• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    For example, stock base plates when you swap them in magazines for +2 extensions. What do you do at the factory once throw them in a drawer and keep them forever it’s not like anybody wants them do they?
    Seems like I have a couple of small drawers, full of crap that I’m never gonna use but don’t really wanna throw away but it’s hard to believe anybody else is going to use it either honestly.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Everything goes into an individual baggy with a detailed label of what it is and where it came from. All those baggies get sorted into boxes (i.e. AR parts, pistol parts, AK parts, Glock parts, misc, etc). If I ever lose a screw, break an upgraded spring, or want to revert something back to factory, I don't wanna have to dig through a Box-o-parts to find what I need.

Every time I have to scour the internet to find a replacement part for an old gun, I think of all those Box-o-parts that spouses have chucked in the garbage after you guys kicked the bucket, and I curse your disorganized corpses!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    this is the correct, and only answer
    Everything goes into an individual baggy with a detailed label of what it is and where it came from.
    Actually, Nugget was a bit more detailed than I was. I do this too for important pieces. Like when I modified a vintage 10/22 for my daughter's first rifle. Normally I just dremel out the front post and add the Tech Sights. This time I went to a 'smith and had him carefully push it out so I could return it to 100% original later. So I can restore that rifle to factory if she ever wants to.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I suppose that's where i'm at with it - boxes of crap when I die that will be my kid's problem to toss. I guess i'll just do a clean out and throw the stuff in one of the gun box storage bins.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Ok maybe I'm a little different (no, who woulda thunk it?) But I have box of "common take off junk" the boxes of bagged & tagged target rifle, mill-surp, & hard to find parts.

I have a ledger of where to sell the stuff and "wholesale" price.

Did the same things with my rifles. Don't want my wife selling my 94 winchester for $100 , and I want her to understand the target rifles should be "parted out" some of this is an investment to me

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    I have junk like that in random boxes, on the work bench, on a book shelf, ammo shelf, etc. It is a mess. I will gather it all up and throw it away when I retire.
    This is the kind of thing that I dream about finding at a yard sale for $10 a box. Don't throw it away, make it some other guy's problem!

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Grabbed a handful out of a bin. Here is a OEM SAR trigger that was notorious for trigger slap that I replaced. But like those locks I throw in there (in the possible thoughts of resale or some random usage), the pile grows. I did have a thought of listing them on eBay or something. Until then, it grows.

20240216_071934.jpg

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I gave up keeping locks a long time ago. There may be a couple in gun boxes that are branded, but if they were loose and "generic", they got tossed.
    I changed 12 or so glock floor plates for Pearce +2's last night... the junk drawer grows. Tonight some ext slide bars and releases...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Just tossed two sets of Leupold Rifleman rings into my scrap metal bin.

Ive had so many odds and ends I now only keep the better stuff.

Hell, I have a box full of decent rings and parts I "might" be able to use.
    Actually, 4 boxes.
    Decided a 5th was not gonna happen.

Then I gotta stack those in tubs out in my storage area.
    It adds up.

If ya got the space for all the junk, so be it.

LMAO

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For common stuff, I just throw it away. It saves the steps of sorting it and keeping it for years and then throwing it away. I'd honestly rather pay $8 for a new widget then spend an hour sorting through random **** to find a used widget.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    if i take small parts off a gun, it goes in a zip lock bag and gets put in the box the gun came in, i keep those boxes up in the basement floor joists. if i ever decide to sell the gun i have all the original parts with it

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    I have a very long, flat storage box under my bed completely filled with random gun parts.

The other day I found four rounds of HST and factory grips for a 92s.

Careful.
    If there had been a disconnector in that box, the ATF may have come nosing around, talking gibberish about "constructive possession".
    :@ya:

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Grabbed a handful out of a bin. Here is a OEM SAR trigger that was notorious for trigger slap that I replaced. But like those locks I throw in there (in the possible thoughts of resale or some random usage), the pile grows. I did have a thought of listing them on eBay or something. Until then, it grows.

View attachment 333299

I'm going to be "that guy" for just a second, and ask an earnest question.
    If that trigger was so substandard, so egregious in its misperformance, why would you keep it.
    Are some of the bagged parts still useful in other applications? Or, since the totality of those parts was marginal, would you just be spreading the virus wherever you used them?
    I save takeoffs, but if it's trash I trash it.

Top Bottom