• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Beretta 84FS, not because of any fault of the gun but because it was bought for my wife without her presence and having tried it. Nice gun for a .380 but she couldn't work with the open top slide. Not enough to the sides for her to slingshot so she overhand-racked it and got the heel of her hand bit between the breech and chamber. After that it was that evil malicious bitey gun she didn't even want to hold much less shoot.

That's unfortunate! Had you told us about it at the time, we could have told you about the "LA Claw" or "LA Hook," which is a way of easily racking the slide on a Beretta or S&W 3rd Gen or similar gun that also prevents the thumb safety from engaging.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    That's unfortunate! Had you told us about it at the time, we could have told you about the "LA Claw" or "LA Hook," which is a way of easily racking the slide on a Beretta or S&W 3rd Gen or similar gun that also prevents the thumb safety from engaging.

The 81 series (not he 80 series, the 80 and 80xx are totally separate :n00b:) has a frame mounted safety that doesn't get in the way much. The flat grippy area of the 85 is maybe 1/2" tall and even I'll admit it's a STOUT recoil spring. She could rack it though and did fine several times. All the nails in the coffin were that IT hurt HER. Once that happened not a thing in the world would have saved it. She's 100lbs wrapped in a wet blanket with artist/small electronics hand strength (not much). Since I don't see that changing any time soon, what's the "LA Claw/Hook" method?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, it would have been useless on that gun! I missed the FS. The version that has the slide mounted safety/decocker is what I was thinking.

The claw involves hooking the safeties on each side with the index finger and middle finger of your support hand to pull on the slide. It works really well and also prevents inadvertently pressing the safety levers down.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    In my early days of gun buying, I wanted a shotgun and a good friend sold me his. There was nothing internally wrong with it but it was a shotgun with just a pistol grip. No stock of course, but as a beginner, I had no idea how to use it and never shot it once. I sold it much later and bought a properly stocked one.

Tranquil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Plainfield
    Was shocked at how bad my Springfield 1911 Range Officer compact was. I was so pumped to shoot it.. nothing but a disappointment. Sent it back to the factory 3 times before I finally got fed up with it and gave up.

ikendrick15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Taurus 24/7 G2. It had the worst trigger I've ever used, it was heavy, high bored, and just an all around bad purchase. I sold it and bought a Glock.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Well, it would have been useless on that gun! I missed the FS. The version that has the slide mounted safety/decocker is what I was thinking.

The claw involves hooking the safeties on each side with the index finger and middle finger of your support hand to pull on the slide. It works really well and also prevents inadvertently pressing the safety levers down.

That's exactly the technique that I use with my own S&W third gen, and it works 100% of the time.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    A Dan Wesson Model 15 .357mag with a 2", 4" and 6" barrel. It was a very pretty gun and I paid $325 in the early 80's. It was way out of timing and would shave every bullet and sent bits into my face. Hated it. I traded it at a gun show for a Ruger Redhawk. Still have the Redhawk.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Every Beretta I ever bought. I love the way they look and feel, but I could not hit the broadside of a battleship with them. I managed to qualify in the military with the M9, but never was any good with them after the military. I always sold them off to fund another project.
    Similar issue with me. I've never owned anything that didn't run right, or was a complete waste of money. In my early days as a shooter, I traded around a bit, learned a lot, and eventually found things I really enjoy that work well for me.

The one I had the highest hopes for was a Beretta M9A1 Compact (basically a compact 92 with a rail). Loved the way it looked, and racking the slide was like it was on ball bearings. And what a soft, smooth shooter. Recoil? What recoil?!? It was almost like shooting 38 specials out of a K-frame revolver, barely any kick at all. I added WC rosewood grips that I thought made it a real looker, as well as the "D" spring, which was probably the easiest bit of gunsmithing I've ever done. But like tcecil88, I could never get consistent with it. The trigger broke really far back in the trigger guard after you hit the wall where you thought it would break. After getting into 1911s, Cajonized CZs, and mildly tuned revolvers, the Beretta trigger never felt right to me. I didn't keep it long. I really, REALLY wanted to love it, but it just didn't work out.

IMG_2590.JPG

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I usually don't sell guns, since a lot of research goes into each purchase. But I had to let two Calicos go. I was REALLY into them at one point, and owned 3. Just the coolest gun ever! In theory.
    In practice, not so much. Lots of misfires, light strikes, and mag feed problems. The two older ones were crap, and I was glad to be rid of them. The newer one functions well, and will burn though a full 50 round mag without a hitch. Kept that one.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Kimber Tactical Custom II

The feed ramp on the aluminum frame was so soft it looked like an orange peel after a few hundred rounds.
    Finding a hollow point that would feed well was impossible.
    Kimber CS turned me against ever owning one again.

Savage300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'd like to cast my vote for the Taurus Judge. Especcially using its propriortary ammo. I cant remeber what the ammo is called, but it was three disks stacked in front of a lil bird shot. It looked impressive enough in the diagram,. The expereince at the range however was very disapointing. I purchased this combo for my parents knowing they would carry basicall zero training time. anywho.... at the range this load wouldnt hit minute of man with any real leathaslioty at more than six feet. I'm thinking the twow inch barrel isnt enough to get any redal grouping.....just my .02

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Several come to mind:

Kimmel AP9 - the damn thing never worked right. I don't know how you mess up a simple blow-back 9mm gun, but they did.

Jennings J22 - Duh. Total crap.

USFA ZIP 22 - total garbage, never worked right. Got rid of it soon after buying it.

TNW Suomi K31 - The gun actually ran completely fine and would chug through just about anything you fed it. The problem is that the K31 is the most aggressively right handed auto I think I have ever shot (excepting some of those weird AK bullpups where if you tried to shoot them left handed, they would tear open your face). I traded it a month or so after buying it for a Enfield No. 7 Jungle Carbine (basically an Ishapore 2a turned into a No. 5 Jungle Carbine copy).

There are more I'm sure. Outside a few core firearms, my collection tends to fluctuate a lot. I'll pick up something on a whim and then if I don't really care for it, I'll sell it or trade it off for something else.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Please say you didn't let that BPS slip out of your grasp as part of getting to that O/U lemon.
    I've never personally handled one, but I've heard lots of favorable comments from those who have one.

Oh no that BPS has a lifetime contract with me. It won't go anywhere until I die. Even among the other Browning shotguns I have, it holds the most sentimental value to me. I have shot a bunch of bunnies, pheasant, a few squirrels and countless clays. I still feel like it shoulders and points the best naturally.

Pistoleer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Twelve Mile
    Without a doubt, it was a Lorcin .380 that I picked up at a gun show in New Orleans some 25 years ago. I sold it a few months later to a guy who was also, at the time, too ignorant to know better.

Top Bottom