited and reload less.

Those of you suggesting the CZ....do you see any issue with her using DA/SA or should I look at SA only? I will have her try my Sig 226 again but I don't think she liked the DA on the first shot.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I see value in having her shoot limited and reload less.

Those of you suggesting the CZ....do you see any issue with her using DA/SA or should I look at SA only? I will have her try my Sig 226 again but I don't think she liked the DA on the first shot.

If she runs it limited, she can shoot SA only. It has cocked and locked capability like a 1911. It'd probably be easier on her than manually decocking it to start DA as well.

That said, a mildly tuned up shadow DA pull is nothing like a bone stock, or even tuned 226 DA.

You can get them down into the 5-6 lb range pretty easily, if she wanted to shoot production. The DA reach is significantly shorter than a 226 as well.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Rob377 is our resisdent CZ expert, but if I am not mistaken, most all of the CZ variants are available in SA, and I would recommend to go that route.

However, that can be a bit pricey, but worth it IMHO.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Rob377 is our resisdent CZ expert, but if I am not mistaken, most all of the CZ variants are available in SA, and I would recommend to go that route.

However, that can be a bit pricey, but worth it IMHO.

The most cost effective option would probably be a basic SP01 or 75B with the thin grips and swap out a few springs. With that setup, you're OTD for about the same price as any of the popular plastic guns.

Converting a basic 75 to SAO would be fairly cheap and easy, but isn't necessary to run it from cocked and locked.

They sell a basic 75 SAO model from the factory too.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    So it seems a SP-01 Shadow set up to be SA only might be an option. As far as price I am willing to pay more upfront to get something that works out of the box without me having to do anything to it.

Are there any dealers around that carry these? I am near Terre Haute and wouldn't mind driving a couple of hours or so to let her handle one.

Thanks for all the info I am receiving....it is greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom