What drills did you run this week and how did you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Screenshot_20230819-164748.png

Above is a screenshot from yesterdays match. Why couldn't I have done this well last weekend at the MI state match? What did I do better here? How do the drills I do affect this? Well, first off I think a big part of it was just the fact that I was a week further along in the recovery from surgery process and I physically felt much better. This allowed for a better mental state as well.
    I was happy to get through the majority of this match feeling pretty good. I made it to our 5th stage before I had to put ice in my pants. That stage had 2 banks of 20 yard targets and quite a bit of uphill running in the sand.

The biggest positive was consistency. I did not make any big mistakes and just shot to my abilities without pushing. Of course there were some things that could have went better, I planned on one stage to do a tac load but fumbled it and gave up which meant a flat footed reload. That cost a few seconds. It would probably be advantageous to practice tac loads but I don't see much real world use for them.

Of course I should mention that the guy who wins most of the local matches had a gun problem on one stage that cost him quite a bit of time. That I have no control over.

Now I need to figure out what I did right and what I need to work on going forward.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    View attachment 294185

Above is a screenshot from yesterdays match. Why couldn't I have done this well last weekend at the MI state match? What did I do better here? How do the drills I do affect this? Well, first off I think a big part of it was just the fact that I was a week further along in the recovery from surgery process and I physically felt much better. This allowed for a better mental state as well.
    I was happy to get through the majority of this match feeling pretty good. I made it to our 5th stage before I had to put ice in my pants. That stage had 2 banks of 20 yard targets and quite a bit of uphill running in the sand.

The biggest positive was consistency. I did not make any big mistakes and just shot to my abilities without pushing. Of course there were some things that could have went better, I planned on one stage to do a tac load but fumbled it and gave up which meant a flat footed reload. That cost a few seconds. It would probably be advantageous to practice tac loads but I don't see much real world use for them.

Of course I should mention that the guy who wins most of the local matches had a gun problem on one stage that cost him quite a bit of time. That I have no control over.

Now I need to figure out what I did right and what I need to work on going forward.
    Well done sir!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Shooting BUG at tomorrow's match so that is what I practiced with tonight. I have to say, when I have the time to align the sights that little Canik is an accurate gun. Started with the Double Add 1 drill and danged if I didn't hit 9/10 first run cold on a 3X5.

Things didn't go nearly as well switching to the 20Alpha drill. Even starting at 7 yards it is tough for me to keep everything in the alpha/down zero with this little guy at speed. Part of it is just the slower draw due a little bit thanks to too tight of a holster.

I went to the same 3 target changing gears drill I ran last week with the full size dot gun and man what a difference. The head shots were especially tough to keep clean while trying to shoot at match pace. There were even a couple of misses on the steel.

The toughest thing with this gun remains trying to balance my speed and vision.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Sunday 8-27-23

Have the annual church qual coming up and I haven't shot the carry guns much lately so I took out the Sig 365XL and Staccato C2. I ran the Dyal Double Add 1 drill a few times with each and then I ran once each with the MCOLES LE in service qual that we use. I did manage to shoot a 100% with both guns well under the par time using just the down zero on the IDPA target even though the official target is a much larger scoring area. This test is quite easy. One big take away however is just how much easier it is to shoot the C2 well than the 365XL. Don't get me wrong, I like the XL but it is not comparable to the Staccato. It does carry easier being so slim though.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Ran through several IDPA 5x5 qualifiers with both the P320C and the P365XM.
    I have much to improve...

Oh, and working on quad loads for 1301: several rounds of shoot 3, load 4, shoot 3.
    Lather, rinse, repeat.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Ran through several IDPA 5x5 qualifiers with both the P320C and the P365XM.
    I have much to improve...

Oh, and working on quad loads for 1301: several rounds of shoot 3, load 4, shoot 3.
    Lather, rinse, repeat.
    For me the key on the IDPA 5X5 is to shoot it clean. At 1 second per point you (or at least I) can't shoot fast enough to make up for points down.

I pretty much gave up on quad loading. Just too much work for the reward. Now if I regularly shot 3 gun, that would be a different story.

Last edited:

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    For me the key on the IDPA 5X5 is to shoot it clean. At 1 second per point you (or at least I) can't shoot fast enough to make up for points down.

I pretty much gave up on quad loading. Just too much work for the reward. Now if I regularly shot 3 gun, that would be a different story.
    Yep, the points down is definitely the killer. But then again, that's what IDPA is all about: accuracy over speed, right?
    I was only -1 on the last 5x5 I ran. I am right on the cusp of moving from MM to SS.

Not sure I want to though...the guys in the Sharpshooter class all seem to be much, much faster than I am. Not sure I can commit to the time required vs my work schedule.

As for the quad-loads...I am probably faster just doing doubles at this point. (meaning I am faster at 2x2 vs 1x4).
    I seem to have a "yard sale" about every-other time I try a quad. smh.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Yep, the points down is definitely the killer. But then again, that's what IDPA is all about: accuracy over speed, right?
    I was only -1 on the last 5x5 I ran. I am right on the cusp of moving from MM to SS.

Not sure I want to though...the guys in the Sharpshooter class all seem to be much, much faster than I am. Not sure I can commit to the time required vs my work schedule.

As for the quad-loads...I am probably faster just doing doubles at this point. (meaning I am faster at 2x2 vs 1x4).
    I seem to have a "yard sale" about every-other time I try a quad. smh.
    Not saying you are doing this just a related story.

When I was involved and going through the IDPA SO class it was mentioned that some folks “sandbagged” to be classified in the division below their actual proficiency to do better at larger match’s.

My memory is fading as Covid and attendance issues made me stop trying to have a club and it’s been a while but if I remember right they could bump you up to the adequate classification if you sand bagged too much.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Not saying you are doing this just a related story.

When I was involved and going through the IDPA SO class it was mentioned that some folks “sandbagged” to be classified in the division below their actual proficiency to do better at larger match’s.

My memory is fading as Covid and attendance issues made me stop trying to have a club and it’s been a while but if I remember right they could bump you up to the adequate classification if you sand bagged too much.
    Trust me, I wish I was good enough to sandbag. Somehow, I don't think anyone would ever accuse me of that...lol

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Took the Staccato C2 out again today. Started with Double Add 1. Ran it 3 times to get a 10/10. Moved to the 20 Alpha next starting at 10. It readily became apparent to me that I have been neglecting my AIWB dry work as I was averaging a 1.4 second DTFH. Given a thousand rounds a day for a few weeks I might could make this work at 20.

Oddly enough there were a number of people at the range. I am not used to this but I guess being a holiday weekend and nice weather you will have that. I was sharing the bay with a nice husband and wife couple and when I got back from running a number of strings of my 5 round mini stage they asked if I was an officer. I said no. They then asked if I was military. I said not in a long time. I did throw them a bone and told them I compete. It is still humorous to me after all these years of doing this that normal people think police and military are automatically good shooters.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Going with friends tomorrow. I am going to be running from a comp belt setup, as opposed to my usual aiwb concealment. We are setting up the Standard Practice from Skills and Drills vol 1. I am getting some baseline data to see how few GM runs I can get ;) Those are old numbers and made when folks ran irons but they are still relevant skilled par times so it should be fun. I will either run an m&p 5" pc or a g45 with gpt. Haven't decided yet. If i go glock i will do some irons vs dot runs.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Ooof. What a day. I hadn't pushed myself this far outside of my comfort/control zone in some time. So many mikes/d's and c's. So i approached the runs as if i had the gm time listed was the par and pushed to see if i could perform the task at that speed so that i could see what it looked/felt like. Needless to say i am not a gm. Many of the tasks i could meet the par but the hits weren't there.

Everything was at 7 using the par from ben's skills and drills old book.

We jumped right in to my nemesis, the 2 second bill drill. I have never completed a clean 2 second bill. Today that did not change. I did however have one under 2 seconds but it was c's and d's. My final run was a 2.02 clean (only clean run with the rest about 50% c's). Still a record for me.

Next we did draw 2's. Par was 1.2. I made this one a few times with several guns. But i had twice as many runs that were A/C split. Fastest draw was .89 but it was an a/c split for a 1.14 total.

Where i really couldn't keep up at all was the singles. Three single shot transitiions in 1.4. I could neither make the time nor hits though my close timed runs had mikes involved. I could just not process fast enough to do anything other than get a gross aiming tecnique and a streak of red.

Four aces was the most fun. I had a lot of issues here with my best 2a2c run being 2.42 (.93, .20, 1.09, .20) when pushing for the 2.4 par. Lots of issues with mag insertion, missing grip, not indexing on mag right, and just general bad efforts all around.

After we finished up I ran my buddies shadow 2 through the draw 2 and 4 aces strings but still didn't come out clean, though i could get the draw 2 in time on occasion. Then i finished by running a shadow systems xr920 and had the best 4 aces time of the day - 2.59 clean (.98, .22, 1.17, .22).

While it was a giant failure as far as meeting goals it was a lot of fun to run beyond my current ability. Next time I'll do these at a match pace and see how far the gap is and work on closing it in dry practice.

My wrist is wrecked and that needs to heal up to get max performance but it's still just an excuse. I was outside of my comfort zone today. I really had no business expecting anything less since i don't practice much anymore but i plan on getting back into a dry practice routine, and i managed every day leading up to this. I would really like to roll a uspsa match again before the end of the season. It's been a long time. Maybe it would motivate me for the off season.

Best 4 Aces - left was m2.0 with 2a 2c and right was clean with shadow systems xr920.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Ooof. What a day. I hadn't pushed myself this far outside of my comfort/control zone in some time. So many mikes/d's and c's. So i approached the runs as if i had the gm time listed was the par and pushed to see if i could perform the task at that speed so that i could see what it looked/felt like. Needless to say i am not a gm. Many of the tasks i could meet the par but the hits weren't there.

Everything was at 7 using the par from ben's skills and drills old book.

We jumped right in to my nemesis, the 2 second bill drill. I have never completed a clean 2 second bill. Today that did not change. I did however have one under 2 seconds but it was c's and d's. My final run was a 2.02 clean (only clean run with the rest about 50% c's). Still a record for me.

Next we did draw 2's. Par was 1.2. I made this one a few times with several guns. But i had twice as many runs that were A/C split. Fastest draw was .89 but it was an a/c split for a 1.14 total.

Where i really couldn't keep up at all was the singles. Three single shot transitiions in 1.4. I could neither make the time nor hits though my close timed runs had mikes involved. I could just not process fast enough to do anything other than get a gross aiming tecnique and a streak of red.

Four aces was the most fun. I had a lot of issues here with my best 2a2c run being 2.42 (.93, .20, 1.09, .20) when pushing for the 2.4 par. Lots of issues with mag insertion, missing grip, not indexing on mag right, and just general bad efforts all around.

After we finished up I ran my buddies shadow 2 through the draw 2 and 4 aces strings but still didn't come out clean, though i could get the draw 2 in time on occasion. Then i finished by running a shadow systems xr920 and had the best 4 aces time of the day - 2.59 clean (.98, .22, 1.17, .22).

While it was a giant failure as far as meeting goals it was a lot of fun to run beyond my current ability. Next time I'll do these at a match pace and see how far the gap is and work on closing it in dry practice.

My wrist is wrecked and that needs to heal up to get max performance but it's still just an excuse. I was outside of my comfort zone today. I really had no business expecting anything less since i don't practice much anymore but i plan on getting back into a dry practice routine, and i managed every day leading up to this. I would really like to roll a uspsa match again before the end of the season. It's been a long time. Maybe it would motivate me for the off season.

Best 4 Aces - left was m2.0 with 2a 2c and right was clean with shadow systems xr920.
    I know the feeling. If you want to get there sometimes you have to do just what you did, and then like you say a lot of dry work. Sounds like a lot of fun. How was your grip working out when pushing? Consistent?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    PXL_20230904_204011833.jpg
    The above was cold from AIWB. I then ran it again with the Legion trying to cut the time down. I did but lost a bunch of points in the process and ended up with a lower HF of 7.83.

Yesterday at the IDPA match I shot my Staccato from regular carry gear. I didn't do bad, but I was way to slow coming in 9/45. More and more I am convinced that these people who have "carry rotations" are fooling themselves. I am not God's gift to shooters but am far better than your "typical" gun toter and I can not compete consistently when changing gear. I spent a week dry firing every day and a couple of live fire sessions and still had to shoot conservatively when the time came. Biggest slowdown was the different index, with weapon manipulation, specifically reloads coming in second.

Though I enjoy shooting my carry gun and gear, I should probably concentrate on match equipment until the Indiana State match.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    View attachment 297252
    The above was cold from AIWB. I then ran it again with the Legion trying to cut the time down. I did but lost a bunch of points in the process and ended up with a lower HF of 7.83.

Yesterday at the IDPA match I shot my Staccato from regular carry gear. I didn't do bad, but I was way to slow coming in 9/45. More and more I am convinced that these people who have "carry rotations" are fooling themselves. I am not God's gift to shooters but am far better than your "typical" gun toter and I can not compete consistently when changing gear. I spent a week dry firing every day and a couple of live fire sessions and still had to shoot conservatively when the time came. Biggest slowdown was the different index, with weapon manipulation, specifically reloads coming in second.

Though I enjoy shooting my carry gun and gear, I should probably concentrate on match equipment until the Indiana State match.
    I have not yet cleaned Dot Torture.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I know the feeling. If you want to get there sometimes you have to do just what you did, and then like you say a lot of dry work. Sounds like a lot of fun. How was your grip working out when pushing? Consistent?
    That was part of the problem, it wasn't. In large part due to my wrist problems currently acting up but there were several times I had a poor support hand position and rather than fix it, like i know i should, i just ran with it and to my detriment. Currently it brings pain to turn a door knob using my support hand so gripping a gun as i normally do is futile. But once the timer went off i didn't notice, other than the extra dot movement. But at sub 1 second draws and a touch over 1 second reload speed, i was holding on by the seat of my pants. If i start getting in consistent dry practice and let my wrist go through the cycle and heal up then i'll be able to harness more of my potential...duh...but easier said than done with my current jobs and schedule.

Top Bottom