What county are you in and how is your sheriff?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Elkhart County, Siegel did say his officers would not be handing out tickets for the mask mandate.
    The officer that came out when they neighbors dogs killed 5 of the bosses chickens asked me pretty early in the meeting
    if I had a gun. I replied " maybe" and he said I would be well within my rights to use it and that he was a big fan of the 2nd Amendment

I've met a couple of Elkhart Co deputies and they've been decent dudes too. Didn't talk about 2A specifically, but very friendly overall. Makes me think Siegel is probably a decent dude too.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Bartholomew, Matt Meyers. He's a Republican and in my opinion he's ok. I voted for a stronger 2A candidate last time around but so be it.

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Vanderburgh County. Solid guy, he serves actively on the Friends of NRA committee, openly advocates for personal responsibility for self defense, and recently announced he was changing parties to Republican from Democrat.

(though let's be real, most southern Indiana democrats are pro-life and A+ rated from the NRA)
    Also from Vanderburgh and agree with everything said.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Another thumbs up from Starke County for Bill Dulin. He's been an excellent sheriff. I'll be very sorry to see him leave office. He's been GREAT for our county.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    St Joe Co's Bill Redman seems like a good dude, from the limited dealings I've had with him. Even if he is a democrat.

Kinda hard in these parts to get a countywide elected official who's not a democrat.:dunno:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Dubois here, I like the sherrif we have now. The last one was a POS. I watched his daughter get taken away from many high school parties that got busted, but her paperwork always disappeared. He was also sleeping with some of his deputies.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As everyone is giving their Sheriff the big thumbs up on 2A because he eats tenderloins at the county fair, let's remember when the Sheriff's Assn took a position on ConCarry, there were only 3 or 4 that was for it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I still think you folks are fooling yourselves into false security, thinking your local sheriff won't enforce the law of the land.

While they may not come knock down your door to confiscate your weapons, there are plenty of circumstances where their hands are tied and compounding situations take your 2A situation into court.

That's not even discussing what federal level law enforcement and legal system can and will do. Do we remember What Joe Hogsett did before becoming mayor of Indy. Do we remember how he got his face on the news so many times?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I still think you folks are fooling yourselves into false security, thinking your local sheriff won't enforce the law of the land.

While they may not come knock down your door to confiscate your weapons, there are plenty of circumstances where their hands are tied and compounding situations take your 2A situation into court.

That's not even discussing what federal level law enforcement and legal system can and will do. Do we remember What Joe Hogsett did before becoming mayor of Indy. Do we remember how he got his face on the news so many times?

The focus needs to be keeping (more) bad laws from being made. Counting on individual sheriffs to not enforce laws...well, by and large, people who are prosecuted under federal law for gun violations, local law enforcement is frequently not involved at all.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana

Indy and where I live in Indiana are like two different worlds. Where I live we think of Indianapolis on the same level as Chi-town or NYC. Sorry, but that's how we feel so we don't compare Joe Hogsett with our local police. Same thing as the voting in this country: city people vs. rural folk. Different values.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    St Joe Co

[...]

Kinda hard in these parts to get a countywide elected official who's not a democrat.:dunno:

You're 1 county away from that being different.

As everyone is giving their Sheriff the big thumbs up on 2A because he eats tenderloins at the county fair, let's remember when the Sheriff's Assn took a position on ConCarry, there were only 3 or 4 that was for it.

Fair point, but as I just said to Ghuns, at least our guy is a Republican. Doesn't mean he's pro 2A, but it's probably better than the alternative. You did make me dig deeper though. Siegel started his career in Lagrange so he's just about as country as it gets for northern IN. If he's not pro-2A, he bumped his head at some point. Old boy also has a framed shotgun in his office. Could be his, could be county memorabilia? :dunno:

https://www.facebook.com/ecsonews/p...13062446809&reply_comment_id=2442987355742713

However... If the comments from that photo are what he answered in the video below, he skipped pretty much every policy question people asked (and answered a bunch that nobody did?):

https://www.facebook.com/ecsonews/videos/326768401280884/?__so__=channel_tab&__rv__=all_videos_card

Gotta think I'm not putting the pieces together correctly here, but that's what I found. I don't Facebook, but if you do, you could always just ask him?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Indy and where I live in Indiana are like two different worlds. Where I live we think of Indianapolis on the same level as Chi-town or NYC. Sorry, but that's how we feel so we don't compare Joe Hogsett with our local police. Same thing as the voting in this country: city people vs. rural folk. Different values.

Sorry I wasn't clear. Before being elected mayor of Indy, Hogsett was a United States Attorney for the Southern District of Indiana, appointed by Obama. He was in charge of Federal law enforcement and got his face on the news numerous times for trapping then raiding FFL's.

Your local sheriff would have no say in what the feds might do to you.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Monroe, they pretty much just run the jail and do what Bloomington says. Zero resistance to the health department nonsense. Zero standing up to the city.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Sorry I wasn't clear. Before being elected mayor of Indy, Hogsett was a United States Attorney for the Southern District of Indiana, appointed by Obama. He was in charge of Federal law enforcement and got his face on the news numerous times for trapping then raiding FFL's.

Your local sheriff would have no say in what the feds might do to you.

Got it, thanks for the explanation - makes more sense now. However, I will point out that there are only 6,200 ATF field agents. If they go door to door confiscation (which I don't think they will do) they will be vastly outnumbered and will have their ranks quickly diminished. What I could see them doing is after Sleepy Joe does his $200 fee EO to keep certain guns and not many people comply, I could see the ATF strategically raiding certain gun ranges on say a busy Saturday and arresting lots of law abiding gun owners because they didn't pay the $200 fee and then also giving themselves the opportunity to shut down those ranges that allowed people who were in violation to shoot on their premises. ATF shuts down the ranges then they cut off a lot of people who want to enjoy the hobby (easier for the ATF to catch people at public ranges versus kicking down our doors and taking them from our homes).

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

To be fair they did decline to enforce the county health BS, probably because they legit don't have the staff to run around writing idiotic covid tickets. But they didn't really speak up or criticize it.

The county just hired their own rent-a-goons to do enforcement, so it's a moot point.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    St Joe Co's Bill Redman seems like a good dude, from the limited dealings I've had with him. Even if he is a democrat.

Redman had to run as a Democrat to get elected.St.Joe is good for awhile.

Top Bottom