• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have looked at some cars on Facebook Marketplace. 50 years of buying cars, I know that it is a crap shoot when buying cars from individuals. Two cars I drove out to see had advertisement saying something like "driven 46,000 miles". OK 46,000 on a 5 year old car is really good, that interests me. I get there and the car has 110,000+ on it. When I tell them that the ad said lower, they say "The ad is right, I only drove it 46,000", As if the 70,000+ that was on it when they bought does not count. Is this the new standard, or is it a marketplace thing, or some culture thing they brought up from Mexico?

Lpherr

Occupied
    I was looking for a '81 Z28 some years back. I found an ad for one in the exact color combo I wanted, and with very low mileage.
    The price was reasonable, so I went to look at it.
    Upon arriving, there was this completely rusted out car in the driveway. I was sure this wasn't the car advertised, but was assured it was.
    Not only was it rusted out all over, but it was leaking fluids from every gasket on the car.
    I questioned about the ad, and they guy said that's the miles it shows. I inspected a little more, and found the speedo cable was cut, likely from a trans extraction. This thing had to been driven a million miles... after the cable was cut.
    As much as I hated to, I walked away.:rolleyes:

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Driven miles vs actual odometer miles.

It's sort of like the government reporting a CPI number as inflation.
    The number is lower than actual inflation.

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom