• ...and so much more!
  • Psy_6att_6ica_6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    idaho
    Police kill armed man in WWII German uniform

A man dressed in a World War II-era Nazi uniform who was fatally shot by Seattle police on New Year's Day was fascinated with history and enjoyed re-enacting war events, friends say.

SEATTLE — A man dressed in a World War II-era Nazi uniform who was fatally shot by Seattle police on New Year's Day was fascinated with history and enjoyed re-enacting war events, friends say.
    The man, whose name has not been released by authorities, was shot outside his University District apartment early Thursday after police said he allegedly pointed a rifle with a large bayonet attached at officers.
    The man attended the University of Washington, said Bob Roseth, a UW spokesman.
    The man's mother told KING-TV that her son was a brilliant musician and student, who was on the UW dean's list.
    He was "a peaceful and loving young man," she told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. She also said she heard a different account of the shooting from a witness and that "the statement from the detectives left us with a lot of questions."
    Friends described the 22-year-old college senior as an eccentric history buff who occasionally showed up to class and work wearing military and other uniforms.
    But "he wasn't a Nazi," Hattie Taylor, a friend, told the P-I. "He was just fascinated with the past. ... He liked to dress up and have fun."
    Another friend, Spencer Bray, said the man wanted to be a German literature professor and had a large collection of WWII memorabilia.
    "I never heard him espousing any Nazi ideology; none of that interested him," Bray told The Seattle Times. "He liked the physical stuff from WWII because he was such a history buff."
    Bray said his friend sometimes wore kilts or uniforms, including U.S. and German gear from WWII, to class, but made sure to remove swastikas and other symbols from them.
    On his MySpace page, he had joked that he lived in a 1920s room and only entered "the 21st century when absolutely necessary," the newspapers said.
    Police were called to the neighborhood just north of the university early Thursday after neighbors complained that several men were firing rifle and shotgun rounds in an alley.

http://ads.nwsource.com/RealMedia/a...00x250.jpg/5259485a686b6c664c38674142637259?x
    Police traced the activity to a basement apartment of a three-story house.
    Seattle police spokesman Jeff Kappel said that when police knocked at the door, a man dressed in a German military uniform opened the door brandishing a long rifle with a large bayonet attached.
    Kappel said the man pointed the rifle at one of the police officers, and refused several orders to drop the weapon. Two officers shot him several times.
    The man was taken to Harborview Medical Center, where he later died.
    Police searching the house found a large collection of German military and Nazi regalia and a lot of alcohol, Kappel said.
    The two officers who fired at the man were placed on paid administrative leave, which is standard procedure.

Copyright © 2009 The Seattle Times Company

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    What do I think of this?

Friends described the 22-year-old college senior as an eccentric history buff who occasionally showed up to class and work wearing military and other uniforms.

Bray said his friend sometimes wore kilts or uniforms, including U.S. and German gear from WWII, to class,
    Sounds nutty to me.

Police searching the house found a large collection of German military and Nazi regalia and a lot of alcohol, Kappel said.

Nuff said.

;)

exar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to be a Civil War re-enactor. We can only speculate what really happened. However, with a ton of alcohol involved, things always tend to end badly. If big guns are all it takes to get gunned down in Seattle then they would really be terrified of my .577 Enfield rifle-musket with bayonet affixed. I guarantee it's bigger than his Mauser!!:draw:

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Re-enacting and wearing your uniforms to work or class are totally different. I can really appreciate a good re-enactor in character, but it sounds like he went a little to the extreme side.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Interesting that we didn't hear that he had an arsenal of weapons. Once again though there are 2 sides to each story. He answered the door with a rifle with a bayonet. That was probably good enough for them but who knows.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Seattle police spokesman Jeff Kappel said that when police knocked at the door, a man dressed in a German military uniform opened the door brandishing a long rifle with a large bayonet attached.
    Kappel said the man pointed the rifle at one of the police officers, and refused several orders to drop the weapon. Two officers shot him several times.

He answered the door with a rifle with a bayonet. That was probably good enough for them but who knows.

I take from the quote above that even though the police were faced with a person armed with a rifle with an attached bayonet they shouldn't have shot him, even though he pointed said rifle at an officer and refused to put it down when ordered?

Psy_6att_6ica_6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    idaho
    I take from the quote above that even though the police were faced with a person armed with a rifle with an attached bayonet they shouldn't have shot him, even though he pointed said rifle at an officer and refused to put it down when ordered?

i aggree, it says they shot him multiple times, nothing was said of him putting up a fight, i could see if they put one in his leg or tried to apprehend him( although dangerous) they could have even tased him. i dont think it was neccessary to kill him.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    i aggree, it says they shot him multiple times, nothing was said of him putting up a fight, i could see if they put one in his leg or tried to apprehend him( although dangerous) they could have even tased him. i dont think it was neccessary to kill him.

What does him putting up a fight have anything to do with him pointing a rifle at an officer? Are you going to go hands on with someone pointing a long gun at you? Maybe if you are within arms reach, but that would be pretty stupid to try if you are farther away than that. Police don't shoot to wound or disarm, nor do they shoot to kill. They are taught to shoot center mass to stop the threat, and if that doesn't work they are taught to aim for the head or pelvic girdle. And tasing someone who is armed isn't a viable option either, as evidenced here: http://www.odmp.org/officer/17455-police-officer-angel-andrew-barcena

Maybe they didn't have to kill him, but he didn't have to answer the door armed with a rifle. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Top Bottom