What EDC do you find useful for a new dad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I have the tactical baby gear diaper bag. Comes with changing mat and can hold everything ya need. Used it for 3 kids now. That pad has been crapped on more than the state craps on us. Plus bag looks cool

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    First off I'm hoping this is where this goes.

Well just found out I'm gonna be a dad. Was wondering what everyone's thoughts/suggestions would be for making a new EDC bag and pockets.
    Thanks for the input in advance.

@RealHonestAbe to answer your question more thoroughly, the following has been my favorite for several years. Can be found for about half or so the listed OEM price.

Checks a lot of boxes for me; "grey man", spacious, compartmental, and durable.

As far as it's contents? You'll figure it out. Think of it like backpacking. You'll learn what is unneeded luxury weight quickly. (A smarter man keeps a lot of these needs in both vehicles at all times anywho). You'll change loadouts like it was last seasons chest rig colors.

I was never into the "tactical daddy bag" thing. An old Musette bag is also just cool.

Amazon product ASIN B001N4RKW8

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Also, compartmentalizing/kitting helps. Ditty bags and/or ziplock bags to hold groups of things helps. Like a bag that contains a change of clothes and an extra diaper. That way you have easy access to what you needs in one bag, with the ability to quickly swap with another. Like maybe you are carrying around a change of clothes with short sleeves but want to swap for long sleeves. swap baggies in an instant instead of rummaging through to figure out what needs to come out before you drop in the replacement.

Oh, and dont overlook cloth diapers. They aint your grandma's nasty nappies. Modern ones work great with fleece wicking lining and absorbent inserts, and waterproof outer covers. They arent hard to care for and you'll save a ton in the long run.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Congrats!!!!

A well-stocked diaper bag should contain (IMO): 1 more diaper than you think you'll need. And you'll inevitably need more than you think you will. 1 more change of clothes than you think you'll need. Make sure that the changing pad that comes with most bags stays with the diaper bag - they're a God-send.

But what should he carry for the baby?

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    That is terrific news, congratulations to you and your family.

Pictures, video and more pictures. Cherish that time while little. Everyone says they grow up fast and they do. It was just last week I was bringing home a 4lb little girl and this week I was at the auto auction trying to buy her, her first car.

****ing dust.

RealHonestAbe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2020
    Greenwood
    Also, compartmentalizing/kitting helps. Ditty bags and/or ziplock bags to hold groups of things helps. Like a bag that contains a change of clothes and an extra diaper. That way you have easy access to what you needs in one bag, with the ability to quickly swap with another. Like maybe you are carrying around a change of clothes with short sleeves but want to swap for long sleeves. swap baggies in an instant instead of rummaging through to figure out what needs to come out before you drop in the replacement.

Oh, and dont overlook cloth diapers. They aint your grandma's nasty nappies. Modern ones work great with fleece wicking lining and absorbent inserts, and waterproof outer covers. They arent hard to care for and you'll save a ton in the long run.

I've heard that kitting is kinda essential especially in the early stages. [mention]Ruger_Ronin [/mention] is gonna be helping since he is a uncle and all.

Multiple bags will be built. I still have sometime before time starts slipping away.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    So I'm 62 and have a 3 year old foster son. We got him when he was a couple months old.

So EDC carry bag for me & a baby is fairly recent memory for me. At 3 he is still in "pull ups" but he actually tries to use the real toilet most of the time. Still need to carry stuff, it just alters a bit over time.

DURING THE NEWBORN PHASE:
    • 2 small bottles, prefilled with powdered formula
    • 1 bottle of water, to mix into the above bottle with forumula
    • 4 diapers
    • package of diaper/bottom wipes
    • pacifiers (never had too many)
    • Changing mat
    • Small lightweight blanket can come in handy if you have room for it
    • 2 or 3 empty ziplock bags for keeping stuff clean or keeping dirty stuff away from clean stuff

AFTER THEY START SOLID FOODS:
    • all the above PLUS
    • increase to 6 diapers
    • 3 small bottles, but save 1 for Apple or fruit juice, others for formula or powdered milk
    • Juice box or 2 of Apple Juice
    • Baby utensils for feeding (in a ziplock bag)
    • Squeeze packages of baby food, these are more transportable than jars of food, and you can slowly 'squirt' them into a baby mouth in case you get the utensils dirty
    • healthy breakfast bars (Kellog Nutrigrain or similar)

AFTER THEY START USING A REAL TOILET
    • still have to carry some food, but able to shift away from bottles and just use juice boxes, etc. Plus healthy breakfast bars, etc. Shelf stable powdered milk + a water bottle is not a bad idea, but it won't be in a baby bottle anymore
    • Still need a couple 'pull ups' for accidents
    • Extra pair of clean pants if there is an accident

You may also want to keeps some of these things in a baby emergency bag in each of your cars, just the age appropriate basics in case you need to rush to the doctor, out of the house for a family emergency, etc. Basically an emergency only baby "go bag" but just keep it in the car. Less of all he above, but at least some of each of it. There are ALWAYS emergencies and the last thing you want to do is try to repack the baby bag during the same time you really NEED to get out the door in an emergency.

And your personal EDC will be in addition to all that. So figure you might need to start wearing cargo pants with lots of pockets because early on, you will be carrying all sorts of stuff you didn't plan on carrying.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So I'm 62 and have a 3 year old foster son. We got him when he was a couple months old.

So EDC carry bag for me & a baby is fairly recent memory for me. At 3 he is still in "pull ups" but he actually tries to use the real toilet most of the time. Still need to carry stuff, it just alters a bit over time.

DURING THE NEWBORN PHASE:
    • 2 small bottles, prefilled with powdered formula
    • 1 bottle of water, to mix into the above bottle with forumula
    • 4 diapers
    • package of diaper/bottom wipes
    • pacifiers (never had too many)
    • Changing mat
    • Small lightweight blanket can come in handy if you have room for it
    • 2 or 3 empty ziplock bags for keeping stuff clean or keeping dirty stuff away from clean stuff

AFTER THEY START SOLID FOODS:
    • all the above PLUS
    • increase to 6 diapers
    • 3 small bottles, but save 1 for Apple or fruit juice, others for formula or powdered milk
    • Juice box or 2 of Apple Juice
    • Baby utensils for feeding (in a ziplock bag)
    • Squeeze packages of baby food, these are more transportable than jars of food, and you can slowly 'squirt' them into a baby mouth in case you get the utensils dirty
    • healthy breakfast bars (Kellog Nutrigrain or similar)

AFTER THEY START USING A REAL TOILET
    • still have to carry some food, but able to shift away from bottles and just use juice boxes, etc. Plus healthy breakfast bars, etc. Shelf stable powdered milk + a water bottle is not a bad idea, but it won't be in a baby bottle anymore
    • Still need a couple 'pull ups' for accidents
    • Extra pair of clean pants if there is an accident

You may also want to keeps some of these things in a baby emergency bag in each of your cars, just the age appropriate basics in case you need to rush to the doctor, out of the house for a family emergency, etc. Basically an emergency only baby "go bag" but just keep it in the car. Less of all he above, but at least some of each of it. There are ALWAYS emergencies and the last thing you want to do is try to repack the baby bag during the same time you really NEED to get out the door in an emergency.

And your personal EDC will be in addition to all that. So figure you might need to start wearing cargo pants with lots of pockets because early on, you will be carrying all sorts of stuff you didn't plan on carrying.
    You are a better man than me. I'll be ok having a grandkid around possibly by the time I'm 62, but hopefully won't be taking care of one full time at that age.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Congrats! These here are words from the experienced....

1. Blow out kit in a Ziploc qt bag. Diaper,handful of wipes, full (seasonal rotation) outfit change incl. socks. Onesies are the devil.

These are words that may take some time to fully appreciate. But they matter greatly. I became more aware of this aspect as our kids got older....

Through it all, remember the relationship with your wife matters most....It's what brought the kids and family...and your kids will watch and remember how mom and dad love each other and carry that into their relationships.

Lastly, I'm gonna tell you about the part nobody has mentioned....the minivan.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Congrats! These here are words from the experienced....

These are words that may take some time to fully appreciate. But they matter greatly. I became more aware of this aspect as our kids got older....

Lastly, I'm gonna tell you about the part nobody has mentioned....the minivan.
    Oh he knows all about the Grand Caravan. The Shaggin' Wagon, ahoy!

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Best advice I can give you... given to me by my brother...YOU pick out the diaper bag, you're going to be carrying it, you don't want a pink bunny one (unless you do...) Blue, black, grey....something so your man card isn't revoked....Congrats it will change your life, and that's not a bad thing, My son just turned 21, he's been a blessing..

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Mine's fairly minimal, but I through a onesie, couple diapers, a travel size wipe package and a couple of the single serving formula sticks in a magpul daka pouch that fit in the storage compartment in the carseat base. That covered most emergencies for me. Almost always have a the diaper bag with all that stuff in it anyway.

Top Bottom