• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    Start off by saying that I haven't reloaded a single cartridge before, but I saw 9mm bullets at the greenfield show, so i had to buy them! but now I'm trying to find load data, and I want to be sure of the bullet type before I do.

And yes - I have everything else. cci 500's, power pistol, 700ish pieces of brass, blah blah blah

So - here are a couple pictures. Only labeled "115gr RN 9mm" on the ziplock bag they came in.

I'm sure once I get into it i will be able to easily distinguish, but up to this point everything has been off the shelf target ammo.

qqd9.jpg

odva.jpg

98fm.jpg

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    It is normally referred to as FMJ (full metal jacket) or ball. Most reloading manuals will probably show it as RN (round nose) or FMJ.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Plated and FMJ aren't quite the same. The thin copper plating doesn't perform the same way a copper jacket does. Rainier, for example, recommends using lead loading data.

Rainier Ballistics, LLC | Load Data
    We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data.
    If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend a starting powder charge directly between the listed minimum and maximum load, and you may use published load data found in reputable reloading manuals.
    A slight roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets;
    Overcrimping plated bullets may result in decreased accuracy, and fragmentation of copper plating.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Agree with the other poster they look to be either Rainier or Berry's....

If you run into their 124gr offerings sometime in either RN or their FP, might grab a bag of them also and see which works best in your pistol... Then once you decide what weight works best for you and your gun, buy em by the case and save...

No need to smash one to verify if plated or jacketed... If plated, you'll see bare lead really easily if you take a small sharp instrument and scratch the bottom on one...

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    no, just scratch the bottom of one with a nail or something. if it is plated then it ill be easy to remove the copper, if if it is a jacket, the copper will be scratched and you will still see copper rather than lead.

should i smash the crap out of it with a hammer to show whats underneath? :D

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    They just look too much like plated... Actually, they look identical the the Rainiers I have sitting here... I'd try scraping a little harder... The plating will be a good few thousandths thick...

But to answer your question, if in fact they do turn out to be jacketed, yes, you will use FMJ load data for the bullet with a RN profile... The RN profile vs another profile won't have much bearing on the charge, but it will on the OAL....

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Trust but Verify

Good looking bullets..For your first loads, load them to the Hi end of cast lead data, or the low/mid level of jacketed. You should do well with these.
    One thing that I would do..Weigh three of them together+divide by three..This will tell you the correct weight of the projectiles. You may do this 2-3 times to be sure of the weight before you go to your load data to determine the proper charge weight of powder.
    The bag says 115gr. BUT check for yourself...Bill.

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Since they have a flat bottom, they appear to be either Berry's or Xtreme. Not Rainer's. But definitely plated. Start mid range of FMJ data, and work your way up from there, if necessary

bulletbaron

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    NW Indiana

A Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) uses a copper (or alloy) cup that has a lead slug hydraulically pressed into it, leaving the lead showing at the base of the bullet, while a Total Copper Jacket (TCJ) is where a preformed slug is electrically plated to give 100% copper coverage over the entire bullet. So when a FMJ bullet is fired, the heat of the burning powder atomizes some of the lead giving the grey haze in the range and nasty taste in ones mouth, but with the TCJ bullet, the copper plating on the bottom has a higher melting point and does not atomize.

So what you have is a bag of TCJ bullets, made by Rainier, Berry's, X-Treme or one of the smaller bullet platers

Top Bottom