• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    Richard Henry Lee (a framer of the Bill of Rights): "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

I like this especially because, to me, it negates any argument that the 2nd Amendment was designed only for a militia.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    As stated in the cited article, background checks don't prevent criminals from getting guns, but background checks do prevent someone with a criminal record from waltzing into Gander Mountain and buying one. I just don't think that the background checks are that onerous, nor do they "infringe" upon my rights.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    As stated in the cited article, background checks don't prevent criminals from getting guns, but background checks do prevent someone with a criminal record from waltzing into Gander Mountain and buying one. I just don't think that the background checks are that onerous, nor do they "infringe" upon my rights.

And what difference does it make if they get it on a street corner as opposed to Gander Mountain? They still have the gun.

The bad side of required background checks is twofold:

- They serve as de-facto registration, a record of who bought guns when. Yes, yes, they aren't supposed to keep that information. And if you believe that, have I got a deal for you....

- They serve as "desensitization" toward additional restrictions. cf the parable of the Camel's Nose.

Mind you, reversing existing background checks is pretty far down the list of priorities, but that doesn't mean that resistance to further encroachment is not warranted.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Richard Henry Lee (a framer of the Bill of Rights): To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.
    I like this especially because, to me, it negates any argument that the 2nd Amendment was designed only for a militia.
    It also eliminated the idea that rifles should only be kept for hunting. Nothing of the founding fathers correspondence suggested that were only for hunting, unless it was for hunting redcoats.

Top Bottom