• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Typically I’m of the opinion that less .gov is better. But in this case I’ll defer to the game biologist, after all they are the ones in charge of all things wildlife.

Some here don’t remember when deer in Indiana were unknown, it’s because of the efforts of a few sportsman and work by wildlife professionals that brought the deer herd to where it is today. Just like the recent reintroduction of Turkey and river otter.

Without proper regulations we would be back to no deer or other wild critters of value just like it was in recent past history.
    JMO.
    The DNR biologists had next to nothing to do with the cartridge regulations on private vs. public land, it was the state legislature that made that decision in attempt to appease some idiots. Their only involvement was lacking the courage to legalize rifles in the first place, forcing the legislature to act.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Public land I am using 350 legend since I’m sharing with recoil sensitive shooters. If it were just me I would use 450bm

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Yep. You can actually use the .40 S&W.
    I think 10mm and 40 s&w are legal only in handguns. They don't meet the minimum case requirement. I know it doesn't make sense to be legal in handgun and not rifle, but that seems to be what the dnr booklet states.

Last edited:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Unfortunately my issue is we're new out here. And don't know anyone nor have the property to private hunt. So stuck with public and their rules..
    I ended up grabbing a 300blk barrel for my ar...
    Pistol ar? 300blk isn’t good for public in rifle form to my knowledge.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    30-30
    30-06
    Pretty much on the .30-30...great round for use in deer hunting.
    I've never hunted on 'public land' as our family owns three (3) farms and we hunt on a rotation so no one person gets to hunt the same section every year...it kinda spreads the 'luck' around a bit!
    This year, I'm actually going to use .357 magnum out of a 5" Ruger GP100...I'll need to be lucky (at least distance-wise) for that to work!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Back when I hunted public land it was with a 12 gauge, Knight muzzle loader and finally a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. I hunt my own ground now, still use the Knight and Marlin. Both shoot accurately as far as I can see in the woods. I also get a historic lever gun out on occasion in a variety of calibers. Using a 120+ year old Winchester 1873 in 44-40 makes for an interesting hunt.

Top Bottom